pocket carry?

This is a discussion on pocket carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed this mentioned a couple times. I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on it. Do you think it's better or worse ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pocket carry?

pocket carry?

I've noticed this mentioned a couple times. I just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on it. Do you think it's better or worse than IWB tucked? What issues are there to consider? Etc.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Assuming a small enough handgun and room in the pocket, nothing beats the convenience of pocket carry. It's no more trouble than putting a wallet or a cell phone in your pocket.......an absolute no-brainer, and that's the allure for most.

Tucking IWB can be a bit of a pain, but is much better suited to a larger handgun. I pocket carry my Seecamp. I carry IWB, either tucked or untucked my Kahr K9. If I'm not already carrying and just want to run down to the corner store for some milk, I'll drop the Seecamp in my pocket every time.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Ron
    I much prefer pocket carry. Find it more comfortable then IWB.

The disadvantage is that it can be difficult to draw when seated. Other then that, it is by far my preferred method of concealed carry.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I think the advantages of pocket carry far outweigh the disadvantages. There is something to be said about quickly grabbing your gun and pocket holster and heading out the door no fuss no muss.

You don't have to worry about wearing a belt or even printing if you have a small enough gun.

At some point i plan on getting a PF-9 to pocket carry with.

Nothing beats a J-fame in your jacket pocket with your hand on it when a bad guy walks up to you.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Pocket carry is my first choice, IWB second. Nothing beats just tossing your gun in your pocket when needed. I've tried a few pocket holsters and while many are very good, I've grown to like my FIST K5 the best with my PM9.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I got a pocket pistol, and carried it that way for weeks....then I got a IWB holster and havent put it in the pocket since. Habit or maybe the weapon, but I perfer it in a holster at 4oclock. Try both, see what works for you.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

i like the ability to put a gun the pocket and go..
    i have a 22mag with folding grip..
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Pocket Carry allows me to have my hand on a gun with nobody the wiser.

I carry a BUG in my pocket on my support side. My primary gun is IWB.

Biker

VIP Member
    The only downside to pocket carry is when seated in the driver's seat with the seat belt buckled; impossible to get at it if it is in the right side front pocket.

I don't use an ankle holster, but I can see some real advantage to carrying two guns. Assuming right handed shooter, one in ankle on left leg that is readily accessible while seated (especially in the car) and the other in rt front pocket.

For the climate where I live and my body build, I just don't see an alternative to pocket carry.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The only downside to pocket carry is when seated in the driver's seat with the seat belt buckled; impossible to get at it if it is in the right side front pocket.

I don't use an ankle holster, but I can see some real advantage to carrying two guns. Assuming right handed shooter, one in ankle on left leg that is readily accessible while seated (especially in the car) and the other in rt front pocket.

For the climate where I live and my body build, I just don't see an alternative to pocket carry.
    Lately one combination I've been carrying a lot is the Glock 26 in an Alessi ankle rig, and a PM9 in a Milt Sparks pocket holster (front pocket). Then, the only choice I need to make is which one to carry a spare mag for (usually a G 19 mag in a DeSantis Mag Packer in the off side front pocket- either that or two PM9 mags in a WRB holder, same pocket).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

EW3
    I love pocket carry. I have an NAA Pug in .22 Magnum in my right front pocket almost everywhere I go, and no one has any idea it's there but me.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Do you think it's better or worse than IWB tucked?...
    I think pocket carry and IWB (tucked or untucked) are all about the same draw time (overall, however some people find they are faster with one method over the others).

IMO, only down side of pocket carry is in the car (solved by having a deticated car gun and mostly solved by just placing the pistol in a coat pocket during winter or stashing it someplace in the car while driving). You tend to go with weaker (but still lethal) choices. I've gotten lazy, and have gone from standard size / full frame Glock to a snub. That is a considerable change in capacity and firepower. But I'm far more comfortable.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I prefer pocket carry, 1st OWB second. I pocket carry everyday. Largest gun-Glock 26. I wear cargo style pants with polo shirts. With a pocket holster, it looks like you have a large wallet in your front pocket. I have carried it without a pocket holster, using a safety block in the trigger. The problem with that is the gun will move around in the pocket and when you reach in for it you never know what your gonna get, and it will also print. I also have a kel tec PF9 and it pocket carries much easier than the Glock 26, but I would rather have the G26 if I had to use them. I use a DeSantis pocket holster for both.

The main reason I love pocket carry is the ability to casually put your hand in pocket on the gun. If it's just another false alarm, your just walking with your hand in your pocket.

Regards
    J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    ...........The main reason I love pocket carry is the ability to casually put your hand in pocket on the gun. If it's just another false alarm, your just walking with your hand in your pocket.

Regards
    J.S.
    This is a definite advantage. While my main method of carry is IWB, I occasionally pocket carry due to style of dress and in a questionable situation, there's something very comforting about having your hand wrapped around that grip and nobody knows.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links