Another Max-Con V success!

This is a discussion on Another Max-Con V success! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, no pictures to show yet (I'll get to that in a minute). Went to check the mail and picked up my new Max-Con ...

Thread: Another Max-Con V success!

Talking Another Max-Con V success!

First off, no pictures to show yet (I'll get to that in a minute). Went to check the mail and picked up my new Max-Con V and double mag pouch. Got back inside, opened up the box and guess what?! .... FREE BUBBLE WRAP!!!! Anyway, the story begins here ....

In my haste to tell everyone here (and get some pics) I immediately holstered my Mil-Spec - first mistake! It was snug, like any new holster would be. To overcome this I put a pillow on my chair, positioned the semi-holstered gun muzzle down into the pillow and used my weight to seat it for pics - ultimate mistake!

Turns out my camera batteries are dead so I decide to unholster the gun and wrap it in the wax paper to break in the holster ... like Gary's instructions say to do FIRST!. You guessed it, STUCK-A-ROONIE!!! Crap, I knew that was going to happen. So I pull, I tug, I curse myself ... pull some more, light a cigarette, curse the cat ... Turning the thing muzzle up (unloaded of course) I put the gun grip under my thigh and tug that way ... curse the neighbors & GUNNY! Now dripping with sweat and thoroughly ticked off at myself I remember my bench vise - Yep, that'll do ... that's GOTTA do it! So I wrap the grip in an old towel, step outside and lock the &%^$*#@ gun in the vise. Positioning myself directly above the holster (the one that's now mocking me) I squat just a bit, breathe in deep (now the epitome of an Olympic power lifter), wrap my now shaking hands around the holster wings and lift while standing ... the holster loses its death grip, SUCCESS AT LAST!!! Thank God for bench vises - no this isn't the first time it's saved me from myself.

So I lit another cigarette and called Gary to tell him it's in. We talked for a bit and I told him how impressed I am with the outfit (and I really am, it's absolutely perfect!) . Then I sheepishly admit to the aforementioned fiasco - giving him the short version. At this point Gary, being the ever so politically correct guy that he is says, "Umm ... that's why I put the instructions inside the holster, so you wouldn't do that." . Come on guys, we've all done it (Haven't we?). Anyway, I went ahead and ordered a new Combat Dress Belt while I had him on the phone. My current Milt Sparks belt is about 6 years old and, while it's still got some life left in it, it seems to have somehow shrunken a couple of inches lately ... that's my story anyway.

For those of you who are waiting on your Max-Cons, follow Gary's instructions when it comes in, it makes life a whole lot easier. So now my Max-Con V sits with my wax paper wrapped 1911 inserted, right next to my double mag pouch with my wax paper wrapped range mags inserted and my light pouch with ... you guessed it, my wax paper wrapped Surefire 6P inserted. That's why no pictures yet!

For the brief time I had it on today I could already tell it was keeper, even before the normal "moulding to the butt" process it sits comfortably - that's always a good sign. I'm sure that'll only get better over the next few days to a week or so. The double mag pouch is a winner too as the forward angle gets the base pads out from under the ribcage and it's like it's not even there. The overall fit and finish of both pieces (three if you count the light pouch) is outstanding and the craftsmanship is second to none. There's more I could say here but since this has already become a novel I'll just end by saying Gary's work kicks a** without exception and his customer service is EVEN BETTER.

Thanks for the great gear and another fun conversation Gary, it's always a pleasure.
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can't wait to see pics of your rig when it comes out of its wax paper cocoon.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks !

Thanks for the post ! I have a Max Con V on order for my Kahr K9 Elite (as well as a mag pouch and belt) and look forward to its arrival. I'll be sure to follow Gary's instructions to the letter and hopefully avoid the ol' "stuck-a-roonie" lol. Maybe I'll spend some time popping the free bubble wrap while I read

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    now that is a good story...fortunately, I did not have that happen to me a few weeks ago when I received mine. yes his work is awesome, and the more you wear it the better it feels. I also have a bench vise....just for those occassions. Santa also uses it to put together various toys around xmas time....man are those things complicated!!!
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Good morning!
    I chugged two quick cups of coffee and checked the leather's progress. Gave the hardware a quick tug, it didn't budge. Aah, this time I went straight to the vise! nowhere near the resistance this time but it still saved a good bit of aggrevation - as Gary said, the wax paper works better than plastic baggies I've always used as it deposits just a bit of wax on the leather's surface and acts a bit like lube.

Back inside I gear up and start my practice draws. Not quite effortless yet but it shouldn't be, final break-in is more like fine tuning so that's done through repeated draws ... okay, so I look like Barney Fife practicing my draw in the bathroom mirror - where'd I put my bullet? LOL

Still can't get over how much more comfortable this mag pouch is than the vertical drop models I've always used before. I wish I'd found his website years ago! The holster itself is quite comfortable already, as I knew it would be. I'm still adjusting the position to find the very best location for concealment. So far it seems 3:30 to 4:30 does the job well, is easy to draw from and it's perfectly comfortable throughout that range.

Camera batteries are still charging up but I hope to add pics by this afternoon. It'd be nice if my new grips were in for the pics but I don't expect them until next week.

Can't decide if I'm going to the range today or shopping for wife beaters and Hawaiian shirts, probably the latter as the weather's suppose to turn ugly today. More to come later today: Same Bat time, same Bat channel!
    Jack

Exclamation Picture time!

I'm going to try some thumbnails as I took quite a few shots - hopefully these will all work.

Forgot to mention in my original post: When I placed my order with Gary and told him it was for a Springfield his first question was if it was an older or newer model - as their dust covers use to be a heavier, blocky profile. Mine's an older model so he allowed for that in the moulding process. How's that for attention to detail?!

BTW, that dunlop is NOT beer ... it's pork chops!
    Jack
    Attached Images

Nice pictures...

Great looking rig. I bet pretty comfortable too.

Administrator

Thumbs up GREAT PHOTOS maclean3

That's what a great holster & set up should look like!
    Glad that everything worked out for you.
    You're ready to roll in supreme style now.
    Everything matches.!

Just got back home from giving the new rig it's first trip out - it broke in well enough I could wear it today. Went to get a haircut, had lunch at Wendy's and spent a half hour or so picking out DVDs for the weekend. Nobody so much as looked at me sideways and the gear was completely comfortable the entire time. Going from an Airweight J-frame to a fullsize steel 1911 I think that says a lot for how well this holster distributes the load.

Judging by the way the Mil-Spec carried today, I think my J-frame may be on permanent BUG duty now unless I need a deep concealment gun. I don't foresee any trouble carrying the .45 year round ... that's not to say I'm through adding to the ol' arsenal though!
    Jack

I never had to do the break in thing. I guess mine was just made with looser tolerances. It snapped in and still holds like it did several years ago.

Anyway, after these several years of carrying at all times (only occasionally at work), I am interested to see how my (yet to arrive) defcon (owb) will compare in the concealibility department. Certainly, an IWB hides everything below a certain point, but either way, you need an untucked shirt. All other things equal, I think an owb is more comfortable. My hypothesis is that I will use the defcon more frequently, unless I choose to wear a particularly short-tailed shirt. We'll see.
    Guns don't kill people; People with mustaches kill people.

Forstr:
    I noticed when I carried my S&W 66 owb I had to cinch my belt super tight - it was the only leather holster I could find off the shelf so quality was extremely lacking. Is your DefCon intended for a 5" gun or shorter? If so I'd be really curious how well that conceals as I'd like to grab one myself, just not sure how practical it'd be in my situation (5'-10", 180lbs, etc.). Definitely thinking about getting one for my 642 - unless I get one for a shorter model auto.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Very nice rig there Mac...thanks for posting the photos.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

mac,
    mine is a 4" model, and i'm sure that it would feel quite different. he makes them for all lengths. also, with a revelover there is a different distribution of weight, etc.

i haven't actually got the holster yet. and fwiw, i'm
    5'7" 170-175 and have never had any problems concealing my piece...maybe it's the v-shape. but i think i'm a little too short for a full 5" so i stick with the 4".
    Guns don't kill people; People with mustaches kill people.

Mac, I too have carrying a j frame as a primary because I needed to get decent equipment to carry the 1911 Milspec. I enjoyed reading your review and can't wait on my holster to put my .38 as bug or turnover to wife for house duty.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Thanks for the compliments guys, glad the review and pics have been helpful. Forstr, I'm in the same boat as I think a Commander or shorter slide would conceal well in OWB mode but the Gov't. seems it might be pushing it. What concerns me is the possibility of being out shopping and having to grab something off a high shelf, that extra slide length of the fullsize seems apt to show.

Chris has some excellent side by side pics of his Sistema and Sig 226ST here - http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...hlight=Sistema (post #7 I believe). Where the Sistema is a bit longer than the Sig it seems a Commander would be nearly identical in slide length, so probably very "do able."
    Jack

Links