Carrying while backpacking

This is a discussion on Carrying while backpacking within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a springfield armory xd40 sc that I want to take with me while I go backpacking. Normally i carry iwb at 4:30. unfortunately ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying while backpacking

I have a springfield armory xd40 sc that I want to take with me while I go backpacking. Normally i carry iwb at 4:30. unfortunately when you go backpacking the backpack puts a lot of weight there making it almost impossible to draw with any speed and it is also uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how one could carry while backpacking.

I was thinking something where there was a holster built into the backpack and would put the gun between you and the backpack but i cannot find anything like this. also i dont have any good experience trying to do this.

any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Not to gloat or anything, but liberal old Oregon is an open carry state, so that problem goes away...

Have you considered something like the smartpacker? I believe it has a belt loop. You could use clips to attach it to the waist of the packpack's waist strap or shoulder straps.

Perhaps a holster that slings across the chest? I know these exist for the X-frame guns by S&W. Maybe one can be had for your semi-auto? I carry open on the leg while backpacking (in Alaska).

Belly band carrying at around the 2 oclock
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I bowhunt and after I have an animal down and need to make several trips packing out, I then will carry a sidearm in case I run into a bear or cougar. They tend to find those free meals very easily.

I use either a cross chest holster or a drop leg holster while hauling a back pack. Either one gives me full freedom of movement yet allows easy access to my pistol. Drop leg holsters are a dime a dozen in most tactical guns shops. See my recommendation for a chest holster in the link below. Good luck.

Guides Choice Holster
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    As the first responder alluded to, the question is whether you want to CC or if you feel comfortable with OC?

OC has a lot of positives out in the woods and I would suggest a good holster that will strap to your backpack strap right on the front of your chest. Quick draw, easy access, and you always know it's there. Make sure you have good retention so it doesn't fall out while climbing in awkward areas. That's what I've been wanting to do but I only pack a couple times a year so making up a good rig hasn't made it to the top of my list yet.

Happy hiking
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I would have no problem OC except that it is not legal where I live. If it was it would make it much easier and i would certainly do it. So i am stuck with finding a cc alternative.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post
    I would have no problem OC except that it is not legal where I live. If it was it would make it much easier and i would certainly do it. So i am stuck with finding a cc alternative.
    In that case, have you considered fanny pack then? A fanny pack worn on the front would not look out of place while backpacking. It would be comfortable, have room for a few other necessities like your compass, and still be on your person or easy reach if you set your main pack down and went to be with nature behind a tree (if you know what I mean).
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Although backpacking is no longer within my realm of recreatonal desires, I would think that I'd want instant access to a weapon when in the 'back country'.
    A fanny pack would seem to fit that need. It can be worn in front or off to the side, and allows instant access to your EDC. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use a SafePacker when I carry with a pack. I do some backpacking, but more often I'm out with my camera bag -- it has a wide hip-belt that pretty-well prohibits me from wearing my VM2 holster.

The SafePacker works well -- it will fit on nearly any belt from a rope up to probably 4"-5" wide. It keeps the firearm accessible, right there on the hip where it should be (same as my 'regular' carry). My pack is black, and I have a black SafePacker. Nobody has ever asked me what the little pocket is on my belt, and I've been right in the middle of the sideline action at school football games (it's OK to carry at public schools in Oregon), photography club events, parades & special events, the pits at the race track, etc. The SafePacker looks like it belongs there and has never attracted a second look (that I've noticed).

The only thing different for me is that the SafePacker has a Fastec Buckle that must be unclipped to draw. With a little practice to establish the muscle memory, it's not a problem.

I use a fanny pack clipped semi loosely in the front. It doesn't interfere with the hip belt on my 65L pack, and provides reasonably quick access to my CZ P-01.

I personally hate have anything hanging off the front of my straps or on the front of my body while backpacking. It's a pain to drop pack or mount up with all the extra straps you have to mess with.

I used to know a guy who carried in a thigh rig under his Cargo short/pants. He cut out the inside of the cargo pocket on his carry side. Spare mag in cargo pocket on other side. Reach through pocket, grab gun. Not the quickest access but it was definitely concealed, always on his body, wasn't flopping around in a pocket or hanging off his pack somewhere.

Another option.
    Dana Designs sells something called a "wet rib" it's a pocket d water bottle holder that attaches to one shoulder strap and would buckle across the front of your body like so:

If you aren't packing a large pistol you could probably sew a holster into one and it would not be obvious you were carrying. The downside to that is the gun would be attached to your pack. I've got an old one I never use anymore. If you want it it's yours.

A major problem that I found when attaching a gun directly to the backpack was what to do when I took the pack off. When I layed the pack down I was separated from it which I thought (and still think) was a potentially big problem.

I suggest that you look at the Simply Rugged web site and examine their "Chesty Puller" holster system.

This system holds the gun on the chest (between backpack straps) and stays with the backpacker at all times. Simple and elegant. When on the trail I wear a light shirt under my backpack which will not add much to weight and will cover the holster system thus solving the questions associated with open carry. Call the folks at Simply Rugged and ask for their suggestions. They are both polite and knowledgeable.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I open carry while backpacking. I use a thigh rig. Whatever you decide, always keep your pistol secured to you while backpacking. Think about it, if you stumble and fall, you might loose your pack. Now you are in a survival situation (usually where I go, its a long way) and you just lost probably the only thing that could save your life. I usually carry (on my person) my pistol w/exta mag, multi-tool, mag lighter, iodine tablits, folder knife, fixed blade knife that is really heavy (used like an ax) compass, and some 550 cord.

Just two weeks after a lady was mauled to death by a loving bear at Tremont, Smoky Mountains, I backpacked in with my two beloved daughters. You better believe, I was packing major heat with the loving bear in mind.

Listen to dairycreek.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links