Front or rear pocket?

This is a discussion on Front or rear pocket? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Simple enough sounding, but I was running into issues with both pockets when trying to decide which pocket I would rather carry my LCP in. ...

Thread: Front or rear pocket?

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar

Front or rear pocket?

Simple enough sounding, but I was running into issues with both pockets when trying to decide which pocket I would rather carry my LCP in. I ended up ordering a front pocket holster due to what I considered a problem with carrying in the rear of my Levis... the gun holds my pocket open. My wallet on the other side is pinched looking at top and bottom where it conforms to my butt. The pocket is "sealed" at the top. When trying my LCP out in the rear pocket the grip held my pocket open. Can't have that so decision made, but I noticed that I had a hard time reaching down into my front pocket and extracting the pistol. I'm hoping the holster will solve that problem, but my front pockets aren't so loose and I felt like the monkey trying to get his hand out of the box while holding the banana.
    I'm guessing this is one of those issues dealing with body type and the lesser of two evils. Or is this where the IWB comes in, because some people aren't made to carry even a pocket pistol in their pants pockets.

Anyway, I plan on ordering a Crossbreed IWB holster for my Kahr P9 anyway. When sweatshirt weather arrives I may turn that into my everyday gun, but the pocket thing has me thinking. From what I've read it looks like the front pocket has more users, so I guess I need to develop technique. Just thought I'd say something...

2. Remove Ads

Its tough sometimes to match up style of clothing with preferred carry style.

I guess thats why we have a box-o-holsters.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Its tough sometimes to match up style of clothing with preferred carry style.

I guess thats why we have a box-o-holsters.
    Oh man, do I know what you're talking about there. I may have my wife's shoe collection beat.

Front pocket (strong side) is the way for me when pocket carrying. I don't feel comfortable with a gun in my back pocket.

cmb
    strong side front, for me, more natural if I needed it! If things are questionable I can have my hand on it and I am in a nonthreatening posture.

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Without benefit of either holster to play around with, it seemed that the rear pocket was more like what I was taught in a couple handgun course back in the eighties using a belt holster (OWB is it?). The drawing motion was similar, but it just wasn't working for me in the concealed department if my shirt road up. And who want to sit on a gun in a hard chair (lol)?

VIP Member
    You have hit on one of the reasons I gave up wearing jeans. They are not pocket carry friendly. I don't have a pair any more. I only wore them for home and casual, so I went to Propper tac pants.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

A good friend of mine developed serious back problems that were eventually traced back to carrying a thick wallet in his back pocket and sitting on it all day. Messed up his spine to sit at a slight angle for years.

Because of that, I only pocket carry if my front pocket is big enough.

VIP Member
    Never could get used to carrying in the back pocket.... front pocket only...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

A friend who I know who pocket-carries now-and-then, and he strongly favors dress pants, like Dockers, to prevent the problem you speak of. Choose pants or shorts that has pockets that allow easy access to and removal of your firearm.

The fat wallet and spine alignments holds some truth...

I now carry a thin money-clip with four pieces of ID/CC and a few $$.

I have never carried a weapon in my back pocket, and if I do pocket carry it's only in the front pocket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Personal preference for sure but my back up is in my back pocket.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I 90% of the time it is back pocket and 10% in front pocket for my P3AT.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links