smartcarry in real life use

This is a discussion on smartcarry in real life use within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a smartcarry which I love for comfort and concealability, but I have to admit is slower than my M-tac (by about 3/4 sec ...

Thread: smartcarry in real life use

smartcarry in real life use

I have a smartcarry which I love for comfort and concealability, but I have to admit is slower than my M-tac (by about 3/4 sec from standing to well placed hit). It also seems to require more "attention" to do it properly.
    I am wondering if anyone know of the smartcarry being used in a "real world" incident under stress and how it performed?

2. Remove Ads

Dont have any real world exp. Dont even own one but i like it. I think it feels a void of having to have deep concealment or nothing at all. I dont ever want to have nothing at all.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I use a SmartCarry a lot, but never had to pull...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Comparing the MTAC to the SmartCarry on draw times, I have to ask is the IWB holster tucked or not?

At work my shirt is tucked, I find un-tucking the weapon and drawing from the MTAC is actually slower than drawing from the SmartCarry while standing.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Both untucked with a polo shirt. Times are closer if tucked, but that is less often for me.

Nice image.

VIP Member
    No real-world hero stuff here, although I can attest that my Thunderwear which is essentially the same as the “smart carry”. I use it a lot although it isn’t without some discomfort. Just yesterday, I went to the movies x2 and I had to keep shifting things around. Also, it does press on the bladder so an unscheduled visit is sometimes required. I think the next time I go and see a film, I’ll opt for the pocket carry.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by wormtown View Post
    I am wondering if anyone know of the smartcarry being used in a "real world" incident under stress and how it performed?
    I didn't draw on the guy, but I bladed myself and put my hand on the grip while it was in the SmartCarry.

It happened so fast I didn't have time to think about it, nor do I remember deciding to do it. I remember barking at him to let me see his hands, and then I realized my hand was on the grip.

Didn't draw, didn't fire, but slightly more stress than normal. Don't remember what I was wearing, but my guess is it was an untucked shirt.

Thanks. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Did this incident change your feelings (positively or negatively) about the holster?

Thanks. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Did this incident change your feelings (positively or negatively) about the holster?
    No. I already had high regards for it.

It works very well for me, and through continued use I found ways to make it work even better for me, such as how to wear it so it doesn't ride up in back.

You often see posts about people criticizing the SC for needing two hands to draw, but more than likely, they don't own one. If they do, they haven't practiced or perfected the one-hand draw. It's not difficult to draw one-handed unless one is seated, or unless one didn't dress for a one-handed draw.

The SC isn't for every situation, but for some situations, it's the best.

Grady is the unofficial diplomat for the SmartCarry! He's a big fan and has posted many helpful discussions for its use. Dig a little and you'll find lots of his helpful tips.
    I liked the idea but for me, I would have liked it better for a smaller gun i.e. a thin 9mm or 380 but I was looking for something for a new Gov. 1911 and found the SmartCarry difficult to make work with that specific gun and my wardrobe when sitting - standing and walking were not the problem. Let's just say it looked a tad too exciting when I was seated. In its defense, there are many others who write of carrying full size 1911s in their SC holsters (I've even seen the happy people on the web and it works for them). I have a Bluegrass Hybrid Ghost for my XD.40SC and a SuperTuck for my GI Expert 1911. They're both tuckable IWB but quite a bit different from one another. Both are outstanding but for comfort, the SuperTuck is king.

Links