First kydex project

First kydex project

This is a discussion on First kydex project within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carrying the LCP has been awkward without a proper holster, so I gave it a go at making a simple kydex pocket holster. So far ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First kydex project

Carrying the LCP has been awkward without a proper holster, so I gave it a go at making a simple kydex pocket holster. So far it won't win any beauty contests but the gun pops right out when I want it to and stays in place when it shouldn't.

I strongly encourage anyone else interested in making a holster to go out and buy some kydex. I spent all of about $40 on enough kydex and materials to make 5-10 holsters depending on how many I screw up.

I thought you could just reheat the the kydex and reapply if you messed up. Unless you totally mangle the thing (like twisting it into a pinwheel). I was told it was a very forgiving material.

You can reheat it -- I've been making my mistakes after I start cutting it or drilling for rivets.

I guess what we did for my wife's LCP was pretty boring by comparison-- we simply put out $22 for a Mika Pocket Holster that works well and even looks good!

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Nice job on the kydex holster there sir.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    My monitor is a bit dark, so I twiddled with the photo a bit. You might try another shot with it on a dark grey background: large areas of white cause the camera to shut down so much that you lose shadow detail. I also rotated the image from the original, and lightened and upped the contrast on JimmyC4's pocket holster as well. (Photo manipulation services available for anyone, by the way, until I run out of time - PM me).

I that a magazine poking out of the other end?

Nice Kydex work - I just found my stock, and am going to be playing with it this week, I hope.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Paymeister; August 17th, 2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added JimmyC4's photo
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

cj
    Nice work! I especially like the spare magazine integration design.

And while you CAN reheat Kydex, you can also overheat it and end up with some bubbles and burning...not sure what it does to the actual function, but you can really see if when overheated (unfortunately learned from experience).

Thanks paymeister. Didn't intend for that to be the "final" image - just a suggestion of a possible shape.

It stays in the pocket nicely if you draw by grasping inward with the fingers and tugging the gun out a bit with the thumb, at which point it clicks out and can be drawn fully without any friction.

The magazine stays in but not very tightly. I don't have a heat gun or pencil torch for the time being, so each holster is a get it right the first time affair. Once I figure out a design I really like I plan to make molds, but that's a long long ways off.

Last edited by dnowell; August 18th, 2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Broken image links

Good work. I've been wanting to try my hand at making some holsters. Where is a good place to find kydex?

M&P9c
    SW99 40cal.
    SuperTuck

Good Work! Love seeing DIY stuff.

woody99 Good work. I've been wanting to try my hand at making some holsters. Where is a good place to find kydex?

www.knifekits.com
    KYDEX™

Lead Moderator
    keep at it. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the kydex to do what you want.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I got mine at that same site - knifekits.com. I used the .08 kydex, but it's a little bit on the thick side for this application. I'll probably order .06 at some point and try that out.

It's fun to make - maybe not practical, but fun. As a college student on summer break I can afford the time.

Good concept! Those LCP's are so tiny they fit great in a back pocket. You'll find a heat gun is a great investment. For a pocket holster you're better off with the thinnest kydex. You can get it to mold very tightly using a press, but I've found small pillows can work well.

Keep practicing.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I used the .08 kydex, but it's a little bit on the thick side for this application. I'll probably order .06 at some point and try that out.
    Yep, I have a hoot toying with Kydex. The .06" thickness is used more for holsters & sheaths. The heavier thicknesses (.08-.09") is used more for belt attachment. Clamping plywood covered with thin, dense, heat-resistant foam in a vice makes for a great press. Have fun & keep at it.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Nice!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links