First time looking at carry options - Page 2

First time looking at carry options

This is a discussion on First time looking at carry options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you want my advice, save yourself a LOT of money and time. Get a Crossbreed Super Tuck!!! I've got the proverbial "Box-of-holsters-that-didn't-work". I'm telling ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time looking at carry options

Holster options

If you want my advice, save yourself a LOT of money and time. Get a Crossbreed Super Tuck!!! I've got the proverbial "Box-of-holsters-that-didn't-work". I'm telling you, this is BY FAR the most comfortable and concealing of any I've ever had. I wear my XD under a T-shirt and you can't tell.
    I've heard that CCW should be "comfort-ING" not especially "comfort-ABLE", but if you can have BOTH, why not? They run about $70.00, which, in my experience is about middle of the road.
    My primary carry gun is a Taurus PT111, 9mm, but I also carry a XD-9, 5" Tactical. I have a Super Tuck for each and you honestly forget it's there.
    Good luck in your search.

Buy one good inside waist band and buy one good belt holster after you buy the large box i suggest a chewing tobacco case it will hold a bunch.

Besides the holster, you will need a quality gun belt that is made to support the weight of a gun. It will make a huge difference in both comfort and concealability.

Don't forget about the holster's belt loop size when you start looking at OWB holsters. As for belts, I've actually found some nice thick Dockers belt that work fine.

Buy once cry once. A good holster and a good belt will last nearly forever and will make carrying more comfortable. I really like my Comp-Tac MTACs of the (lots) of holsters I've tried. Crossbreed is another good option.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    Don't forget about the holster's belt loop size when you start looking at OWB holsters. As for belts, I've actually found some nice thick Dockers belt that work fine.
    Strongly suggest you ignore the above (sorry!). NO belt but a purpose built GUN belt is THE SAME. Others will surely keep your pants up and carry the load of your pistol, but NONE I've seen (or seen written about) actually are effectively as good for carrying a gun as a true gun belt.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

As for gun belts, go with the Wilderness Instructor belt. Depending on your pistol size and weight (loaded) I would get the 5 stich or the CSM insert. If your belt is going to be seen (tucked in) and you want something a bit more classy check out beltman.

cmb
    I will chime in here also as a proponent for "cost effective" accesories. I have several differing guns available for my carry: Kel tec P32, PPK like 380, Kel tec PF9, Ruger P89, 1911.

That being said I carry the P32 most of the time in my pocket in a homemade leather pocket holster, I bought the leather scraps from craft store for 3 bucks and have mad a mag pouch and 3 good holster for 3 bucks, I use some spiderwire fishing line to stitch and voila. I almost alway carry this gun in addition to my IWB.

One of the other serve as my IWB. I do not often carry the 380 anymore b/c the PF9 has sam round count and is 9mm. If I want more rounds I go with the P89 (15+1) but I will usually carry my 1911 b/c I prefer single stacks in most of my needs for concealment. Double stacks are wider as indicated by "double".

Now to Holster selection. I was ready to buy one of those 100$ holsters when I saw an Ace Case Tuckable holster for 9.97$. I thought it would be worth a try and I would waste my 10 bucks. I was ordering other stuff so shipping was no more. I purchased two universal tuckables one for large frames (45/40/9) and one for small frames (380/32/25). I figured 20 bucks I can say they don't work, and my wife will say well get what you need. Problem was THEY WORKED!

I carry my 1911 in the smaller universal and it allows for some cant of the gun. I went back online and bought the model specifically for the PF9 b/c it did not fit well in either because (to big for the small one and too small for the larger). And I bought a couple extra so I have them on hand. I have been very pleased with them and can acheive the 2-2.5 sec draw and fire. The holsters have been great and I ordered them at cheaperthandirt.com

All that said odds are I could buy a crossbreed or similar and love it and never go back but I have no reason to try, mine are comfortable, concealable, retain the weapon and fit my pistols well. Holster companies do seem to have a 60 day trial that I have found... (someone may be able to correct me here)

I will follow up with the "good belt" advice. I first used my normal dress belts and I found them stretching and bending especially with my two heavier pistols around 35-40 ozs. I heard the recomendation for gun belts and went to the websites and decided a purchase like that would be a mutual decision with my wife. Shopping we went to see what belts are available since stiffness and thickness had not previously been an issue. Found several belts which are 1/8" thick and rather stiff for 10-20$ (Levis, Dickies, Wrangler). Bought one and the thicker and stiffer have made a huge difference in comfort.

Ultimately it is your decision. A Sig 250 (nice piece by the way) will probably be IWB or OWB somehow. You can definitely spend some money or not and save for more guns and more ammo! That's what I do. Even if I buy 2 belts a year (I spent 10$ at Burlington Coat Factory for a reversible, which helps from the belts getting used/bent/warped one direction only) and 2 holster a year (10$) that 40$ a year. If I spent 150 for two holsters for my two primaries and 100 bucks on a belt (2, a brown and a blue), that's 500$. They would have to last12 years. They may, but I may add guns or change carry guns or method... a lot to consider.

By the way I also found that the thick gun belts (some are near a 1/4") would not fit in some of my dress pants belt loops since my 1/8" barely does...

Sorry for the long anwser but I am in the minority on the issue and wanted to state a reasonable case for you.

Best Wishes on Fewest Usable Holsters!

The holster box is inevitable, but ti doesn't have to be expensive. Yes, the higher priced holsters are worth the money but can get expensive until you find the right one for you.
    What I did was find as many holster makers/holsters on line and look at them. Yes it is over whelming, makers, styles IWB/OWB. It will give you a headache. Start with a cheap holster, nylon leather kydex. See how it feels for comfort, position. Move it around for cant, height, anything to position it for you.
    I do have nylon, kydex even foam ones I played with. I also have A Tucker, Spartan, Raven and Ctac. I am still in search of the perfect holster!

I have researched many hours trying to decide on a holster. IWB or OWB or both. Then why on various designs. After looking and reading, I have come to conclusion that a leather IWB is the way to go. However, I am thrifty(ok cheap) with not a lot of money to dedicate to a holster plus I didn't want to have a drawer full of holsters.

I got lucky and won a holster from Littlebearholsters and David Galloway. I used the money to order & buy a brown skin skin belt for $75.00. I knew I needed a good foundation for any holster. Soon after that, the DW allowed me to purchased one David's IWB/OWB holsters. This made sense to me to be able to use the holster both in and out of my belt. Plus I was able to add brown shark skin to highlight the holster and all for only $95.00. Made sense to me as I reflect back to how many guys recommended leather.

Anyway, I would review Littlebearholster.com and see for yourself of a quality leather holster for a very reasonable investment cost.

JBPDXOR
    Cougar 8000 9mm
    S&W 586 4" 357
    Winchester Defender 12g

Ooops I meant to say "Brown Shark Skin Belt"

hey folks,

I appreciate the warm welcome, lack of insults at my low knowledge bse, and the lod of info I have got. while I feel overwhelmed I do have a better idea of what im looking for. honestly my belt never crossed my mind.I did not consider that at all. I have been leaning toeards the iwb since I am more of a tshirt and jeans guy plus being 5 foot eleven and 310 it will help conceal. the class is tomorrow and it will take time to clear the background checks im sure so the hunt will continue. thanks again folks!

Good luck! and here at DC, we really dont like to pick on people that are first timers. We were ALL first timers at one point and know what its like. I really hope you find what you are looking for. Keep us updated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links