A Holster RANT

A Holster RANT

This is a discussion on A Holster RANT within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You know, this whole shopping-for-a-holster migraine has me longing for the 5 month wait time for my CCL in the first place! Ok, here's the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Holster RANT

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

A Holster RANT

You know, this whole shopping-for-a-holster migraine has me longing for the 5 month wait time for my CCL in the first place!

Ok, here's the rant. Any advice other than "calm down, Bunny" would be appreciated. :) Thanks.

So I get notified that for Sunday's BIT and Tuesday's Basic Pistol, I will need "a level 2 or 3 retention holster," among other things. WHY? Are we going to be hung upside-down and shaken to make sure our pistols don't move? But whatever. I went to the gun show Sunday morning and looked at every single booth (thanks for being so patient, ASSA9) and NOBODY HAD ONE for a Sig Sauer P239!

All I was using was a cheap plastic Fobus paddle holster for the range and OC, but that won't do now for a multitude of reasons.

So. I was thinking "well, just try and get a CC holster with level 2 retention" I need a CC holster anyway, why not kill 2 birds with 1 holster? You'd think it would be easy. Ok, I thought it would be easy. Boy was I in for a lesson.

Ok, I'm 5'4" on a good day. And while I'm not morbidly obese, there is NO ROOM in my waistband for IWB! I have a hip injury from ages ago, not to mention that it's a little inconvenient for me to do an ankle holster, especially if on the move or wearing my cowgirl boots. Shoulder rigs are hardly "conceal" worthy on me, especially with the cut of women's clothes today!

I tried buying men's jeans, men's shirts...my husband says...well never mind, but there are some disparaging remarks and referenced to Rosie O'Donnell and K.D. Lang. So that's not going so well.

I thought about a smartcarry, but my Sig doesn't have any external safeties AND I work with large dogs that jump on me a lot, and all I need is one claw to hook the wrong way and I'm afraid of blammo! Shooting off something that I would rather stay intact, like an artery or something.

So we're at OWB now, I guess. I plunked down $90 for aGalco Leather one today after the 4th salesguy at the gun shop finally seemed to know what he was talking about! (Is it just me, or are they getting dumber and less helpful?) So I have it on, and I don't like it. I still print, even with a button down shirt over my tank top. Even if I leave the button-down open. And I never wear button-downs, but honestly, how else to conceal now?

It's just frustrating. I went and bought 4 new pair of pants, all a size larger, just in the hopes that I find an IWB that's comfortable.

I'm considering a mumu at this point. Help! Maybe it's just hunger talking? I'm going to go eat dinner and check back in later.

Rant off.

PS: NO PURSE CARRY. Ever.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    and mumu's are TOTALLY out of the question?

but seriously...i have no idea how women carry. the only one i've heard good things about is SOB
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    So I get notified that for Sunday's BIT and Tuesday's Basic Pistol, I will need "a level 2 or 3 retention holster," among other things. WHY?
    Good question. Unless you open carry, I don't really see any need for a retention holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    It's just frustrating. I went and bought 4 new pair of pants, all a size larger, just in the hopes that I find an IWB that's comfortable.
    What position on your waist are you trying to carry at?

Administrator
    Doggone. I have a Level Three for a SIG 220 that I would have just given you if it would fit.

If you have a choice go for a Level 2 over a Level 3 any day.
    Retention Level 3 rigs are a true PITA unless it's mandatory thing for LEO use.

jbs
    Have you tried appendix carry (since u have the one size larger pants) with a thin strap holster like bianchi ATD6? Doesn't retain opening so it's a pain in the butt to reholster, but... I don't know how well it would work for you but I am skinny and my cougar disappears in that position. Still prints some at 3:30.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

I think I saw a photo of limatunes carry. Maybe you could ask her. I might not have the right spelling of her name but, I think she is a moderator here
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    SOB would be great, except that it's the farthest reach (except for ankle) and I don't know that if push came to shove, my draw would be smooth or quick. Plus I drive a LOT and reading up here, a lot of folks are saying it's not comfy when driving.

Have not done appendix carry yet, or looked at Limatunes' photo. Thanks for the pointers, I will check those out now.

Nuts. I'm out $90 today, and probably several more $$ for holsters soon enough. Wondering if I should just plunk down a few hundred on something custom from my saddle-fitters, and wait 6 weeks, but at least I know it will be my last holster purchase?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Check this out. It is also made for the 239 and comes with a belt loop to replace the paddle if it doesn't work for you.

Model 6378 ALS? Paddle Holster | Safariland
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Bunny,

While I think mumu's are sexy I think you should go here and read about holsters.

Cornered Cat - Table of Contents

Lots of great info from a woman's POV. It may help. If that don't work, I have some extra mumu's for sale.

Biker

Guys who don't wear relatively baggy clothing have the same issue. I just pocket carry an LCP. I'd love to carry my sig but just can't figure out where to put it.

How about a womb carry,I believe they are at least a level3 retention,of course retrieving the weapon requires assistance and an epidural.
    Seriously,I don't think you will find both in the same holster,the higher threat level holsters are bulkier IMHO and the normal CCW holsters are somewhat slimmer.Use the galco for matches but find something else for CCW
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Bunny,

this might help some:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ncealed-2.html
    #14 is carrying a P239

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ncealed-3.html
    #23, Lima carrying a couple of 1911's

The rest of the thread are guys, and not so helpful for you. Hopefully, this'll give you a few ideas.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Check this out. It is also made for the 239 and comes with a belt loop to replace the paddle if it doesn't work for you.

Model 6378 ALS? Paddle Holster | Safariland
    Ok Bunny.... I will share with you my trials and tribulations, and what is now working for me. The above mentioned holster is owned by a friend of mine and for what is being required of you, is an EXCELLENT holster. My friend absolutely loves this holster, HOWEVER, he is MALE and wears a photographers vest to conceal this holster in the 3:00 position. For a WOMAN, this holster would be difficult to conceal.
    When I started carrying concealed, I had the same problems that you are having right now. For a woman, concealment can be a TOTAL pain in the arse as we have curves and carrying at 3:00 is damn near impossible, even with a vest/vetter cover garment because it makes us look totally lopsided.
    The picture of the girl that was posted carrying IWB with your gun is the exact position I carry in. I believe, when Lima carries OWB she carries a little further forward which just doesn't work well for me. Now I can NOT fit my glock IWB at 3:00. It just won't get in there, lol. I don't care for appendix carry, I prefer my tummy to look as flat as possible, call it midlife crisis, whatever, I want it to have the ILLUSION of being flat, lol. Now with the very same pair of pants, I can carry IWB comfortably anywhere from 3:30 to 6:00 but for maximum comfort and concealability, 4:00 seems to be my best friend.
    Now this takes some practice and some getting used to. The thinner the shirt material, the more my shirt likes to show off my glock. I can wear the exact same cut of shirt in the exact same size and if the material is a bit thicker then very little if any printing. I have had to do a LOT of experimenting. I had to get accustomed to wearing an undershirt for IWB carry. Which I am still not 100% comfortable doing. It makes me feel..... bulkier? restricted? Anyway, I have tried going without one and uhhh.... my skin no likey!
    This is what has worked for me as far as carry rig.... Mind you I do have a IWB coming from TT Gunleather but it won't be here until October or so.... This also won't help you with the retention requirements but just maybe this would be an option for you otherwise. Right now I am using a Safariland Model 27 Inside-the-pants Holster. It has kydex inserted inside the pleather at the top for keeping the mouth of the holster open. The J hook will pivot so that you may adjust the cant of your pistol to your liking. It's not the greatest holster ever made but it's a nice option for a little money and can usually be found at most of your local gun shops. I got mine from Lawmens. I don't believe they make it for your exact gun but here is a list of what they do make it for, which may fit your gun just fine.
    Sig Sauer P220, P226
    Sig Sauer P225, P228, P229
    Sig Sauer P230
    Sig Sauer Sig Pro SP2340
    I also switched from a leather gun belt to a 5.11 trainer belt which allows me to pull the adjustment wherever I want it and not deal with stupid holes where one is too tight and the one beside it is too loose. As for clothing.... It will honestly be hit or miss. I still have to experiment and when i shop, I always try my clothes on with my gun, turning in all directions, bending, etc... to check how well they conceal.
    Good luck in your endeavor, concealed carry has for me, been almost a total lifestyle change, lol. If I can help you at all, please feel free to PM me.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Level 2 seems a somewhat burdensome requirement for a CC rig, and Level 3 MUCH more so, if the levels are the same as used to describe police holsters. The ALS system from Safariland seems the most workable, to my mind.

It seems you may need to buy a holster specifically for this class, and get yourself something different for actual CC comfort and practicality.

I won't get into many specifics, being of the wrong gender for that. Women I know certainly have found widely varying solutions for CC, depending on where their bodies have a hollow spot for weapon, over which their clothing can drape without printing. The most comfortable spot is rarely the best for concealment.

FWIW, I know guys who have been motivated to lose a spare tire or a "dunlap" in order to be able to carry a more serious weapon concealed, or their current favorite weapon in the "appendix" position, which is becoming trendy among those who have taken force-on-force training classes. Some women have really liked the appendix position, too, if they have a natural hollow between the tummy and hip.

There's some good advice out there!

I'm in agreement that you'll probably want a separate CC holster than the retention holster you are required to have for the class. A CC holster is supposed to be hidden from sight which is supposed to supplant the need for an extra retention device and offers the quickest access.

I love my P239 and carry it IWB tucked using a Crossbreed SuperTuck. Lately, during the summer I've taken to just carrying my Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster along with a spare mag. If you can't find a reliable and comfortable way to carry your Sig you may want to go that route also and get a smaller CC gun that's easier to conceal. The smaller guns aren't nearly as comfortable to shoot, but they can fit in the darndest places.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links