Kilt Carry

Kilt Carry

This is a discussion on Kilt Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm slowly making the transition to wearing Kilts the big issue I'm running into is how to carry my 1911. obviously ankle carry is out ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kilt Carry

Kilt Carry

I'm slowly making the transition to wearing Kilts the big issue I'm running into is how to carry my 1911. obviously ankle carry is out of the question I have been carrying in my smart carry but just don't feel I have good access to the gun in that mode of carry. Part of me was thinking of some sort of thigh rig but it kind of gets away from the freedom of wearing a Kilt.

I was wondering if anyone else carries while kilted. Maybe something like a sporran with a built in holster. (sporran is the pouch the hangs down in the front of the kilt made of leather or some times animal pelts for carrying items normally carried in pockets.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

maybe an in the waistband holster for the kilt i think a smart carry would work ok you might have to work on al alternate pull.

and for the less than serious.

Hide it in a set of bagpipes

Lead Moderator
    Strangely, try doing a forum This HAS been discussed before!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Yes and the pictures still haunt me..

Distinguished Member
    uh oh
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Strangely, try doing a forum This HAS been discussed before!
    Strangely I DID a forum search most everything I found wasn't very helpful.

I really get tired of seeing posts like this. its unconstructive and a waste of everyones time. If someone asks a question that has been covered before feel free not to read or reply to it. You could post a link to a thread that talks about the OP question if you wanted to be helpful but not required.

Rant off

On topic so far all i have found was Nightstalker Sporran made by Stillwaterkilts.com but they aren't making the holster version any more. I had thought of doing an IWB but it acts as a very awkward draw as the kilts WB is much higher then normal trousers.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

I think Galco, maybe Milt Sparks, has a Blackwatch Special that'll be perfect! (...okay, just kidding.) Build a Sporran with a quick-pull zipper pouch on the back. Should be fast & convenient. I don't think the market-demand is strong enough to find any "kilt-specific" holster models off the shelf. How big a CCW are you looking to pack? Fullsize 1911? Adding 1911-shaped, leather-lined pouch inside the flap of your kilt is another option. Depending on your tartan colors & configuration, the vertical opening "slash" would be almost invisible. ALBA GU BRATH!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    While I do not know about the construction of a Sporran what is the possibility of having someone making and attaching a pouch of some type to hold you fire arm. There is a discussion on concealed carry in a kilt on this forum. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/c...3/index3.html? you may find some suggestions there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I think Galco, maybe Milt Sparks, has a Blackwatch Special that'll be perfect! (...okay, just kidding.) Build a Sporran with a quick-pull zipper pouch on the back. Should be fast & convenient. I don't think the market-demand is strong enough to find any "kilt-specific" holster models off the shelf. How big a CCW are you looking to pack? Fullsize 1911? Adding 1911-shaped, leather-lined pouch inside the flap of your kilt is another option. Depending on your tartan colors & configuration, the vertical opening "slash" would be almost invisible. ALBA GU BRATH!
    I prefer to carry my commander 1911 but in a pinch I could go with my .38 snub. the .38 i probly can get away with just picking up a pocket holster and having that in the sporran. another option is for my next kilt one company does offer a gun pocket on the WB. not sure how well i could tuck shirts over it to conceal but is probly fine for cooler weather.

I may have to talk to one of the forums many custom leather workers and see if they can make a nice sporran with holster if I sent them a standard sporran to get the basic idea together.

Most custom holster makers are like the rest of us, they enjoy the occasional off-the-wall project. Here's a thought. Get a thigh holster (with IWB drop-strap) & simply add a reinforced slit along a plaid-line in your kilt located right over the CCW position. You could do a mag pouch set-up on the other thigh. Fast. invisible & completely covert. Unless someone peeks "up your skirt". Did you not appreciate the Blackwatch Special?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

You could stick it in your bra. Just kidding. If anyone sees under your kilt I for one would rather see a gun than anything else.

Dunno. Maybe some of these guys could help you.
    YouTube - Black Watch marching in to town

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have been contemplating a kilt for myself. I already use Safepackers, from TheWilderness.com , when wearing pants, at least some of the time. A Safepacker might not be formal enough for all occasions, so, while I don't advocate outright copying without permission, perhaps the Safepacker could be used as a source of inspiration for something made of leather/skin.

I've worn my Crossbreed Supertuck at 5 O'clock with a govt 1911 on my 5 yd kilt. Not exactly comfortable considering the high waist of a kilt. Now, if I could find a custom stag handled derringer that would pass as a saign dubh to the casual observer...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny85 View Post
    Strangely I DID a forum search most everything I found wasn't very helpful.

I really get tired of seeing posts like this. its unconstructive and a waste of everyones time. If someone asks a question that has been covered before feel free not to read or reply to it. You could post a link to a thread that talks about the OP question if you wanted to be helpful but not required.

Rant off

On topic so far all i have found was Nightstalker Sporran made by Stillwaterkilts.com but they aren't making the holster version any more. I had thought of doing an IWB but it acts as a very awkward draw as the kilts WB is much higher then normal trousers.
    Chill out, man - he was simply remarking that it was strange that we had discussed kilt carry, not that you hadn't searched. I'm sure you hadn't expected there to already have been a discussion about it. One of our members, DrLewall, uses a Smart Carry with his 1911... don't ask for the picture. Please. You could also use a Utilikilt or similar with belt loops, and then any normal IWB holster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links