CCW holster for Sig Sauer 239 .40

This is a discussion on CCW holster for Sig Sauer 239 .40 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a .40 Sig Sauer 239 (it came with the .357 barrel as well). I am a Deputy DA and currently handle gang ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW holster for Sig Sauer 239 .40

CCW holster for Sig Sauer 239 .40

I recently purchased a .40 Sig Sauer 239 (it came with the .357 barrel as well). I am a Deputy DA and currently handle gang cases. Hence the need for a CCW.

However, I wear a suit most days and need a holster that works well with both a suit and plain clothes. I am trying not to spend a lot of money due to the fact that the pistol cost quite a bit.

Any tips out there?

Additionally, I did quite a bit of research about the 239 as a CCW weapon and there was quite a bit of positive response. It is my first handgun. I have been around rifles and shotguns since being a Boy Scout but never shot handguns previous to trying out my 239. Did I make a good purchase?

2. Remove Ads

Very good choice in weapon. You shouldnt have any regrets with that, however it may be a little difficult for shirt and slacks unless youre wearing a jacket. Otherwise very compact and easy to cover. You should stop a few plain clothes detectives at the courthouse and ask them what they use. You will get a pretty good idea of how easy it is cover one with a jacket over a simple strong side belt holster.
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cali-da
    Additionally, I did quite a bit of research about the 239 as a CCW weapon and there was quite a bit of positive response. It is my first handgun. I have been around rifles and shotguns since being a Boy Scout but never shot handguns previous to trying out my 239. Did I make a good purchase?
    I'd say you made a great purchase. I have one in 9mm and it's a tack driver. As for holsters, it's hard to say since they seem to be so individual in nature. I've got a couple, both IWB and OWB.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks for the suggestion. I talked to a couple of detectives and investigators. They suggested that I look online at the Gall's catalog. If there are any 239 owners who could recommend one holster over another that would be great.

I get the Galls catalog and there is no holster in there I like. We have discussed this extensively on the board and I know the others will agree with me: You've got a champion pistol don't go cheap on the belt and holster!

You really NEED a high quality double thick gunbelt for support and you need a good quality holster. I have a weakness for the Galco "Concealable" model, but I also like Blade-Tech for the Kydex arena or Sam Andrews for the high end custom made stuff. But talk to Gary Brommeland right here on the site.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Very good choice. My great-uncle has a 239 in 9mm. It is a great gun and he has never had a malfunction with it. He has hogue grips on it. As for holsters, I have limited knowledge but I like Comp-Tac. I have a GLOCK 26 and I use Comp-Tac's C.T.A.C. It is a great holster that can be configured for many positions.

Also you can get extra clips that have velcro and get the other velcro strip sewn into a leather belt. Then you have a tuckable kydex holster with essentially no visible signs that you are wearing a gun. I will be getting a Kahr PM9 and then a P9 and will use a C.T.A.C. with the velcro strips.

Yes, ditto on the belt. I don't have one yet and my normal leather belt just doesn't support the weight well. At the 239 isn't exactly light.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...get a good tuckable. Lots of people make them for the 239...just get what you want. Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

If you can wear an untucked shirt while in plain clothes, get yourself a Max-Con V, belt and mag pouch from Gary Brommeland and you'll be good to go. If an untucked shirt is not an option, maybe look into a tuckable holster or SmartCarry (stay away from Thunderwear).
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Fobus

Are Fobus paddle holsters any good?

Lead Moderator
    Well, they are cheap.

Most folks think they stick out to far from the body making the gun harder to conceal.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I sometimes use FOBUS for IDPA competition. I rarely carry my gun in a FOBUS, but then the only one I have is for my Beretta M92FS and I rarely carry THAT. LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Try K & D Holsters. He makes a Great IWB and OWB types. Custom made - great prices
    www.kdholsters.com

Found it

I talked to one of my investigators today and tried on a Desantis thumb break scabbard. It was perfect. Very comfortable and rides exactly where I want it. Desantis makes it for my weapon and I think it will turn out well. I will post more once I have received it and given it a trial run.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I researched the brands that were recommended.

Cali-da:

Excellent choice on the handgun, just be aware that you need to practice with that model quite a bit, as the first trigger pull will be different from subsequent ones. Some people find this hard to get used to but with training, you should be fine.

Speaking of training... you mentioned you weren't all that familiar with handguns and this was your first. Have you taken any handgun training yet? If your office offers training, great. But I suggest that down the road you invest some more time & $ and go to one of the well-known shooting schools for an intensive handgun course. These schools will actually bring your skills beyond what many law enforcement departments teach. I know this from other California (and Federal) LEOs who I have taken said training with.

I am only sugesting this additional training as you have an important, high profile job and you need the best training you can get. (don't we all?)

I've carried the same 239/40cal for several years. I use an Alessi CQC/S belt holster and a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB. Both are somewhat expensive, but excellent holsters that will last a life-time.
    I've also used a CTAC. It is my favorite kydex IWB holster; and less expensive, but not as comfortable on my body style.
    Last edited by okcglocker; April 4th, 2006 at 07:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links