ISW and SOB options

This is a discussion on ISW and SOB options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello eveyone, This may get long so I apologize ahead of time. I practice at the range my CC tactics even though I dont have ...

Thread: ISW and SOB options

ISW and SOB options

Hello eveyone,
    This may get long so I apologize ahead of time. I practice at the range my CC tactics even though I dont have my license yet, so I dont carry as of now.

I prefer a ISW holster but I prefer to wear it in a SOB position, cuz of the way I am build its the most comfortable. The exception being ISW I prefer the "butt" or clip end to face downward instead of up...weird I know. It just seems more of a natural draw for me that way. (I am Rt handed BTW)

what I am looking for is a ISW holster that will attach/secure with snap belt loops instaed of a clip( like Galco Summer)...and that will allow the butt end to face my strong side (Right side) instead of butt end facing left. It doesn't natter if the holster is on an angle like a SOB.

I don't know if there is a reason a ISW positions a handgun with butt end facing away from strong side or not. If there is I'm all ears.

Knuckles

2. Remove Ads

ISW? I think you mean IWB (Inside Waist Band) Fist holsters makes 1 that has a clip and is small of the back with the butt facing your shooting hand.

Fist #41

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A custom holster maker should easily be able to fill your needs. I have a "convertible" holster that can be worn IWB or OWB with the
    inside/outside straps. One holster, one price, double duty.
    Here is the link to mine, it's the sourdough pancake I ordered for my S&W 686+.

Leather Gun Holster, Concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged, Proudly made in Alaska

I'd bet if you contact Rob he could easily make one with the gun reversed to position the grip in the opposite direction.
    Good price and fast service, he made mine up with altered belt slots to adjust the ride of the holster to fit me and it was here in two weeks.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Do a search here for holsters, and a ton of makers will come up. In fact ypu may find you have too many options.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    I don't know if there is a reason a ISW positions a handgun with butt end facing away from strong side or not. If there is I'm all ears.
    It is faster and offers a more secure grip (especially under stress). Do some force on force training if you get a chance and try both methods of carry; when you put it to the test, you will most likely come to the same conclusion on your own.

Also try having somebody sit on top of you and simulate beating the "tar" out of you, and then try to get to that bad boy with an inverted grip... It's not too expedient or secure.

If you disagree, that's cool; it's your hide you are risking. It's just one of the ways people carry that doesn't seem to work too well in my experience.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I will have to diagree that if a person is sitting on top of you a "palm out" draw is easier and more natural than "palm in" while lying on your back. especially if its a sob or IWB worn in the small of the back.

i live in SW Florida and t shirts, polos and the occasional LS button, untucked is dressing up for me. Its HOT here. I think IWB with a palm out draw at 5-6 o clock position is best for me and my build. I have found for a palm in draw I would have to wear at 4 o clock...

What you're looking for I believe is called an MOB (middle of back) holster that is a palm out draw from the middle of the back. This is the way I carried my former 1911A1 for a while. The standard SOB (small of back) holster is generally a palm in draw. For a right handed user, the muzzle of pistol for both holsters points to the weak side but likely at different angles. So with either, the grip of the pistol will be strong side for you being right handed. There are a few manufacturers that make the MOB holsters. It's been years since I've carried that way, but the palm out draw from that position is more comfortable and natural for me, and I've debated others on the forum about this method and possibilities of sweeping your strong side leg and making a wide draw. I've never carried SOB (palm in), but I'm currently checking into a Mitch Rosen ARG (IWB/SOB) for my wife's upcoming permit and her soon to be G26.

Take a good look at the holster products made by FIST. If you have questions don't hesitate to use their "800" number and talk to them as they are both polite and knowledgeable. I am sure that they can make just what you want.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    I will have to diagree that if a person is sitting on top of you a "palm out" draw is easier and more natural than "palm in" while lying on your back. especially if its a sob or IWB worn in the small of the back.
    'Just curious if you are theorizing or if you have actually put this to the test with an aggressive training partner?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I just have to throw in my $.02. I'm totally against SOB carry for obvious safety reasons. Last winter I was Working on a fuel island, carrying right hand strong side. I slipped on a patch of ice and landed square on my back. Primary impact with ground was the base of my spine. I am confident that had I been carrying SOB I would have suffered major back injuries.

I carry IWB and pocket when in public, and like to carry OWB when around the house.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am a police patrol officer, big city, night shift. I hope ALL armed bad guys carry so far behind their backs, as it gives me the advantage, all else being equal. More time reaching for their guns gives me more time to react, and either go for my gun, or go for his gun. Those of you who are not bad guys can interpret this however you wish.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    For 8 yrs. i have carried either a pt957, pt908 , para 6lda and a92f all sob carry. I have simply bought a holster for lefthand iwb carry for the selected gun( i"m right handed).

I've never fallen and landed on it, but i have fallen and landed on my hip.

Reaching for sob to me seems to mimic reaching for a wallet, the BG doesn't see the gun till it is pointed at him.

Finally, at some point every carry position seems to me to "cover" some part of your body at some point during the draw.

Links