Carrying SW642 on horseback - Holster ideas?

Carrying SW642 on horseback - Holster ideas?

This is a discussion on Carrying SW642 on horseback - Holster ideas? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have two horses and hence I horseback ride a lot. I'm looking for some ideas for holsters for my SW642. I wondered if it ...

Thread: Carrying SW642 on horseback - Holster ideas?

Question Carrying SW642 on horseback - Holster ideas?

We have two horses and hence I horseback ride a lot. I'm looking for some ideas for holsters for my SW642.

I wondered if it would fall out or be too uncomfortable with a pocket holster? Right now I am thinking it's going to be some sort of OWB holster, but I'm concerned about it falling out. I don't really care if the gun is concealed or not using the holster. I aim to get my concealed permit soon anyway.

My primary reason of carry is stray dogs. My wife and I about got attacked a couple weeks ago. Luckily our horses are pretty good around guns but I'm going to have to do some training with blanks to make sure I don't get tossed into the next county if I have the unfortunate task of using it. I imagine I'll be getting off before it gets to that point but nonetheless walking home isn't fun.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    I'd go with a good quality 'boned' or molded belt slide holster as you mention. Either a forward cant and wear it at the 4:00 position or a reverse cant (driving holster) and wear it at the 2:00 or 10:30 position. Either should be secure but you would be more aware of it's status if at the 2:00 or 10:30 position.

Wish I was in the position of worrying how to carry while riding. Did it a lot when I was younger. No horses now.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member
    Blackhawk Serpa OWB. It has options of belt through or paddle. The paddle is adjustable for belt width and for cant. The index finger releases a locking lever, for lack of better terms, to allow a smooth draw. You can hang from your knees in a tree and the gun will not leave the holster, the holster won't leave your belt. My wife thinks that a gun isn't worth having if you can't match it w/one of these.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    First, Welcome to the forum. I would think a OWB holster would be much more comfortable for carrying while riding. If you need the gun before you can dismount, a pocket holster would be pretty hard to reach IMO. I have a Galco Combat Master OWB for my 642 and it is very secure, rides high enough to be comfortable when sitting. It also hides fairly easily under an untucked shirt.

Here's a pic from the Galco catalog:
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I'd go with a good quality 'boned' or molded belt slide holster as you mention. Either a forward cant and wear it at the 4:00 position or a reverse cant (driving holster) and wear it at the 2:00 or 10:30 position. Either should be secure but you would be more aware of it's status if at the 2:00 or 10:30 position.

Wish I was in the position of worrying how to carry while riding. Did it a lot when I was younger. No horses now.

+1. Think cowboys. In my experience I just don't like (personal preference) belt holster on my right (strong side) so go for a crossdraw. But then I was brainwashed by my Grandpa, a real honest to God Buckeroo. Boned is nice but I've seen a simple leather thong over the hammer secure a pistol on a bucking horse. Good luck with your search.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

I agree, I would look at a nice OWB holster, that's what I wear when I ride my horses. You can get them with or without a retension strap from several makers. Welcome from another Mountaineer.

Distinguished Member
    It is made by Black Hills Leather. It is like new, PM me if you like it.
    Attached Images

EW3
    What about a shoulder holster? IMO that would be the easiest to get to while on horseback, and you said concealment isn't an issue.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I think that a pocket holster would be very uncomfortable. I don't ride horses, but I suspect a tightly molded and boned OWB would do well.

If you are concerned about retention, and have never tried a tight leather holster, the Blackhawk Serpa mentioned might be the ticket.
    I have no experience with that holster, but those who use it seem to like it.

I don't even like to drive with a pocket holster, and would suspect that it would be worse on a horse.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I ride alot. You might consider a crossdraw holster. I like the idea of being able to draw with the strong or weak hand if you get in a mess. Carrying while riding opens up a whole new world of possiblities; some good, some bad.
    I carry a 357, 44 mag or 45 colt while out in the woods and use an OWB crossdraw for all of them. If it is a holster used just for riding, a thumbbreak is not a bad idea.
    YEP, you better make sure the horses will stand for gunfire. Reminds me of the time a man asked the horse trader if you could shoot off of this horse. Horse trader said;"Once".
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Wow thanks for all the replies.

As for the shoulder holster, I thought about them, but really don't like carrying anything above my waist while riding.

The more comments I get and the more I think it through, it sounds like a crossdraw OWB at around 10:00 may be the way to go.

I am going to look closer at the Blackhawk Serpa's. I think it's either that or a leather boned holster with a thumb break or strap. I'll let everyone know what I end up with and try to get a pic posted while mounted, since I haven't seen any (of course I haven't dug through all the threads on here). Thanks again.

Links