Trying sumpin different

Trying sumpin different

This is a discussion on Trying sumpin different within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After IWB carry for several years,I'm going to test the waters of OWB carry.The holsters available back in the 80's when I was an LEO ...

Trying sumpin different

After IWB carry for several years,I'm going to test the waters of OWB carry.The holsters available back in the 80's when I was an LEO tended to print a lot,might of had something to do with the belt etc.I'm gonna get a Don Hume for my M&P45c and see how well it conceals before I go with a more expensive setup.My Pants are really snug IWB carry but fall is coming and when temperatures drop below 90 in DEC I will be able to wear a button up shirt over my T-shirt.I really been absorbing lots of Info from all the forum members and their reccomendations,Sargegrips I checked with your buddy but he doesn't do OWB yet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    You'll probably really like OWB. It's more important to have a really good gun belt for OWB.
    Behind the hip is a nice body location and the gun butt conceals much nicer if the holster cants the gun forward with the butt more up than out.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I think you'll like it. When it gets cold (temps below 70) you can even wear a long sleeve button up shirt... When we get the extreme cold front (temps below 50) I sometimes add a simple fleece vest... That's about the extent of my winter wardrobe down here...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

i started out carrying iwb with my xd45 and my p345. i have now as of today switch 4 pistols to owb. i have 4 of done hume's 721 OT. just tried the one for my XD45 and it worked fine not too much flop @ all and very comfortable especially compared to my high noon IWB holster. the security six carries well too just a bit more flop than the XD but that could just be b/c of the carry position. the p345 is a smaller lighter gun than both the xd and the security six so its no trouble what so ever to carry owb. my xd is probably the closest to your m&p so you should be fine

i'm 5'6" around 150lbs using a beltman 1.5" bullhide w/ the insert and while i'm not overweight i do carry a water gut. hope this helps you out

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i did that a while ago and all i carry is owb now
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I like the idea of OWB and do n certain occasion clothing cooperating.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I carry OWB only and I've found the two most important things to be a good belt and the right angle of cant on the holster for your body shape. I'm 5'4" and 125 pounds and I carry a .45 ACP 1911 with a 4 " barrel and it hides nicely under just a loose fitting T-shirt.
    Draw is faster as well
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I carry with around a 20 to 30 degree cant,I can carry a full size 1911 no problem but the MP45 is lighter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I think you'll like it. When it gets cold (temps below 70) you can even wear a long sleeve button up shirt... When we get the extreme cold front (temps below 50) I sometimes add a simple fleece vest... That's about the extent of my winter wardrobe down here...
    Extreme cold at 50 degrees... Around here people aren't even putting on pants at 50 degrees. Last winter we got -24 degrees. and there are 3 states between us and Canada.

During the winter I either drop my sub 9mm in my outter pocket or sometimes I OWB with my 38 in an old B&G leather holster if I am not going inside. Below zero I do worry about the polymer frame breaking in the cold so that's why I wear the 38. It's five less rounds but the rubber grips won't shatter in the cold, however, the frame may still stick to a moist fresh-out-of-a-pocket hand.

When we get the extreme cold front (temps below 50)
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I'm checking out a DM Bullard "Bodyguard" OWB Holster Saturday at the Ft. Worth Gunshow. David will be there and I would like to see if that set up might be what I am looking for on my days off for my full size 1911. Check out his website - it looks very nice.

Link to DM Bullard:
    Gun Leather, Concealment and Cowboy holsters, Azle, TX.
    That's the "bodyguard" in the upper left photo.
    Last edited by LibertyFreak; August 28th, 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: info

Links