Modifying VMII for tuckable, but on the belt?

This is a discussion on Modifying VMII for tuckable, but on the belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying my P229R in my VMII for a while now. I love the holster, but often wear tucked in shirts. When I do ...

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

I've been carrying my P229R in my VMII for a while now. I love the holster, but often wear tucked in shirts. When I do tuck, I throw on the milt sparks kydex clips. My only complaint is they hang on the pants instead of the belt. Carry is still comfortable, but it slides a little bit fore and aft, and the rear clip keeps pulling the edge of my pants down below the belt, exposing the clip.

I decided to buy a comp-tac CTAC, and it should be here in about a week. I'm not a fan of kydex though The system seems pretty smart though. IWB, tucked or untucked, always on the belt.

After I placed my order, it occured to me that I could maybe attach the comp-tac clips to the VMII to allow tucking with that holster, but still having it hang from my belt. Has anyone attempted this? Did it work out well? The only issue I see is that the CTAC has the clips attach very low on the holster, and the VMII has them attach much higher. I don't know if I'd be able to get a deep enough tuck. I might have to buy some kydex sheeting and make clips that are the same as the milt sparks clips, but with a larger opening that would hook up to the belt.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I don't know about using the Comptac clips. Never had a Comptac.
    Do the pants you're using have a seam for the attachment of the VM II clips? My VM II clips hold the holster rock solid. I use them when wearing khakis and Wranglers.
    Trying your own homemade clips might work out okay. Drill, cutter and a hair dryer should be all you need. Let us know how it works out for you.
    I'm interested in the combat a/c wings in your avatar. Those yours?

This sounds like a subject you should discuss with the folks at Milt Sparks. I have no doubt this is not a new question for them.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I wear Cinch jeans, and they do have a seam that the clips go over. It's not pulling out, that's for sure. I am used to having the support of a gun belt, and even when wearing one, when the gun rides on the pants instead, it just doesn't have the even weight distribution, and it sags the pants below the belt. Kinda like it can rotate the cant back and forth. I don't like it. I'll try contacting MS and see what they say also. I'm gonna find some kydex and try to make my own though. don't really see a way to make the CTAC clips work after looking at it closer.

Combat aircrew wings are mine. I crewed CH-53's in the sandbox for a few deployments. Unfortunately, I'm on C-130's now.
    -Ryan

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have both the VMII and an MTAC. You can modify the VMII buy punching another hole lower than the existing hole, then attach the Comptac clips. You could still use the sex bolt that the VMII came with. I have extra "C" clips for my MTAC and just checked, I think it will work fine. I dont like the kydex tuckable clips for my VMII either. I'm one of the rare ones that doesnt like the VMII so much. My K&D Dakota defender is much more comfortable and also my HBE Pro TL tuckable.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I'd buy an HBE tuckable...was going to a while ago till I saw the price quote. I'm half broke right now. I love custom leather like nobody's business though.
    -Ryan

What about attaching velcro to the cllips and your belt. Crossbreed has a system like that to make thiers totaly concealed, not clips showing. That would allow you to get support from your belt with your current set-up.

Links