carry options for a small lady - Page 2

carry options for a small lady

This is a discussion on carry options for a small lady within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ....Ex: those guys were nearly casualties in the never ending error of the victim selection process...good for her! Several fellow female agents in my fed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carry options for a small lady

VIP Member
    ....Ex: those guys were nearly casualties in the never ending error of the victim selection process...good for her!

Several fellow female agents in my fed agency carry their guns (SIGARMS P229's or P239's) in fanny packs or their purses. I've known a few (emphasis on VERY few) to carry on their person under a jacket. Most female fed agents I know to carry a holstered gun concealed on their person are in the employ of the FBI.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    ill pitch for a bellyband style holster for her , a camasole makes a good undergarment while staying feminane

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    ON TOPIC: You can get a decent IWB that should work well. I can hide my Bersa under a T-shirt. On the same note, I can hide my service size Taurus under the same T-shirt, even at the same time. IWB, in my opinion, is one of the easiest and best concealment methods.
    I do not speak from experience (as I am not a woman, I am not small, and I can't get my wife to even consider carrying, let alone try on a holster), but am trying to think this through and I'm thinking IWB may not work so well in this case. With the dramatic flair of the female hip from the waiste I'm thinking the IWB holster may be horribly uncomfortable. No, I am not saying your wife has a fat ass, just that female curves and straight holsters may not mix. Hence the reason OWB holsters for women typically include a bit of an off-set.

Any girlies out there to confirm or deny this? Female carry is a frequent question on some other forums I visit as well, but females who carry seem few and far between. That makes real world answers are scarce.

Edited to add: Of course my logic is skewed if she wears hip huggers.....

If you do decide to go with a Comp-Tac CTAC for the Bersa Thunder 380 and she doesn't like it, I'd be willing to purchase it. My wife has a Bersa Thunder and I'm looking to get a holster for it as well.

This option would give you the ability to know that if you spent the money on it and didn't like it, you could turn around and sell it. I can hold off on buying one if you decide this is something you're interested in.
    Blinky

Dalai Lama - May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times

might check mitch rosen web site , seems to me he had special holsters for women
    good luck, hope this helps.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Take a look at Bulman Gunleather. My wife carries her 642 in one of his T.J. Special holsters. This is designed to be worn forward of the hip, appendix carry. She is very happy with it and it is a very well made holster.

http://www.bulmangunleather.com/beltholster.html

One thing to note about appendix carry for a women is they need to have something up top for there cover garment to drape over to help conceal the gun. For a small women this carry position may not work very well. This is my limited experience with womens carrry but it works well for my better half.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Brian, exactly what I was going to suggest! Women have shorter waists, which cause problems with traditional IWB/OWB carry, but a longer abdomen can make the appendix carry very workable (with the higher belt-line they won't be mashing anything when they sit!)

Incredibly fast & natural, also not a place too many carry.

VIP Member
    I'm 5' 3.5" and around 105 pounds. I've been using a bellyband for many years now - it'll fit that Bersa fine and she can wear it lower around her hips like I do. My gun is carried at the 4-5 o'clock position, and I can raise, lower, or slide it around for the best fit. Let the grips fit right in that curve our waists and butts make. Since warm weather is upon us and a big band of elastic can get sweaty, she can use some baby powder or a sweat-wicking undershirt under it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

my girlfriend is about 5'-3 and weighs about 105 lbs. She carries a sub-XD 9mm IWB almost 75% of the time every now and then when she wears tighter shirts she will put it in her purse or in the pocket of a jacket
    Kimber S/S tle pro

Thanks for all the tips everyone. She has a few weeks till she gets her permit so she has a while to decide on what she wants. Im sure everyone can agree that im glad she has decided on taking the proper steps to defend herself.

I would recommend a kel-tec or Kahr pm9 for slimmness of weapon, reliability, and simplicity of use (especially at her age...god bless her!)
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

There is a women and guns forum;
    http://womenandguns.servertalk.in/index.php
    She could stop by and see what the women over there are doing. I know my wife has been debating IWB vs. purse vs. fanny pack. As soon as her CCW arrives she will be considering a little more seriously. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocnerd
    There is a women and guns forum;
    http://womenandguns.servertalk.in/index.php
    She could stop by and see what the women over there are doing. I know my wife has been debating IWB vs. purse vs. fanny pack. As soon as her CCW arrives she will be considering a little more seriously. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip!

I think this thread at times has wandered a bit off track...RdRaceWannabee has the gun specified and is looking for suggestions on carry method.

I go along with the earlier suggestion of SmartCarry. Give it a try on their 60 trial offer if you purchase directly from them online. Feel free to give Charlie a call there--he is very helpful and provides customer service second to none! http://www.smartcarry.com/

If you do reconsider and want to look into a specialized "carry purse", based on my wife's experience, I highly recommend Coronado Leather. http://www.coronadoleather.com/

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Reality Check; how many of us have one carry method
    She'll need several depending how she dresses.

I have a Bersa; it's an excellent gun and is a natural tack driver and is nearly twice as thick as a kahr P9 and makes a J frame seem tiny. I like mine but will never understand why someone would choose that over a 9mm or better round with the sole exception of cost. i paid just over $200 for my Bersa and just over $700 for the Kahr. I believe the kahr would fit anyone with small hands far better than the Bersa.

Having said that, i believe she'll need to work out a combination but the thickness of the grip on the Bersa will be the hardest part to conceal.....

Good Luck

Gideon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links