Carry options for a petite woman?

This is a discussion on Carry options for a petite woman? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My finance wants to start carrying a pistol and we just wanted to see some carry options for a very petite woman! she is about ...

Thread: Carry options for a petite woman?

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

My finance wants to start carrying a pistol and we just wanted to see some carry options for a very petite woman! she is about 5 ft 110lbs. what guns do you carry? where do you carry it? and in what holster?
    thanks
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm glad to hear that, girls should be just as prepared as the guys.
    I'm 5'4" about 125 lbs. and everything I carry is carried OWB.
    What I carry could range fron a J-frame snubbie all the way up to a N-frame .44 Magnum, depending on my mood and where the day takes me.
    The one issue I had to work around the most was my short torso, ribs almost connected to the hips, and she might have a similar problem being petite. I've learned that a lower rise pants is essential for me to be able to conceal anything I carry. If her pants ride at the waist and she is short-waisted she will end up with the gun riding too high with most off-the-shelf holsters.
    A holster with 15-20 degrees of cant works best for me, try to find one with two slots to allow some adjustment of angle. I carry my Kimber Pro Crimson carry in a DeSantis speed scabbard and find it hides the best of all my carry guns, and I can hide it under an untucked tee shirt easily, bigger bulkier revolvers hide well under sweatshirts for me.
    Shirt length can also play a factor, make sure the shirt is long enough to keep things covered. Teach her to bend her knees if she needs to reach something low and use her left hand to reach for things above, while holding her right arm at her side firmly enough to keep the cover shirt from riding up.
    But do let her choose the gun she likes best. Take her to a fun shop/range that rents firearms and have her hold a few to see what feels good in her hand, then once she has narrowed things down to what holds and points well, rent and shoot them. Once she finds a gun she is comfortable with she will be more likely to carry it regularly.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Take a look at Cornered Cat
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Do a search for Limatunes on this site you will find some picks of her concealing a full sized 1911 and she is petite.

My petite wife does not like belts, so she uses a bellyband to carry her LCP. Also makes it easier to go to the restroom, since the gun stays in place. That also keeps it hidden from our kids - don't need them mentioning her gun at inopportune times!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

cj
    Interesting timing. I just got back in from mowing, where I was listening to the Proarms podcast (I use a noise canceling headset for the task). This podcast's topic was...women in the firearms media (including Kathy Jackson of the Cornered Cat website recommended earlier...and I also recommend).

Well worth a listen, but they also address this very question: link to podcast

What was interesting to me was first that they all seemed to use a 'contoured belt' (something I'd never heard mentioned before)...and next that many of them preferred appendix carry. From there, they also discuss their weapon choices, holsters, and ammunition. Well worth a listen, especially for your wife!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Appendix carry can and does work for some people. If she spends a lot of time seated, appendix carry can be tricky, especially with a larger gun. I can get away with it with my J-frame, anything longer can pose a problem. A compact firearm in a Smart Carry type holster carried over the appendix works well, even with a shirt tucked in and bloused over the grip. Us girls often have a bit of natural concealment built in from our bustlines holding the shirt away from the body.
    Please, please, please discourage her from any form of off-body carry.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    What I carry could range fron a J-frame snubbie all the way up to a N-frame .44 Magnum, depending on my mood and where the day takes me.
    ....................................J-frame, N-frame, Ruger girl? huh?

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    thats for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Appendix carry can and does work for some people. If she spends a lot of time seated, appendix carry can be tricky, especially with a larger gun. I can get away with it with my J-frame, anything longer can pose a problem. A compact firearm in a Smart Carry type holster carried over the appendix works well, even with a shirt tucked in and bloused over the grip. Us girls often have a bit of natural concealment built in from our bustlines holding the shirt away from the body.
    Please, please, please discourage her from any form of off-body carry.
    i agree! i have already discouraged her from off-body carry!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

LADYFIST HOLSTERS

Look at LADYFIST holsters.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Sponsored Links