Tips for Leather Holster Maintainence

This is a discussion on Tips for Leather Holster Maintainence within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I invested $80 bucks in my nice milt sparks holster. I want to make sure it lasts me a long time. What tips do you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Leather Holster Maintainence

Tips for Leather Holster Maintainence

I invested $80 bucks in my nice milt sparks holster. I want to make sure it lasts me a long time. What tips do you guys (and gals) have for properly maintaining them? I figured I would use a leather conditioner...is there a specific one on the market that won't react with gun metal. Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Bill
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

One of our holster makers who are on this site can give ya the best answer so ill leave it to them might take a day or 2

1952 - 2006
    Sam Andrews told me that I need do nothing to my holster other than not to expose it to prolonged sunlight or moisture. I've had a couple of them for almost 10 years now. They work as well as the day I got them.

I will occasionally spray some pure silicone on the suede lining.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrator

Post I really like this stuff - It's a real nice product

This is all I'm using these days to clean my holsters.
    I really like it a lot.
    It is by Fiebings called:

Leather Balm with Atom Wax. Neutral in color.

It sure works for me....and it does not soften the leather.
    I only use a little bit ("Sparingly" is the word I'm looking for ) to take off the gun grunge shooting residue that sometimes sometimes builds up on the outside of the holster & then it buffs up real nice with a cotton cloth & those scuff marks kinda go away.
    Do not use any product that will make your holster go mushy.
    It's better to do nothing than to use something that will soften up your holster.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    Sam Andrews told me that I need do nothing to my holster other than not to expose it to prolonged sunlight or moisture. I've had a couple of them for almost 10 years now. They work as well as the day I got them.

I will occasionally spray some pure silicone on the suede lining.
    Well there goes takin' my gun in the shower with me.

Actually that's my impression too, they really don't need much. One holster manufacturer told me that if it got really wet, rain, dunking, whatever, that I should take if off and not use it until it drys and it should be fine.

Then of course the mositure issue always brings up whether horsehide or cowhide is better for a holster. While other issues are debatable, I think everyone concedes that the pores of horsehide are too small too absorb mositure. Seals purportedly have worn horsehide holsters while submersed in water for prolonged periods with no effect.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    tangle, just duct tape your gun to your thigh for "tactical" shower carry....

;o)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Moderator
    LOL! That'd work! Gonna be painful gettin' it off, but then that's a different issue.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    The duct tape would sure make you think before you draw.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hi all!
    Each maker uses different stuff to finish their holsters, so I would suggest contacting Sparks and asking what they recommend.
    FWIW, here's the advise that I give my customers: http://brommelandgunleather.com/care.htm

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    LOL! That'd work! Gonna be painful gettin' it off, but then that's a different issue.
    And you get a bikini wax as well.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    if you're gonna use tape, forget the holster.
    Just tape the gun to your thigh.
    The BG will hear your scream as you draw and just freeze up allowing you complete victory.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I notice that Garry's instructions state: "Do not apply oil of any kind to any Brommeland product."

I personally rub down my pistols with some gun oil and a rag after I'm done handling them. Should I be buffing them with a dry cloth before holstering?
    "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." -- Winston Churchill

I cant speak for gary but if its a heavy coat of oil i would iusually leave a very very very light coat of oil on my slides etc for protection

I'll second Gary's advice to call Milt Sparks. Tony Kanaley (owner) is a great guy and he'd gladly offer advice on how to care for his products. He's also a moderator for the holster forum on 1911Forum.com, might ask over there and see what response ya' get.

I'm currently using Gary Brommeland's gear so I try to follow his advice on caring for his products. Overall, the holster makers I've talked with advise against using any product that could soften the leather.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Omni
    I notice that Garry's instructions state: "Do not apply oil of any kind to any Brommeland product."

I personally rub down my pistols with some gun oil and a rag after I'm done handling them. Should I be buffing them with a dry cloth before holstering?

The small amount of oil that can transfer from the gun onto the holster is not a problem - so long as it isn't dripping with it. While petroleum will destroy leather, we're only talking about trace amounts and my holsters are sealed with an acrylic dip process that prevents it from being destructive.
    The "oil" issue stems from the tendency for gunwriters and other "experts" to recommend neetsfoot, mink or harness oil as a dressing for a holster. Any of these materials will almost instantly soften the leather to the point in which a holster becomes a limp leather bag, and pretty much useless.
    Years ago, I had a customer that, after having read a western novel about a "well oiled holster" being "fast", went out to his garage and soaked his brand new Max-Con overnight in a can of 30wt motor oil !! That was when I added the exclusion of "blatant acts of stupidity" to my lifetime warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links