Best Car-Mounted Holster Option?

This is a discussion on Best Car-Mounted Holster Option? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently keep my XD Compact in the center console of my truck when I drive. This is obviously not the most quickly accessible option. ...

Thread: Best Car-Mounted Holster Option?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Best Car-Mounted Holster Option?

I currently keep my XD Compact in the center console of my truck when I drive. This is obviously not the most quickly accessible option. So what I'm looking for are ideas for faster access with good concealment.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a method of carrying on my body while driving. I'm strictly after something that is vehicle-mounted.

I looked at the rig that wraps a belt around the seat. Two things I don't like about it:

1. I don't want to sit on a belt.

2. The gun is in plain sight when you open the door and possibly to a front seat passenger.

I also really don't like the idea of modifying/butchering the truck in any way. This will hurt resale and possibly affect the warranty. No good.

So what would you folks recommend? I want it to be well concealed but accessible and without any drilling.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    DeSantis Kingston

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    DeSantis Kingston

But again....

1. I don't want to sit on a belt.

2. The gun is in plain sight when you open the door and possibly to a front seat passenger.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Ohai Modular Holster

This is the setup I use. I mount the velcro to the left side of the console. I have thought about mounting it under the dash.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Ace Car Holster sold through SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters in the products links.

Velcro holster with Velcro pad you place on your car/truck. I bought extra pads one for each car/truck. Works great.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Look at grassburr holsters. I plan on getting this rig for my wifes car as sson as money is available. ATV Gun Rack Mounted Handgun Solutions, Handgun Safety, Grassburr Leatherworks, Custom Leatherworks

Under the Steering Wheel

I know this doesn't cover your second condition but it's actually a pretty cool idea. I'm sure you can cover it pretty easily. It looks like it will take any holster so a pouch holster might work which would conceal the gun.

http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfan View Post
    I know this doesn't cover your second condition but it's actually a pretty cool idea. I'm sure you can cover it pretty easily. It looks like it will take any holster so a pouch holster might work which would conceal the gun.

Vehicle Handgun Mount / Vehicle Handgun Mounts / Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount / Universal Steering Wheel Handgun Mount - Gum Creek Customs, LLC
    Now that's pretty slick. My only concern would be that you have to make an obvious reach for it unless you are in a Smart Car or something similar.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Have you considered an OWB or IWB cross-draw (concealed)? If one was actually carjacked, or otherwise threatened inside a vehicle, a quick exit may be necessary (or you could be physically pulled out), I'd prefer to have the weapon come with me and not be trying to grab for it on my way out.

Gun in car is great, gun in car while you're being pulled out is not only useless, but could be more dangerous for you.

FIST and Andrews Leather both have products that come to mind...or a FOBUS/i-Tac/SERPA cantable paddle holster works great. Just cover with a light garment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Now that's pretty slick. My only concern would be that you have to make an obvious reach for it unless you are in a Smart Car or something similar.
    I guess if you drive with your seat all the way back and one arm propped up on the wheel it my be. j/k
    Otherwise it looks like a quick slide of the hand right over your knees.

*hmmm good topic -- Subscribed*

I have the gum creek mount. While definitely in plain view in between your legs, the entire thing releases quickly in one simple lift of the buckle. But doesn't release until you lift...it stays put. You can very easily take it on or off and stick it in your console or wherever and it's easy to reach. I was going to go with the Kingston until I found this one. Not as much in the way, cheaper and not sitting on a strap.
    Last edited by fullcry; September 23rd, 2009 at 01:55 AM.

Links