Laser sights on wrong side

This is a discussion on Laser sights on wrong side within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine bought his wife a Glock 19 on my recommendation. I was over at his house the other day and he showed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser sights on wrong side

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

A friend of mine bought his wife a Glock 19 on my recommendation. I was over at his house the other day and he showed it to me. He installed a laser sight on it. I believe it was a Crimson Trace laser.

I was "playing" with it (ya, ya, triple checked, unloaded, mag out, etc) and it was very nice. Helped substantially in shot placement. If the BG sees exactly where the bullet will be going, he may think twice.

HOWEVER, my biggest issue is that if my finger is off the trigger and in a properly safe position on the slide, it is blocking the path of the laser. My friend is left handed, so he never noticed this.

I searched CT's sight, and did not notice if they have any lasers with the actual laser on the LEFT side of the slide where my proper finger placement will not block the path of the laser. I would think they would have thought of this.

Most salesmen tell me to just lower my finger a lot to keep the laser unobstructed, but it just seems like bad design given that a majority of shooters are right handed.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Since your friend is left handed, I would consider it a non issue.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

A laser in the left side would interfere with your side when it is holstered. The left side of the firearm needs to be flat.

I think you're 'right' in thinking about this. No pun intended. I do know what you're saying though. I've tried these out at the gun shop, and I just don't like the idea of them coming on when I grip the pistol naturally. Not only that, my grip on my Glocks is so high, my trigger finger knuckle usually blocks it's path (on the Crimson Trace you're talking about). I want something like that to come on when I want it to come on..when on or close to target. I don't want to sweep anything with the laser before hand, as my grip is taken soon from the draw. Don't want to become the pied piper of cats in a defensive situation if you know what I mean. However...aids (terms of assisting devices in one form or another..in this case sighting) are always a compromise.
    Maybe CT hasn't thought of it, and in which case, you should contact them with your suggestions, then charge a fee for your R&D, then dedicate a percentage of your profit to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by JSBaker View Post
    A laser in the left side would interfere with your side when it is holstered. The left side of the firearm needs to be flat.
    Only if you're right handed.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    The CT laser on my 1911 is just above my index finger. I have at times, noticed that my finger blocked the laser when activated. I have now trained my finger to ride lower so its not in the way of the beam. My finger was riding along the slide instead of along side the trigger guard. It was a bad habit but now a non issue. Now I have no interference with my hands and the laser.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Glock 19 ... Crimson Trace laser ... left handed
    I have not had a CT laser on a pistol before. Nice to know they've designed them lefty, from the get-go.

Most salesmen tell me to just lower my finger a lot to keep the laser unobstructed, but it just seems like bad design given that a majority of shooters are right handed.
    As a lefty speaking: welcome to my world.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have this same setup on my G19 - no problems blocking the beam.

You could look into the LaserGuard, which I have on my G26 - it puts the laser under the dust cover.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    (1) I don't understand why some think the only "proper" position for one's trigger finger, other than the trigger, is 'way up there on the slide. With my several handguns, the "natural" position varies a bit, sometimes the frame, sometimes the slide. I see some folks strain and struggle to get their trigger fingers up onto that slide.

(2) When my muzzle finds a target, my finger is finding the trigger. In that case, it won't be blocking the laser by the time I need to verify the sight picture, whether using sights or dotting the target. IOW, blocking the laser's beam with the trigger finger is quite simply a non-issue.

(3) Don't use the laser's dot to "walk" the weapon onto the desired point of impact! Point the pistol at the target, then use the laser to verify and/or fine-tune point of aim. As indicated above, by that point in time, the place for the trigger finger is somewhere other than 'way up there on the slide.

I see no reason for the laser to be needed when in a ready position.

Just my $0.02.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I have not had a CT laser on a pistol before. Nice to know they've designed them lefty, from the get-go.

As a lefty speaking: welcome to my world.
    They're NOT designed for lefties....I'm a leftie & they don't work for me. I shoot 'high thumbs' & they block the laser!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I see this as an advantage. One can use their finger to block the laser so as to not "sweep" the laser prematurely. In a clearing situation this would be useful because you don't want the BG to see the little red dot coming through the door.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

I always considered that feature. If I am not aiming at something I don't want it to know where I am... necessarily. If I decide to alert it I will be doing so with my voice so the little red dot would be a non-issue.

well put rexter, if there is onething shooters should understand it is that everybody shoots a bit differently, for me i put my index on the trigger guard like i'm pointing strait at my target
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur- family motto, translation: Thus We Guard Our Sacred Rights

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    They're NOT designed for lefties....I'm a leftie & they don't work for me. I shoot 'high thumbs' & they block the laser!
    +1, I'm a lefty too.
    You are absolutely correct sir! Might work if I'm shooting with one hand, but that would be rare.
    There are not many things that are designed for lefties, this certainly is not one of them.

It for the very reason Censored stated, they talk about it on thier video. You can block the laser with your finger while moving around as not to alert some one that you are coming around the corner. Then you simply move your finger to the trigger when you have aquired your target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links