IWB draw problems

This is a discussion on IWB draw problems within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, first thing apologies in order; I tried the search engine and came up with nothing. I carry a Taurus 1911 in a IWB holster ...

Thread: IWB draw problems

IWB draw problems

Ok, first thing apologies in order; I tried the search engine and came up with nothing.

I carry a Taurus 1911 in a IWB holster from Little Bear Holsters. The holster fits the gun fine. The problem is that, no matter how tight my belt is (gun belt, Galco) there is still some give and the belt goes up at least an inch before the gun comes out. I really have to strong arm it to get it out. Now, maybe my holster needs more time to be broken in? I dunno, I am kinda frustrated. Thinking about a new holster get up, but I'm not sure that it's the holster's fault. FWIW, I'm a small guy, 5' 6", 150# 31" waist.
    Attached Images
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    The holster appears to be made for a 1 1/2" belt. Is that what you are using? Your belt should also be about the same size as the belt loops on your pants so very little movement is possible. The holster looks great, have you contacted Dave about this? Maybe he can help.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

(A) Beltman belt and (B) more draws should loosen the holster. I purchased a blue gun(pratice gun) and it took seerval draws to break in the holster. It is like being a kid and breaking in a new mitt w/o all the rubberbands or sticking it under your matress.

Rig

Have you wrapped the unloaded gun in a bag or wax paper to loosen/break it in??
    Are the clips too big for the belt?? If they are not holding in properly because they are too big, that will be a problem and I can easily send you a smaller set and give you a return label for the others.

If you go to my website, I have posted how I break in a rig and how 3-4 other makers recommend it as well.

If you have questions, please call or email, I am always glad to help and stand behind my products.

sgb
    Are you fighting the cant of the holster?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    ...no matter how tight my belt is (gun belt, Galco) there is still some give and the belt goes up at least an inch before the gun comes out.
    Sounds like you need a wider belt. If the clips on your holster are the proper (same as your belt) size, then that movement is due to your belt loops being wider than your belt.

If the holster 'fits' the belt, and the belt is tight enough, it shouldn't be able to move.
    When the holster is off the belt, can you easily remove the firearm?
    Where is the holster on your waist?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The belt should be a purpose built gunbelt. I really like those from The Belt Man, but by no means is he the only quality belts out there.

The belt should be made to fit the slots or clips on the holster. For example, an 1 1/4" belt on a holster with 1 1/2" or 2" slots or clips will have a noticeable difference with the draw.

The belt should also fit the width of the belt loops on your trousers.

If all those parameters match up, and the gun and belt combo is worn snug, but not uncomfortable, it should allow for a smooth draw without the belt and your pants being yanked upwards.

Now, with new holsters which are deeply boned to match the weapon, it may be a pretty snug fit when new. The boning is where a quality holster gets it's weapon retention from. If it is an extremely tight fit, working with it repeatedly will help loosen it up a bit. It may take some time. Some holster manufacturers have a procedure to follow in order to properly "break in" the holster.

Regardless, if the gun, the holster, the belt and the trousers being worn aren't mated properly, there is going to be some compromise.

For those who are very particular about their draw and have an absolute requirement that the holster doesn't budge when they draw, needs to be very particular when it comes to matching their wardrobe with the gear and the gun.

If you are looking for perfection, it may get rather expensive as some people go so far as to have their wardrobe custom tailored so that belt loops, waist bands, and other features are modified from the regular "off the rack" items.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I noticed the clips are set at the lowest possible position. I'm not sure this is the problem, but a different position might make a difference. Also, any ne holster needs breaking in.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I fully agree with the comments that have been posted thus far. You should definetely expect some break in period with new leather. One thing that I've used fairly successfully is to spray your gun with some dry silicone spray and run it through the rig a bunch of times. Repeat this process a couple of times and what you'll end up with is a nice coating of silicone along some of the major pressure points which will allow for a slightly easier draw. Just make sure you properly clean your firearm afterwards to get rid of any silicone that might have gotten down the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If the holster 'fits' the belt, and the belt is tight enough, it shouldn't be able to move.
    When the holster is off the belt, can you easily remove the firearm?
    Where is the holster on your waist?
    I noticed that the belt is about 1/4" smaller than the clips, so I used my Uncle Mike's instructor belt last night as the clips seem to match up better, also that reduces the play in my belt loops on my pants.

I wear at 3:00-3:30. And I don't know how to determine if the holster removes easily. I guess that the pistol comes out relatively easily when off the belt.

I suspect that it's a combination of all these things. I'm going to practice drawing with this other belt...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

fm2
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I noticed that the belt is about 1/4" smaller than the clips, so I used my Uncle Mike's instructor belt last night as the clips seem to match up better, also that reduces the play in my belt loops on my pants.
    Yes, if the belt is narrower than the clips, get some clips/loops that fit the width of the belt.

Links