A Tale of Two Holsters

This is a discussion on A Tale of Two Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I was needing to get my new Taurus 85 (j-frame) holstered up and I found these two little numbers on CheaperThanDirt. They are both ...

Thread: A Tale of Two Holsters

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

A Tale of Two Holsters

So, I was needing to get my new Taurus 85 (j-frame) holstered up and I found these two little numbers on CheaperThanDirt. They are both by Ace Case.

The IWB holster is made out of some sort of "Pleather" and it stinks. The fabric that is stitched around the bottom makes it difficult to fully holster the gun and even when fully holstered retention is very poor. Besides that, this thing flops and dives like crazy in the waist band.
    Short story: don't get this one, it's not worth the $9.97 I paid for it.

The pocket holster is made out of nylon and has strips of rubbery stuff sewn in around the middle to give it stabiliy in the pocket. Holster to Pocket retention is good. Gun to Holster retention is good. It is confortable to wear. I've had it in cargo pocket of shorts, front pocket of dress pants, rear pocket of dress pants (with a cover garment) and I love it.
    Best $5.97 I have ever spent. They also have a model for small semi-autos.
    Attached Images
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

2. Remove Ads

I took a $12 IWB Uncle Mike's and made a great pocket holster for my S&W 340PD. All I did was take the plastic belt loop retainer off... it's the best pocket holster I've come across.

What do you recommed for a Kimber Pro Carry?

BTW, I'm also a pastor in the Houston area.
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

Yep I'm getting my Taurus 85 holstered up also. I have a IWB from High Noon so figured I'd try a OWB/IWB combo. So I got a Simply Rugged "Silver Dollar" on the way to me.

I have a simular IWB for my Glock 26 as the IWB Ace that you got but is a Uncle Mikes and the retention isn't all that great on it either. Don't think I'll have a problem with the Simply Rugged , got a feeling it just may be the cat's meeoww.

But have learned one thing in just a short bit of time that quality holsters make the world of difference. Thats why I now have a Tucker"Secret", High Noon, Simply rugged, and a Woolfe holster for my rigs. All I lack now is a good holster for my Glock 26.

Quote Originally Posted by slade View Post
    I took a $12 IWB Uncle Mike's and made a great pocket holster for my S&W 340PD. All I did was take the plastic belt loop retainer off... it's the best pocket holster I've come across.

I use my Tucker "Secret" for my compact 1911. Really good holster and is comfortable and quality. I also have a Crossbreed supertuck for my 1911's but prefer the Tucker though the CB is a very good holster also.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slade View Post

If you're looking for IWB, you owe it yourself to look at Crossbreed Holsters--Their Supertuck is just awesome.

You're in good company here, we just crawling with pastors. Glad to have you on board!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Pastors who pack amongst the pews...count me as one, too! I'm in Idaho...

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    Pastors who pack amongst the pews...count me as one, too! I'm in Idaho...
    I'm retired and I pack, too.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I guess I missed your question...

IMHO, you get what you pay for. What you have may work, but if you ever try a quality holster, you won't ever go back.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I guess I missed your question...

IMHO, you get what you pay for. What you have may work, but if you ever try a quality holster, you won't ever go back.
    It seems this is the case in almost all things. To a certain point. I also believe there is a diminishing return once you reach a higher quality. But you can't get away from it, cheap is cheap almost always.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

I was going to order one, but shipping costs far more than the holster! whiskey tango foxtrot over?
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Links