What? No Jacket?

This is a discussion on What? No Jacket? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perhaps the weather is not yet cool enough, but when/where/why would you carry (or have you carried) in a jacket or vest rather than a ...

View Poll Results: Use a jacket or vest to carry concealed?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't or won't own one. See no practical value.

91 51.12%
  • Tried one or more, but always carry in a regular holster instead.

23 12.92%
  • Sometimes I prefer to carry (or bug) in my overgarment.

16 8.99%
  • When it's jacket weather, my jacket is loaded!

48 26.97%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What? No Jacket?

What? No Jacket?

Perhaps the weather is not yet cool enough, but when/where/why would you carry (or have you carried) in a jacket or vest rather than a belt or shoulder rig?

I have a very nice 'shoot me first' 5.11 vest in the closet, and a couple of jackets with cc flaps, but other than to try them against a mirror for printing checks, these clothes have never been worn 'loaded' so I'm wondering, who prefers (or at east sees value in) carrying in such outerwear?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't, just as you called it, shoot me first clothing. I wear a leather jacket or fleece jacket during the winter and fall.

I've tried this method before and didn't care for it. I use jackets in cold weather as cover garments (and keeping warm) and always carry in a regular holster IWB or OWB.

I wear a jacket when needed to keep warm, period. That doesn't happen very often down here......

I don't modify how I carry regardless of the weather.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Since you are in Florida you are well aware that we have very few days when a jacket is needed. A non-tucked flannel shirt, or loose fitting sweatshirt both do an excellent job of concealing. I usually go to my Kahr PM-9 in a pocket holster when a jacket is required.

I also agree that a 5.11 vest/jacket is like wearing a sign that says "look at me I'm carrying a gun." The whole idea of concealed carry is to not be conspicuous.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't own any outer garments specifically designed for CC.
    That said, I do sometimes carry in an outer pocket of my winter coat for ease of access.
    Winter in MN is COLD and dressing in layers can make it almost impossible to reach a carry weapon on your belt. I sometimes clip an IWB on my insulated coveralls under my left arm for the same reason.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

A jacket for cover when weather permits. During the deep freeze up here I carry in an outer coat or parka pocket.

bosco

I've carried a snubby or two in the pockets of a full-length, heavy coat when the weather was bad, and I was walking the streets of St. Louis.

I don't do it often, avoid it when I can, but sometimes the occassion calls for it.

Much faster than digging through a layer or three of clothes for a gun.

I'm from Minnesota and I wear coats of every nature full time from Oct. 1 to the end of April. Sport coats are a year around thing for me and light weight wind breakers for my early morning runs. OK, so I wear coats. I almost always use a "regular" holster. If I can cover it properly, my choice is a shoulder holster.
    It doesn't happen often, but I do have a heavy leather jacket that can carry the weight of a pistol in one of the large side pockets. I have done it that way, but I don't like the gun not being attached to my body. I don't think it is a good practice.

It's a holster and my Leather jacket when the weather calls for it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I prefer to have a holster, but when it's freezing here, I want to be able to get to reach my gun without having to shed 3 layers of clothes!

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Snubbie in the jacket. The trick is practicing firearm presentation with gloves on while the snubbie is in the jacket. Takes some getting used to.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    Perhaps the weather is not yet cool enough, but when/where/why would you carry (or have you carried) in a jacket or vest rather than a belt or shoulder rig?

I have a very nice 'shoot me first' 5.11 vest in the closet, and a couple of jackets with cc flaps, but other than to try them against a mirror for printing checks, these clothes have never been worn 'loaded' so I'm wondering, who prefers (or at east sees value in) carrying in such outerwear?
    I live in Arizona, don't need a jacket
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Another Minnesotan here, and we wear vests, jackets and coats for fall, winter and into spring.

This winter I'll keep my new SIG P238 in right coat pocket for easier access...easy to keep my ungloved right hand in my pocket, and it doesn't look unusual around here.

I have found that the "golfy" microfiber vests blouse up near the webbing at the bottom, making them an excellent cover garment with fairly easy access. I even wear them under a coat in winter so I can shed my coat and still be concealed. I have a black, navy and khaki so I'm sylin' for any occasion....heh.

Oh, and would someone please cite an actual incident where the person in the vest was "shot first"--good grief, let that myth take a rest...

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

When winter arrives here in Michigan, staying warm is equally important to staying armed... after all, what good will having a firearm do you when you've frozen solid? If you can just dash from car -> building -> car that's great, but some of us have to actually exist in the icy doom.

If you go coat shopping with the intent to be able to holster a gun in it.. it's not that outrageously difficult. I have several jackets and coats that can securely hold a holster and be in a position to readily remove from the holster if necessary. But come cold season, almost everything I need on my person moves from being in pants/belt area to coat area.

Autumn/spring is more difficult... but doable. I usually wear a leather jacket during the cool months, and I'm thinking of finding a wear to wear a vest with it. The jacket doesn't have an easy way to holster to it, but I think a vest inside of it and maybe turn one of the jacket pockets into an invisible pocket.. would work. But I sew, so perhaps I'm looking at it differently. :)

But I think when it is weather appropriate, nobody will give it second thought if you have extra layers of clothing - whether they are for simple concealment or also holstering. In fact around here, if you *don't* have extra layers and it's getting brisk outside, you stick out like a sore thumb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links