Anyone use a clip IWB holster WITHOUT a belt?

This is a discussion on Anyone use a clip IWB holster WITHOUT a belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would never do this on a regular basis, but suppose you want to occasionally "slap the gun on" just to take a walk or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a clip IWB holster WITHOUT a belt?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

I would never do this on a regular basis, but suppose you want to occasionally "slap the gun on" just to take a walk or something? I'm talking about walking around with it for maybe an hour or less and you don't want to fool with a belt. I'm also talking strictly about the clip type, not one with belt loops. Just snap it over the side of the pants and go.

Anyone do this?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Nope Gravity requires I wear a belt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    It wouldn't be my first choice (obviously) but I could do it if I carried something lighter than what I have now (G30).

Fortunately, I've gotten used to wearing a belt and putting on my gun is part of my morning routine, just like making sure I've got my cell phone and wallet.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I do this with a Glock 30 in an MTAC holster while wearing cargo shorts or board shorts. I do have the C clips on the MTAC.

It would probably depend on your normal fit in your clothes though as well as what type of clothing (shorts/jeans etc.) you were wearing. The board shorts and the cargo shorts both have a waistband that doesn't stretch so the retention and stability are good. I'm sure you would have a different experience in sweats or even a loose fitting pair of jeans.

I wear an IWB clip holster without a belt probably more often then I should. Gravity does get in the way if the pants are too loose, but if the pants (preferably jeans on my part) are tight enough, I have had no real problem. I use a Don Hume IWB with a clip for both of my 1911's and also on the rare occassion that I carry a Beretta 92. The Don Hume holster almost takes an act of God to come loose ( a good thing)and my 1911's and/or the Beretta fit real well inside a pair of Wranglers.

VIP Member
    I do on occasion with my j frame, usually if I am running to the store or other quick trip away from the house.

I have a cheap clip-type IWB holster that was laying in a drawer. It's made of "glove leather" so it's not too sturdy. But just as an experiment, I tried this with cargo pants the other night and it fit perfectly. That's why I brought it up. I couldn't imagine really needing a belt with something like this. In some really flimsy shorts, yes, a belt would be needed, but if the pants are pretty sturdy I don't see it.

-miklcolt45

I do all the time. See nothing wrong with it. If you pants fit the added width of the holster keeps it secure. I carry my P32 and Rami this way amost of the time. Not fond of belts.

I often carry a P3AT this way, using a light pigskin holster with a secure metal clip IWB. Since I wear regular-cut jeans there is never a 'gravity' problem.

I do this all the time with either a P40 or a sw99c. IWB appendix. I do it because it is easy, dependable, and very concealed.

Rick

I have done this with a Fist #41 and my KelTec P-380...very secure.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have worn my IWB Tuck-able with my Taurus PT111 Mil Pro 9mm , Buuuut I wear Old-man suspenders . LOL

Well, it looks like I may already have this matter licked. I had a Comp-Tac Infidel laying in a drawer and had almost completely forgotten about it since getting the Crossbreed SuperTuck. In case you don't know, the Infidel is all Kydex. Yes, I prefer leather but this works fine for my purposes.

So I decided to try an experiment. I took the XD 45 Compact (unloaded and cleared), tucked it in and tried a test draw. The holster came right out with it.

So I tightened the screws that hold the clip so it could grip the pants tighter, then slightly loosened the screws that control gun retention. Voila! Beltless IWB! The tension of the pants' waistline holds it all together solidly, and the extra tightness on the clip keeps the holster intact on the draw.

Next I tried it with the magazine loaded but nothing chambered. Same result.

Granted, this wouldn't be how I would walk around all day but it looks like a nice "slap on and go" option.

Either way, I'm happy.

EDIT: And for those deeply concerned, no, I won't be trying this with the GP100!

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I can't keep empty pants up without a belt, much less all the crap I carry.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I do this sometimes too. Can't do it with all my guns but I do it with a couple of them.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links