Cross Draw Advantage

This is a discussion on Cross Draw Advantage within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently tried out a means of carry that I think I am going to stick with. Cross Draw! I have a SA 1911-A1 in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Draw Advantage

Cross Draw Advantage

I recently tried out a means of carry that I think I am going to stick with.

Cross Draw!

I have a SA 1911-A1 in a SERPA holster. One day, after reading this site for a while, I decided to readjust my holster for a Cross Draw configuration.

Voila!

Now I can sit down without shifting all over, I can access my weapon in the car without fighting the seat, the seatbelt, and the laws of motion. I can put my hands in front of me demurely in a bad situation, appearing peaceful and harmless, then pull the gun with great speed. The speed is another advantage; nothing else has proven to be as quick (in my case). Last, but not least, I can relax a bit more with the weapon right in front of me. Who's going to get it away from me there, but the most determined of adversaries?

Concealment is easier than I thought, too. The 1911 is a nice flat design, and takes well to the approach. I am curious about a more dedicated holster, but I am really happy about the way it works out now.

Try it and see!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    Last, but not least, I can relax a bit more with the weapon right in front of me. Who's going to get it away from me there, but the most determined of adversaries?
    Any opponent that is facing you.

Senior Moderator
    Been exploring cross carry a lot myself. When seated, esp. in a vehicle, the gun is much more available than a 3:00 carry.

Even when standing, it is very available, yet very discrete. There are many situations where you could have your hand on your gun without anyone even knowing it.

If you wound up on your back you could access the gun much easier and quicker in a X-draw than a 3:00 position.

As far as a take away, who's gonna know it's there? And is a 3:00 really any less susceptible to a take away attempt than a X-draw? It may be worse, simply because they can take it from the 3:00 from behind.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Cross draw is fine ...

as long as you don't have a pot belly.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Crossdraw with mechanical retention (SERPA) is a very practical conceiled holster option. Without it, the close-quarter gun-grab is just too easy & quick (proven to me by a U.S. Marshall friend). Be safe!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I had a Fist crossdraw-driving holster made for my Walther P99 .40cal and it is now my holster of choice whenever I am going to be getting in and out of my car doing everyday stuff. It is almost second nature to switch from one position to the other. Covers easily with a jacket or untucked shirt and is perfect for driving.

FIST, INC.

bosco

I have 2 Serpa's for my HK USP. I have both setup as paddles with one being cross draw and the other strong side grip forward. I have an hour + commute every day and I go cross draw in the car and just switch to strong side when I get out. Works great.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've driven hours and hours and made long trips with my gun IWB on the strong side. I'll stick with it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

hbc
    Just to add to your point, cross draw is a great option for persons with long arms relative to the length of their torsos. I have a full-size 1911 that I literally can't draw from a holster positioned at 3-4:00 without bending sideways at a 45 degree angle. Different body types can require different carry arrangements. A cross draw rig was the right solution for me.

Several television programing and gun periodicals have been brining up the advantage of cross draw while driving the past 6 months or so. If I had the resources, I would buy one, for that use.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Let me get a little more specific here, as Pizza Bob had a point about someone right in front being able to take the gun.

I carry mine at the 1030-1100 position. The grip rests against my belly to the left of my navel about 2 inches away. It would be very difficult for someone to get at it, especially since the SERPA has a retention system and the angle would be prohibitive of activating the release or even removing the gun at all. Not to mention, its placement there allows for more options defensively with all four limbs being capable of "dissuading" someone who wants my weapon.

Basically, try this:

Take your preferred carry pistol (unloaded), and sit in a comfortable chair or car seat. Place the trigger guard on the top of your weak-side thigh with the barrel pointed outboard, or away from you. Now rest the bulk of the gun against your belly. Cant the barrel down just a bit and...

That's how my gun sits.

Very comfortable and easy to access. I can be as active as I want or drive forever and still get my gun with minimal issues. It's basically just sitting on my lap.

Concealment is surprisingly easy, even with the weapon being what amounts to right in front of me. I like wearing long-tailed "Dickies" shirts (untucked) and they cover the gun entirely, buttoned or otherwise.

Just another option...
    Last edited by EvilMonk; September 15th, 2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Grammar
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Never thought about the body size/style thing but I'm 6' 2" and large frame. It's worked well for me for many, many years.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I also like the cross draw - "draw ability" but find it harder to conceal for my normal off duty wear. Maybe if / when I get a vest I'll try it again.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    I recently tried out a means of carry that I think I am going to stick with.

Cross Draw!

I have a SA 1911-A1 in a SERPA holster. One day, after reading this site for a while, I decided to readjust my holster for a Cross Draw configuration.

Voila!

Now I can sit down without shifting all over, I can access my weapon in the car without fighting the seat, the seatbelt, and the laws of motion. I can put my hands in front of me demurely in a bad situation, appearing peaceful and harmless, then pull the gun with great speed. The speed is another advantage; nothing else has proven to be as quick (in my case). Last, but not least, I can relax a bit more with the weapon right in front of me. Who's going to get it away from me there, but the most determined of adversaries?

Concealment is easier than I thought, too. The 1911 is a nice flat design, and takes well to the approach. I am curious about a more dedicated holster, but I am really happy about the way it works out now.

Try it and see!
    Would you be willing to post a photo in the "Show us how you carry" thread? I am interested in cross-draw because of commute. I think if I see enough photos, I might save myself from purchasing holsters that don't work. Thanks!

-M

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ditto on the post photo please.
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links