Carry positions and driving/sitting comfort

This is a discussion on Carry positions and driving/sitting comfort within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am having a bit of a issue with comfortable CC. At the moment I'm using a pretty cheap uncle mikes IWB holder and carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry positions and driving/sitting comfort

Carry positions and driving/sitting comfort

I am having a bit of a issue with comfortable CC. At the moment I'm using a pretty cheap uncle mikes IWB holder and carrying at 3 o'clock. I am planning on getting a good quality holster but I am wondering about comfort and positions.

My first issue is that I feel like I can conceal the weapon a bit better at 4 o'clock then I can at 3 but 4 seems like it is going to be pretty uncomfortable while driving. I tried it in the uncle mikes and it was horrible but I know that a good quality holster makes all the difference in the world. I have been eyeing the minotaur MTAC holster for my first "real" holster purchase. Do any of you carry at 4 o'clock with one of these and find it comfortable while driving/sitting? Is it comfortable?

My second issue is on IWB vs OWB carry and how much difference it really make with printing. My usuall style of dress is jeans, undershirt and a long sleeved button down shirt (buttoned up). What a lot of people would probably refer to as the "Metro look" :) I have seen some OWB holster that seem to put the pistol VERY close to the wearers body. These seem like they would be more or less the same as carrying IWB execpt that the barrel isnt sticking down your pants. What is your expirence with this?

Thanks for any advice you can give to this rookie carrier!

2. Remove Ads

I wear my MTAC at about 2:00 to 2:30. That makes it easy to sit and drive.

As much as I like my MTAC, OWB is sooooo comfortable! A lot of them hold your handgun close to the body and make it as easy to conceal as IWB.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

RMS
    I have a Crossbreed Super Tuck that I wear daily. I generally wear it at 3-3:30. I daily wear dress shirts and dress pants because of my work. I have no discomfort whether riding or sitting. A quality holster makes all the difference.

I like my MTAC around 3:30-4:00, but I usually slide it forward when I drive.

You might also consider strapping a holster to your seat and transferring the gun to it before you put on your seat belt. I'm going to look into that myself.

First off,. Take that "uncle Mikes" holster and throw it out before your weapon falls out at a bad time..

Second - Call Rocky at Pure Kustoms and order a good holster from him... It is adjustable for IWB and OWB and forward and backward Kant,. You will find this holster will hug tight to you and be more comfortable then you ever thought it would be.. Cost isn't cheap, but you'll only be buying one and I can say it is the most comfortable holster I have every wore,.

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    First off,. Take that "uncle Mikes" holster and throw it out before your weapon falls out at a bad time..

Second - Call Rocky at Pure Kustoms and order a good holster from him... It is adjustable for IWB and OWB and forward and backward Kant,. You will find this holster will hug tight to you and be more comfortable then you ever thought it would be.. Cost isn't cheap, but you'll only be buying one and I can say it is the most comfortable holster I have every wore,.
    I REALLY like the idea of a quality holster that can be worn both OWB and IWB. 150.00 is WELL worth it to me. Thanks for the advice!

I carry at what I would say is between 3 and 4. Not directly on my right hip but just a tad behind. I use an IWB holster from Tucker Gunleather, Tucker Gunleather called their Coverup style. I don't know the carry laws in Indiana but what I do when in the car is use a cheap cross draw holster that clips onto my belt. In MN we don't have to conceal so I leave it exposed in the car while I do conceal everywhere else.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

+1 on the Pure Kustom!
    I can wear the G19 on my strong side and the M&P 9c crossdraw. Each IWB and with comfort in their own Black Ops Pro.

Triple the kudos for Rocky at Pure Kustom, infinitely adjustable and Very comfortable. Hey, he's a nice guy to work with to boot!

IWB @ 3:30, 4:00. Not ideal, or the easiest draw seated, but I usually remove my 9 and place it under my left thigh when I'm going through a questionable part of town.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

You have to work on 'that spot'.
    I usually carry at 5:00 over the kidney. It's a spot that seems to disappear, even when sitting. It is more difficult to retrieve from a sitting position in a vehicle...but practice, or a second pistol solves that difficulty.
    You can make anything work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You have to work on 'that spot'.
    I usually carry at 5:00 over the kidney. It's a spot that seems to disappear, even when sitting. It is more difficult to retrieve from a sitting position in a vehicle...but practice, or a second pistol solves that difficulty.
    You can make anything work.
    Seems good for concealment but seems like it would be seriously uncomfortable when sitting in the car.

I carry a 5" 1911 in a DeSantis OWB at 4-4:30. Conceals well under a shirt or jacket in cooler months. Also have a HBE IWB. I don't use it much as it's uncomfortable while sitting. Holding out for a Pure Kustom....sigh, some day.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

I carry about 4 O'clock and it's not bad in the car... I think if I was driving for more than a few hours I would take it out though...
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

I normally carry at 4 o'clock as well. This works well with both my IWB & OWB holsters. My two primary holsters are:

IWB: Disantis Cozy Partner
    OWB: Bianchi Snaplok #84

So far, I find this position the most comfortable. Once in a while I experiment with different positions. I wind up going back to the 4 o'clock position when all is said & done.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links