Drawing from a Smartcarry w/ untucked shirt

This is a discussion on Drawing from a Smartcarry w/ untucked shirt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tried out my new Smart carry last nite and was a little hard to draw with an untck t-shirt. Your support hand has to do ...

Tried out my new Smart carry last nite and was a little hard to draw with an untck t-shirt. Your support hand has to do two things, 1st lift the shirt then pull the waistband for the strong hand to start the draw. Couple of times my strong hand got more shirt than grip. Problem is don't want to tuck while wearing very light shorts, think would look silly.

You may not have to pull the waistband out to draw - I can suck in my gut and get my shooting hand into my waistband without pulling it forward if I need to. If you wish to go untucked, you may want to try this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have a Smart Carry (Thunderwear) rig. I don't use it often. I prefer a modified, crossdraw bellyband rig around the waist OUTSIDE my trousers, just above my beltline, underneath an untucked shirt. Or, more often, a front pocket holster for one of my mouse guns.

But, when I'm carrying the heavier calibers and I do choose the Thunderwear instead of the bellyband it too is almost always worn OUTSIDE the trousers under an untucked shirt, with the pouch falling about 10:30 oclock, waist high. That allows a fast, clean draw. Simply lift the shirt with the weak hand while cross drawing with the right hand. Try it you might like it.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet1 View Post
    But, when I'm carrying the heavier calibers and I do choose the Thunderwear instead of the bellyband it too is almost always worn OUTSIDE the trousers under an untucked shirt, with the pouch falling about 10:30 oclock, waist high. That allows a fast, clean draw. Simply lift the shirt with the weak hand while cross drawing with the right hand. Try it you might like it.
    I would not recommend this way of using a Smartcarry/Thunderwear holster. If you fall down, it is very possible for the gun to come out of the holster. Worn outside the clothing provides zero retention.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

cj
    +1 on the 'suck your gut in' approach. A little sucking in and I can easily get my hand on the grip as the other hand holds the shirt up. I AM fairly thin though, so I can't say that this would work with all body types.

Here's how I do it...

While sucking in gut, grab shirt hem with strong hand fingers. Lift shirt hem way up to about nipple height. If you don't lift high enough you'll grab shirt instead if gun.

Hook weak hand thumb under waist band and pull outward. Your weak hand arm holds the shirt in place.

Slip strong arm hand under waistband and grip gun.

For two-handed grip, as gun comes out move weak hand to position around strong hand.

The strong hand actually does two things. Sort of like if you are wearing a jacket or vest with a belt holster - the strong hand sweeps the cover garment then grabs then gun. With SmartCarry the strong hand lifts the cover garment then grabs the gun.

The weak hand thumb pull allows easier access and at the same time the arm holds the shirt up.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I don't think that the Smartcarry holster was designed to be worn with an un tucked shirt, Why don't you call up Charlie at smartcarry & ask his advice on it as I have never read any reviews on an untucked shirt mentioned I may be wrong & I never tried wearing mine un tucked, never thought about trying it either but who knows.

I wear a smart carry holster at least 5 days a week. I don't think that SC was meant for carry with a untucked shirt. That would require you to do the following to draw your firearm from the SC holster:

(1) Pull the untucked shirt up
    (2) Pull the pants waistline to access your firearm
    (3) Reach into your waistband & draw your firearm

As a wearer of SC this would take too long. When seconds count, this makes SC not the right choice for CC.

You should be looking for an alternative. Going from a 2-step draw to a 3-step draw isn't practical under the circumstances. IMHO you should be looking at an alternative carry option.

Based on the type of firearm you carry the added step of pulling up your untucked shirt makes SC not the wisest method of CC as well. When seconds count, that one added step makes SC not too practical.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Links