Desantis Scabbard vs. Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. vs. Don Hume H721 Double 9

This is a discussion on Desantis Scabbard vs. Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. vs. Don Hume H721 Double 9 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a good pancake-style holster with thumb break. I've narrowed my decision to the following in ascending order of my current preference: Desantis Scabbard: ...

Thread: Desantis Scabbard vs. Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. vs. Don Hume H721 Double 9

Desantis Scabbard vs. Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. vs. Don Hume H721 Double 9

Looking for a good pancake-style holster with thumb break. I've narrowed my decision to the following in ascending order of my current preference:

Desantis Scabbard: available for my PPK/S (.380 stainless) and P99c AS (9mm tenifer) but not for my XD Tactical (.45, five-inch barrel, stainless)

Galco F.L.E.T.C.H: same availability as above

Don Hume: PPK/S, P99c AS, and XD Tactical all available.

My preferential carry is the P99c, followed by the PPK/S when I need something a tad smaller/thinner, so carrying the XD is of secondary import and thus not a deal breaker, and besides I have a good Serpa paddle holster for that one.

Please give me your pros and cons on these three options. And, no, I'm not really interested it looking at the more esoteric, limited production stuff. Don't want the wait and I'm not really thrilled with the expense unless you can show me a good, solid reason for paying the extra amount.

Thank you in advance for your input. Much appreciated.
    Walther P22 5-inch Target in .22 LR
    Interarms Walther PPK/s in .380 ACP
    Walther P99c AS in 9mm Parabellum
    Springfield Armory XD 5-inch Tactical in .45 ACP

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2. Remove Ads

I think you'd be well suited with any of the above holsters.

As for a custom holster? I too was very hesitant to take that leap. All I will say, you have to have one in order to truly appreciate what the difference in quality, weapon security and comfort really is.

I have only one custom holster. Brommeland Max Con V. It is by far, the best holster I own. I will be getting other custom holsters in the future as well.

I still use production holsters and they are fine. Some definitely better than others. But if you ask whether a custom holster is worth the money and the wait. I'll say YES, Absolutely!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Very satisfied with my Hume H721 OT for my Glock 27.
    Proud NRA member

Desantis-No idea.

F.L.E.T.C.H.-Mine is very attractive, but it went soft and didn't seem to hold up to everyday use. Mine will collapse when pistol removed.

Double Nine-This one was the winner for me. I thought since it was such thin leather, that it wouldn't last. I've worn it 5 days a week for almost 2 years now, still has firm, hard shell and pistol can be re-holstered easy. Nice forward cant. Since it held up so well, I've purchased two other Hume hosters (721 OT's) with the same results.

Another I've tried is the Safariland 747. It's a very high ride and held up well, but the material is very soft. It's a two hand re-holster for sure.

I'll be the first to admit I'm cheap, I mean thrifty..but do own two VM II's for IWB. I'll pay for quality, but for possible rough use on an OWB, I'm stickin with the Don Hume.

The DeSantis Scabbard is a good holster, secure enough for normal activities. The F.L.E.T.C.H. has held up well for me for many years, it is not in use everyday however.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Either the DeSantis or Galco will serve you well. I've used DeSantis years ago, and currently wear a Galco. IMO the Fletch is one of the most comfortable holsters I've ever used. A few years ago I decided I didn't want a thumb break so I switched to a Concealable. My son claimed my Fletch and uses it to this this day.

Thank you to everyone who gave me some input. I really appreciate your help in making my selection. And while I have you, any suggestions on a good yet affordable shoulder rig for a P99c AS?
    Walther P22 5-inch Target in .22 LR
    Interarms Walther PPK/s in .380 ACP
    Walther P99c AS in 9mm Parabellum
    Springfield Armory XD 5-inch Tactical in .45 ACP

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Very happy with my Don Hume 721

Links