Help needed for refinishing holster.....

This is a discussion on Help needed for refinishing holster..... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received two brand new holsters, one from UBG and the other from C5 Leather. Both were very well made and gave me an ...

Thread: Help needed for refinishing holster.....

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Help needed for refinishing holster.....

I just received two brand new holsters, one from UBG and the other from C5 Leather. Both were very well made and gave me an idea (first mistake).
    I have an older holster that's very servicable but badly in need of a dye job. After some research, I purchased some Deglaser, Lincoln shoe dye and Eco-Flo sealer. I stripped off the remainder of the old finish with the Deglaser, applied two coats of the dye (as per the instructions) then applied the sealent. I waited 24 hours and then using a shoe brush, buffed the holster. It looked really nice, but when I buffed it with a soft cloth, the dye kept coming off onto the cloth. After handling the holster, I had traces of the dye all over my hands. Anyone, especially you holster makes, have any ideas or suggestions?
    Last edited by automatic slim; September 21st, 2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: error
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2. Remove Ads

Generally you dye and let dry. Then buff the leather and put on the acrylic top coat on the areas you dyed.

Gloves and buffing are in order. Once dried then top coat. Hope that helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Generally you dye and let dry. Then buff the leather and put on the acrylic top coat on the areas you dyed.

Gloves and buffing are in order. Once dried then top coat. Hope that helps.
    What he said.

Also, if the holster has absorbed a lot of gun oil over the years and the leather has become well oiled it may not take the new dye very well. You may have been better off just using some Kiwi shoe polish.

I always liked the look of worn leather, it's sorta like a badge of honor.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Thanks guys.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Just a thought.... I've never personally refinished a holster, but I'll bet saddle soap would help to remove old oil and other residues. It's made for stripping old polish from shoes and boots so it would probably work well on a holster.

Plus, it's nice and cheap.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    How much dye did you use? MNBurl was on the money; dye the holster and let it dry, then buff it until there is no more dye transfer. Then seal it wit a good acrylic and let it air dry.

If you are just trying to touch up an older holster, try applying some Kiwi neutral polish, Propert's Leather Balm or Melatonian Boot Cream and buffing it out with an old T-shirt, but use it sparingly.

You don't want to use saddle soap on a boned holster; too much will soften the holster enough to kill its retention.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fallguy View Post
    You don't want to use saddle soap on a boned holster; too much will soften the holster enough to kill its retention.
    Thanks for the tip.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I bought my dye from a shoemaker shop for about $5.00 a nice size bottle with the cotton applicator in it, & I re dyed my new Galco Summer compfort holster's straps, black to blend in when carring with my black belt, so it does not scream Gun,I applied only one coat of the shoe dye & let it dry overnight, & the next day , I could of handled it & it was compleatly dry none of the dye, came off on my hands or anything the dye was terriffic, after it dryed I applied a Nutural shoe wax all over the holster & buffed it dry, a great dye job I even suprised myself, so find a shoemaker & get their dye that they are using in their shop, you will like the outcome.

Links