Milt Sparks Holster

Milt Sparks Holster

This is a discussion on Milt Sparks Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Milt Sparks PCH-RI pocket holster for my S&W 340 M&P has finally arrived. It seems to be a very well made leather holster and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milt Sparks Holster

Milt Sparks Holster

My Milt Sparks PCH-RI pocket holster for my S&W 340 M&P has finally arrived. It seems to be a very well made leather holster and I was very eager to try it out. Very quickly I came across a issue, the fit between the 340 and the holster is very tight making it almost impossible to draw. I end up pulling both the revolver and the holster out at the same time.

Does anyone know how to loosen it up the holster so I can draw only the revolver? Or did I blow $80?

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

JD
    Administrator
    From the Milt Sparks website:

My holster is too tight! What's the best way to break it in?

Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 50 presentations should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in sufficiently on its own or if maybe a little blocking out of the leather is in order. There are many variables as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your guns finish, to slight changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made. Regardless of the reason, a too tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user with a method we have been recommending to customers for over 20 years.

To block out (stretch) your new holster first UNLOAD your pistol or revolver and place the gun into the 4 mil plastic bag that your new holster was packaged in. Then carefully insert the bagged gun all the way into the holster (do not! I repeat, do not!! wet or spray the holster with any solution to aid in the stretching process). The blocking out process as described above will in no way harm the crisp detailed molding of your new holster, nor will it ruin its retention qualities. It serves simply to stretch the leather a few thousands of an inch larger than the gun. The amount of stretching time needed for satisfactory results range from a just a few minutes to overnight. Any clarifications or concerns on the above, or if you would rather we talk you through the process, then please call us.

It is impossible (IMHO) to buy a Milt Sparks holster...and then decide it wasn't money well spent. It's shrinking a holster that's a challenge. Your complete happiness is only a few thousands of an inch away!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    The first thing to do is wrap your gun in several layers of Waxed paper and keep the firearm inserted in the holster for a few days.

Another thing to do would be to repeatedly draw and reholster your firearm.

Also...I think that model of Sparks holster has a wire insert that you can bend to better adjust it to your individual firearm.

Did you get those instructions with your holster?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Thanks for the info. Damn, I threw the bag out already. I wish they would of sent those instructions + maybe some care instructions with the holster, but at least now I know what i can do.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    It is impossible (IMHO) to buy a Milt Sparks holster...and then decide it wasn't money well spent. It's shrinking a holster that's a challenge. Your complete happiness is only a few thousands of an inch away!
    Well said.

The ziplock trick works great. I did it with my Black Ops holster and my gun goes in and out like butter.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The first thing to do is wrap your gun in several layers of Waxed paper and keep the firearm inserted in the holster for a few days.

Another thing to do would be to repeatedly draw and reholster your firearm.

Also...I think that model of Sparks holster has a wire insert that you can bend to better adjust it to your individual firearm.

Did you get those instructions with your holster?
    Nope, no instructions of any kind. The holster came in a plastic bag that was placed in a box, nothing else was with it.

Nope, no instructions of any kind. The holster came in a plastic bag that was placed in a box, nothing else was with it.
    That's a factory Quality Control mistake or someone bought & returned the holster without it...unless, some unscrupluous, Third-World low-life is cloning Milt's holsters like counterfeit Rolex watches!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

That's a factory Quality Control mistake or someone bought & returned the holster without it...unless, some unscrupluous, Third-World low-life is cloning Milt's holsters like counterfeit Rolex watches!
    Probably just got missed at the factory. I called the number on the Milt Sparks website to place the order so I don't think it is a clone.

Call the same number & they'll mail you one...post-haste, maybe with a "We're Sorry" freebie of some sort.

Hopefully not the case, but THIS is a clone:

Brigade Order Status Page
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Well, imitation IS the highest form of flattery. (and also the best way to jump-start a holster business )

Administrator

From The Sparks WebSite

New for "2000" is our improved version of our model PCH-R. Now called the PCH-RI, the improved version retains all the desirable features of the original, but now provides complete leather coverage of the gun.

The design of the PCH-RI positions the revolver back towards the centerline of the pocket allowing a forward to rear, thin edge to thin edge profile on the holster. The unformed outer shell obscures details of the weapon that's carried within. The holster's shape and size, combined with rough side out construction on the inner shell, assure that the holster remains within the pocket while you're drawing your weapon.
    Perhaps the most unique feature of this holster is our use of a malleable wire insert, which we laminate into the perimeter of the holster. This allows the user to shape and mold the outer edge as needed to achieve optimal concealment, and an individual custom fit. Instructions are included with each holster.

Designed around the hammer-less S&W 2" J frame it is also available for the 2" D framed Colts (Detective spec.) or 2" Ruger SP-101. For pocket carry the bobbed hammer / DAO or shrouded hammer versions of these guns are highly recommended.

Model: PCH-RI, Price $80
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Hopefully not the case, but THIS is a clone:

Brigade Order Status Page
    Are these holsters junk? The site looks nice and I didn't see any Milt Sparks references but I could've missed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links