Belt Width-New belt needed??

Belt Width-New belt needed??

This is a discussion on Belt Width-New belt needed?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of getting my CCW & most holster makers list 1 1/2 inches as the minimum recommended belt width for carrying ...

Thread: Belt Width-New belt needed??

Question Belt Width-New belt needed??

I am in the process of getting my CCW & most holster makers list 1 1/2 inches as the minimum recommended belt width for carrying CCW. I have a white collar job & wear suit/tie 5 days a week. The belt I have worn FOREVER is pretty sturdy (I guess) but it is 1 1/8 inch wide. I am NOT sure whether a 1 1/2 inch belt will fit in the loops of my suit pants. (At best it will be a VERY tight fit). I plan on carrying either a full size 1911 Kimber Target OR a Glock 19 in a CTAC IWB. Do I NEED to buy a new wider belt?? Do I need to buy a thicker (special design??) 1 1/8 inch wide to carry with?? Thanks, Bill.

1952 - 2006
    I would recommend a 1 1/4" belt at a minimum.

The belt will make all the difference in how stable your carry gun is.

I would talk to Gary or Sam Andrews and have a belt made for you to carry with. Either one of them will make you a nice dress belt for your CCW holster.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I agree with acparmed. You definitely do not want anything smaller than a 1 1/4". That size should fit your suit pants ok. Especially if you're planning to carry a full size gun. I use a C.T.A.C. holster and it does a good job of distributing the weight.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I would recommend a 1 1/4" belt at a minimum.

The belt will make all the difference in how stable your carry gun is.

I would talk to Gary or Sam Andrews and have a belt made for you to carry with. Either one of them will make you a nice dress belt for your CCW holster.
    Could you give me their website?? thanks, Bill.

Agree with all of the above. 1-1/4" should fit slacks fine and there's the option to get a tapered belt as well. A true gun belt is built for a very specific purpose and it's the foundation of a stable and comfortable carry rig, that gets more and more important as the weight of your carry weapon increases from a "mouse gun" to a fullsize steel weapon like a 1911. It's hard to understand how much of a difference it makes until you try the real thing. Whether or not I'm "packing" I'm wearing my Milt Sparks gun belt - currently waiting on two more belts, one each from Eric Larsen (brown) and Gary Brommeland (black Combat Dress Belt).

Contact any of the holster makers on this sight and they'll work with you to make sure you get exactly what you need for your situation. It's money well spent.
    Jack

Try these:
    http://www.brommelandgunleather.com (Gary)
    http://www.kdholsters.com (Kevin)
    http://www.hbeleatherworks.com (Eric)
    http://www.delfatti.com (Matt Del Fatti)
    Sorry, don't have a link to Andrews.

Howdy!

An inch and a quarter belt is adequate, so long as it is properly designed and made.
    As with many things, CCW is not difficult, so long as you know how. If you'd care to call my shop, I would be more than happy to discuss your personal situation and offer any technical advise or support that you may require. (423.733.1779) (Be advised that I'll be out of the shop most of tomorrow - please call me on or after Tuesday and I'll be glad to help. Thanks!)

1952 - 2006
    Here is the link to Sam Andrews. I have several of his holsters and belts.

www.andrewsleather.com

Any of the above posted sites will also give you a great belt.

Good luck with your search.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i wear business attire daily and I use a 1.5 inch belt. It fits into my dress slacks and my khaki dockers, whichever I am wearing. That extra thickness really makes a difference IMO.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Links