Holsters for the hammerless?

This is a discussion on Holsters for the hammerless? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an SP-101 2 1/4" w/concealed hammer. I'm interested in getting one or more holsters for concealed carry (I currently have a SmartCarry, which ...

Thread: Holsters for the hammerless?

Holsters for the hammerless?

I have an SP-101 2 1/4" w/concealed hammer. I'm interested in getting one or more holsters for concealed carry (I currently have a SmartCarry, which is fine for deep concealment). I'd really like something the clips on/off my belt quickly so I don't have t get 1/2 undressed to add/remove the holster. Also, I'm a big guy, so that limits what's comfortable for me. Any holster recommendations that might work well for me?

As I look as holster ads, some specify the need for a hammer for the holster to work properly. That makes me worry that I could buy a holster that's unsafe with my model. What distinguishes a holster that's OK for a hammerless gun vs a hammered model?

2. Remove Ads

For an open top holster there is no difference.

I have a Double Clip and Double Snap RH in Black 15 deg cant and 1.5" belt for the Snap.

Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holsters
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by TDub View Post
    I have an SP-101 2 1/4" w/concealed hammer. I'm interested in getting one or more holsters for concealed carry (I currently have a SmartCarry, which is fine for deep concealment). I'd really like something the clips on/off my belt quickly so I don't have t get 1/2 undressed to add/remove the holster. Also, I'm a big guy, so that limits what's comfortable for me. Any holster recommendations that might work well for me?

As I look as holster ads, some specify the need for a hammer for the holster to work properly. That makes me worry that I could buy a holster that's unsafe with my model. What distinguishes a holster that's OK for a hammerless gun vs a hammered model?
    Nothing...IMHO...the hammer has nothing to do with the effectiveness, reliability, or comfort of any holster.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It would only matter if you were looking for something with a thumb break type retention device that engaged the back of the hammer while holstered. With open top you should have no problems, and they make other retention devices for hammer-less guns.

I like the SimplyRugged (Leather Gun Holster, Concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged, Proudly made in Alaska) pancake holsters with the inside-out straps. Great holster for IWB or OWB carry. The straps allow you to remove the holster from IWB without having to undress. I have three of Rob's holsters (and about to purchase another). They are top-notch. I have even been carrying my 3" 629 IWB with one of them.

A thumb break for a hammerless model generally uses the trigger guard instead of the hammer to keep the gun in place.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.

George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by TDub View Post

This is my 2-1/4" Ruger SP101 in a 2 0'Clock Carry by Comp-Tac. Easy on the belt, easy off, and secure when in place.

I'm also a big guy and this combo works well for me.

Note that the hammer and the holster don't even come close to touching each other. This will be the case in any well made holster.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

fm2
    Comp tac makes some good gear!

Links