Cross draw carry?

This is a discussion on Cross draw carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here carry in the cross draw position and if so does its conceal very well? I remember reading a thread(I think it was on ...

Thread: Cross draw carry?

Cross draw carry?

Anyone here carry in the cross draw position and if so does its conceal very well? I remember reading a thread(I think it was on here IIRC) and the poster had pics of him concealing a 5" 1911 in this fashion. so this got me thinking if maybe this would be a good option for a small,light weight weapon like my S&W 340 M&P. FWIW its worth I'm strongly leaning towards Ken Null's vampire cross draw holster,thanks for any help.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I'm interested in hearing responses. I carry cross draw in the field but not CC. I'll standby for comments.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Many know my appreciation for Fist holsters.
    Here is what I just purchased from Fist...
    FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I do not carry cross draw even though it is a LOT more comfortable when driving. I actually had a pretty interesting conversation about crossdraw with Rocky from Pure Kustoms. The point he made was basically that it is a lot easier for a attacker to notice and draw your weapon if he gets to you before you have time to draw. Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Anyone here carry in the cross draw position and if so does its conceal very well? I remember reading a thread(I think it was on here IIRC) and the poster had pics of him concealing a 5" 1911 in this fashion. so this got me thinking if maybe this would be a good option for a small,light weight weapon like my S&W 340 M&P. FWIW its worth I'm strongly leaning towards Ken Null's vampire cross draw holster,thanks for any help.
    YES, they conceal very well. I have an Active Pro Gear Fabric Driving Holster for my S&W snubby, and, no-one can tell that I'm packing, even when I tell them. I wear mine under any loose fitting T-shirt, like I said, totally undetectable. The Null Vam (vampire) crossdraw quality is top of the line, I plan on having mine real soon.

I carry my G27 cross draw on occasion in a Mitch Rosen 'upper limit' straight drop holster OWB under cover. It works very well for me and I'm right handed. I can actually draw well from this position with my weak (left) hand as well, and practiced it many times. As far as a dedicated (canted like the counter car-jacking rig) cross draw holster...I don't have one.

I plan on trying it this winter. I've been appendix carrying IWB with a MTAC but want to try crossdraw OWB and have a couple holsters to try - DM Bullard Crossdraw and Blackhawk slide with mag pouch. I may even try my Blackhawk Serpa but I know it does not hold close to my body. I have not found an OWB with the cant I really want that also holds close.

As far as a bad guy getting a hold of it, I have heard that but I also think that I am in a better position to protect it than if I had it at 4:00-5:00 like may do.
    NRA Life Member

This is the crossdraw driving holster (fabric) and an example of how easy it is to conceal under a T-SHIRT.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    That other crossdraw thread is not only informative, but has been active in the last few days, and members have gone to some amount of trouble posting excellent photos. I found it right away with the search feature, and bumped it to the top.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Had a bit of trouble earlier copying and pasting, but I think I got it this time:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...advantage.html

The Active Pro crossdraw (fabric) as shown in post #8 is an excellent holster for the price, however, the Null Vam (vampire) is very high quality leather and will position even closer to the body and conceal even better. Whether sitting or standing, this horizontal position is comfortable. The printing problems that I've experienced with holsters has always been with the grips, regardless of cant or position on the body. Not so with the crossdraw driving holster because the butt or grips are close to the body, and positioned downward. Living in Arizona, I may wear a jacket two or three times a year, 99% of the time it's a T-shirt or polo, therefor the Active Pro, or the Null Vam which will be in my collection soon, is perfect all year around. These are available for auto pistols too.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I sometimes carry an MK9 in a Tucker crossdraw, and my S&W 638 snub often gets carried in a crossdraw holster from Bullard leather.

It's a pretty popular method of carry for those who drive often. Personally I'm not fond of it, but that's because the draw motion is not as fast.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    It's a pretty popular method of carry for those who drive often. Personally I'm not fond of it, but that's because the draw motion is not as fast.
    My preference for the crossdraw holster, especially the "driving" crossdraw holster has nothing to do with driving. I don't drive often. For myself, it's the perfect all year round holster for comfort, and easiest to conceal with my style of dress. And in my experience, the draw is faster than any other belt carry out there, even with a retention strap. The Null Vam is very reliable for retention without any straps, one of the very few. I ordered mine today. Like they say, different strokes for different folks. Works for me.

Links