Milt Sparks IWB Comparison

This is a discussion on Milt Sparks IWB Comparison within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering getting another Milt Sparks for my G19/23. I have a VM II for my 27. I am considering getting either another VMII, a ...

Thread: Milt Sparks IWB Comparison

I'm considering getting another Milt Sparks for my G19/23. I have a VM II for my 27.

I am considering getting either another VMII, a Watch Six or an HR-LTD.

Can anyone give me some comparisons as far as thickness and comfort. I'm pretty sure that the HR-LTD is thinner than the VM II as the metal mouth is sewn inside the holster as opposed to the VM II.

I was trying to get through to Milt Sparks on the phone today for a very long time. I guess that they are taking a lot of calls.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I'm considering getting another Milt Sparks for my G19/23. I have a VM II for my 27.

I am considering getting either another VMII, a Watch Six or an HR-LTD.

Can anyone give me some comparisons as far as thickness and comfort. I'm pretty sure that the HR-LTD is thinner than the VM II as the metal mouth is sewn inside the holster as opposed to the VM II.

I was trying to get through to Milt Sparks on the phone today for a very long time. I guess that they are taking a lot of calls.
    With the various Milt Sparks products I have, I'll take a stab at answering your question.

The VM II rides higher than the Watch Six. Also, the VM II has a reinforced mouthband, while the WS doesn't. Both attatch to the belt fore and aft of the gun. I have found the WS to be very comfortable due to not having a reinforced mouthband, but not the holster to use if one is going to be drawing and reholstering a lot, IMO.

The HRLTD has a single point of attatchment, like the Summer Special and Summer Special II, from what I can tell. I don't own one however. I do own a few Summer Special II's though, as I love that holster. It appears to be suited for wet environments, humidity or sweat.

If I didn't have such a short torso I'd probably love the VM II. As it is, all of their holsters are comfortable, but I'd have to give the nod to the WS. Bear in mind, I haven't used a VM II due to how high the gun rides and my physical size.

Here's what the Milt Sparks FAQ Page had to say:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the difference between your various IWB holsters?
    In terms of best concealment, no one single model works any better then the others providing proper care is taken in the selection of the cover garment. Each model in our line offers something the others do not. Below is a brief description of the unique features of the different models.

The EX and VM-2 holsters because of their wider footprint, spread the bulk of the gun out over a larger area lending themselves better to comfort. The VM-2 also has the added versatility of allowing one to tuck their shirt in over the top of the holstered gun, and it is the only IWB holster in our line that will allow you to do so.

The #1H has a waterproof lining on the body side of the holster making it a good choice in a hot humid environment, or for anyone that perspires alot. The #1H and HRLTD also have a smooth finish inside the holster as well as out. The #1H is very similar in feel to the SS-2 sans the rough out finish.

The Summer Special and Summer Special 2 differ in that the SS-2 seats the gun deeper in the waistband then the S/S, and also features a shirtguard extension along with our interchangeable belt loop system.

Our highest riding Summer Special positions the gun about 1" higher in the waistband than our lowest riding IWB holsters, the models #1H, EX and SS-2. The VM-2 holster, depending on the model of gun it is made for, positions the gun somewhere in between the above.
    I hope that helps. Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; September 25th, 2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: clarifying info

I agree with Biker's review of these holsters.

Personally, I'd recommend the Watch Six...I find it more comfy and certainly thinner than the VMII. The Watch Six is also an excellent value when you consider price.

However, if you need to disarm/rearm during your carry time, the Watch Six is not easy to reholster and in that event I'd say go VMII.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I spoke w/ a rep from Milt Sparks today. Apparently the HR-LTD is only made for 1911s. So that one is out of the mix. As stated, I already have a VM II. The rep from Milt Sparks stated that on hot days, holstering w/ one hand may be difficult.

Maybe I'll consider a Canute from UBG also. I believe his wait time is shorter.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

TT Gunleather is an option as well.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

The HR-LTD is actually a newer holster w/ split belt loop design...

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    The HR-LTD is actually a newer holster w/ split belt loop design...

Yeah. It is only made for 1911s. I was looking at Pure Kustom holsters too. They seem to get good reviews. Does anyone know his current delivery estimate?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    TT Gunleather is an option as well.
    +1 on Tim at TT. HBE also makes a fine IWB with Erics COM III (my all time favorite). Can't go wrong with any of them.

I personally like a reinforced mouth as I practice drawing my carry weapon on a regular basis. Without it it's a big time pain in the butt to reholster. A 1/2 second delay could get you shot or killed if you don't practice getting that pistol into service. JMO.

Excellent write up by Biker.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Links