holster for a suit...no jacket worn

This is a discussion on holster for a suit...no jacket worn within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to CCW and I have the same situation as yours. I wear my suit coat to and from the office and occassionally ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: holster for a suit...no jacket worn

I am new to CCW and I have the same situation as yours. I wear my suit coat to and from the office and occassionally during in and out of the office meetings. However, at my desk I do not have the coat on. I do not like the way the IWB holster makes my suits look and I have not had any suits tailored to fit the IWB holster as has been suggested in other posts.

I tried the Smartcarry and it did not work for me.

I also have the deep concealment shoulder holster which I love. The downside is the time to draw. I am planning on getting some false buttons put on my shirts so that the button is replaced with a snap or velcro to expedite the draw should the need arise.

Another option will be to use a paddle holster that is removed and put in my desk during working hours. Based on my office set up, I think this is a workable solution.

2. Remove Ads

Suit and tie guy here.

Pocket carried for a few years. Problem is that suit pants pockets can be shallow, and with no coat on, someone behind you can see your gun. Almost impossible to draw with you support hand. Takes up a pocket, so what to do with all the other stuff? Limits you to a small gun, and small guns can be unreliable.

Tried the holster t-shirt, which puts the gun under the arm, like the holster previously suggested. I consider that more of a way of transporting a gun, and not a true holster - draw is very, very slow. Try it one handed - almost impossible. Got made by a family friend (hug) - would have been a disaster had it happened at work!

Ankle holster? No way. You can't draw and move at the same time. Good for a BUG, not for a primary.

Tried IWB - looked like I grew a tumor. Would have required a whole new wardrobe of bigger suit pants. Too much money!

Smartcarry! Eureka! I carried my G19 and a spare mag for 18 months undetected. I now carry a G26 - slightly less of a bulge, not that anyone noticed. I wear it at 11 o'clock, with the bottom of the G26's grip centered on the pants zipper.

Draw is quick - no need to untuck or sweep any cover garments away. No need to reach around to your hip. (DO NOT listen to the naysayers who have never used it!) Very comfortable - when you sit, the pistol lays on your left thigh. Wear pleated suit pants, especially in darker colors, and no one will detect anything.

You can draw one handed - even with your support hand (turn it palm out and draw). Important if one hand is injured or involved in a struggle.

Bonus - carries a spare mag, and has its own belt - so won't drag your pants down. No worries dropping your gun in the toilet, either.

You get the idea - try it out. Charlie will refund your money if you don't like it (minus shipping).

More on my holster journey -

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...y-methods.html

Good luck - hope this helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I wore my Deep Concealment shoulder holster today, the same one Bark'n mentioned. It worked great.

I used a pocket holster today. I carried a S&W 6906, roughly the same size as your Glock, but it only works if your pockets are big and deep.

I wore my SmartCarry today. It works well for me.

I have used all of these methods without a jacket or good cover shirt. It depends on how one dresses otherwise, and the environment used in, to determine if any of these will work for you.

I have to add this disclaimer to the Deep Concealment shoulder holster: it wouldn't keep the mags for my XD-45 compact in place. The mags would fall out when I bent over because they were top heavy. But it has worked for every other mag I use.

If mag retention ever becomes an issue (I don't expect it for your Glock), then I'd move to the Truss shoulder holster, but it's not as thin as the Deep Concealment. The Deep Concealment is less likely to be noticed if someone places their hand on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    I'm 31...5,8 and roughly 185. I think I'm in decent shape
    No worries then, Go Smart Carry.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I've used the deep concealment shoulder holster in the past with great results. It worked so well I was showing off to my father and he kept it lol.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

EAJ
    Hello Folks,

For those of you who are fans of the "Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster", how well does in conceal when wearing a standard white dress shirt (with T-shirt underneath)? Thank you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    +1 on the Crossbreed Supertuck.

Bark'n, thanks for the write-up on the shoulder rig, I have wondered if those work in real life. May have to try one.
    I also have the Deep Concealment rig and it does work. I am very hot natured, so I do know I am wearing it. My only suggestion is take care with what type of shirt you wear it with, I have had the Velcro (hook portion) snag on a couple of my nicer shirts, but your standard cotton dress shirts should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by EAJ View Post
    Hello Folks,

For those of you who are fans of the "Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster", how well does in conceal when wearing a standard white dress shirt (with T-shirt underneath)? Thank you. :)
    I have had no issues, and I have a S&W Sigma and the black handle doesn't show much, but since it is under my arm it is not very noticeable, especially if you move around a lot like I do (I HATE sitting still).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    That said, what is an option for not printing wearing the above mentioned, again with no jacket?
    I wore my SIG P239 in an MTAC with a suit Saturday night at my aunt & uncle's 50th anniversary party. I took the jacket off for some energetic swing dancing, and nary a print to be found.

I have V-clips for the MTAC, but I don't care for them. Regular old standard clips are just fine; if you blouse your tucked-in dress shirt even a bit, they will never be seen.

Good luck!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Bark'n, thanks for the write-up on the shoulder rig,

Looks comfortable and secure but how does one get to the gun quickly when wearing a button down dress shirt? A great looking set up. Perhaps it is better suited for different type clothing.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

NRA CERTIFIED RIFLE & PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
    PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by uziman2k View Post
    Looks comfortable and secure but how does one get to the gun quickly when wearing a button down dress shirt? A great looking set up. Perhaps it is better suited for different type clothing.
    Check out the Master of Concealment site. There is a video of their T-Shirt, which would be the same draw method as the Deep Concealment rig.

EDIT: Um, I just rewatched the video, it is a new one from what I remember. Take care if you are at work as it can be thought of as a little something different than your intentions of watching it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by EAJ View Post
    Hello Folks,

A thicker shirt is obviously better than thinner. If you can see your skin or nips through the shirt with no undershirt, the holster may show in places.

Looser is better also.

A gun with a small grip is better, although not required, especially if you have a loose shirt made of thicker material.

Basically, it depends on the shirt and gun. Several variables, so it's not a straight "good concealment" or "not good concealment" answer.

Looks comfortable and secure but how does one get to the gun quickly when wearing a button down dress shirt?
    Options are:
    1. Rip a button or two out during your draw. Not recommended unless it's going down in front of you and you're out of options.
    2. Sew a couple buttons to the outer shirt flap, and sew a couple small patches of velcro on each shirt flap where the buttons were, and also to the underside of the outer flap. Takes a lot of sewing for each shirt.
    3. Unbutton a couple buttons. Time-consuming, but it beats not having a gun when you need it.

A great looking set up. Perhaps it is better suited for different type clothing.
    It does work better with other clothing options, but it certainly beats not having a gun, or having to make a trip back to the vehicle if a gun is needed.

If I were wearing a suit and tie, or perhaps only a shirt and tie, I might leave one button unbuttoned. If I was standing a lot and not twisting or getting up and down, leaving two buttons unbuttoned underneath a tie might go unnoticed. I don't know, I haven't tried that, but it might be doable.

I haven't had to search for another method while wearing a shirt and tie with no jacket because my SmartCarry works so well for me. But I think the Deep Concealment would work. I may try it the next time I wear a shirt and tie just to see how it works.

+1 for the deep concealment holster. I carry my Glock 36 in one every day during the week.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

EAJ
    Thanks guys; I think I'm going to give the deep concealment holster a try. :)

I had a 'Concealment T' undershirt. I liked the concept, but it wasn't strong enough to support the weight of my 1911. My XDsc printed to badly, the handle stuck out in front to far. I gave the shirt to my little brother, he likes it for his Makarov.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Check out the Master of Concealment site. There is a video of their T-Shirt, which would be the same draw method as the Deep Concealment rig.

EDIT: Um, I just rewatched the video, it is a new one from what I remember. Take care if you are at work as it can be thought of as a little something different than your intentions of watching it.
    That was NOT the best video from a sales/marketing point of view. The model was very nice in the eye-candy department, but the gun was OBVIOUS!

I could spot that gun's grip right away. Her uber tight shirt wasn't helping her conceal it (neither were her attention grabbing...umm...well...yeah...).

Wow.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links