A comfortable IWB holster for a fat guy

This is a discussion on A comfortable IWB holster for a fat guy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all. I had been pocket carrying a G27 for a while at my place of business in Georgia while deciding the best way to ...

Thread: A comfortable IWB holster for a fat guy

Greetings all. I had been pocket carrying a G27 for a while at my place of business in Georgia while deciding the best way to carry concealed. Being that I am huge, 400lbs with a 60in waist, I did a LOT of research as to what would probably be the most comfortable and accessible IWB holster I could find. I finally decided on a Crossbreed Supertuck. I would like to share my experience so that if there are any other large people out there that have had difficulty finding a holster, this may give you assistance.

Despite my weight, I am still active so my time throughout the day is split between walking around my store helping customers and sitting at my work bench. Something a lot of skinny people don't realize is that when you are this fat, you expand when you sit down. This makes belts quite painful when seated so I needed to find something that would not need a tight gunbelt to support it. I have worn suspenders for years to keep my pants up. I wear them under my shirt though since they are not exactly fashionable but fortunately nobody knows they are there.

My Crossbreed Supertuck is horsehide since this is a very humid climate. So far it has held up well and my skin can breathe behind it. I did have to round off the backside edges of the entire perimeter as they felt rather sharp. This was accomplished with a little 320 grit sandpaper. Once I did this, I hardly noticed I was wearing it. I had originally hoped that the clips would hold onto my waistband enough so that I could do without the belt however this proved too saggy and I could not get a reliable draw. With the addition of a thick 62-64 size belt from Casual Male XL though, it now has enough support to stay in place. I can wear the belt loose and the suspenders take the role of supporting the weight while the belt provides a ridge for it to grab onto. I have done several hundred test draws and it is very consistant. I wear it at about 4 o'clock and it fits perfectly into the empty space of my office chair and truck seat.

One of the few benefits of this bulk is that everything falls in a way to provide perfect cover for it. It remains invisible even when twisting and turning and bending over. I spent Sunday afternoon around a bunch of cops and a superior court judge and if anyone noticed, they never said anything. I am extremely pleased with the outcome of this combination.

Side note: Currently carrying Winchester PDX1 165 GR. bonded JHP since nobody in town has any Speer Gold Dots in stock.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum! I am a big guy, not quite your size though and I find my MTAC very comfortable too. These are very close to each other in design. Glad you found something to solve your CCW problem.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Welcome aboard! I've been touting the SuperTuck ever since I bought one a little over a year ago. I have the reverse of your problem: thin with bony hips. I was worried that any IWB was going to dig in no matter where I put it, but the ST has come closer to feeling nonexistant than any other holster I ever tried.

It's nice to hear that it works for the other end of the physique spectrum as well.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm afraid to even ask what Biomortis means? Anyhow, I guess I'm about average, 5'9", 206 lbs and 36" waist. I tried the Supertuck for my Kahr 9. Wore it once and didn't like it. Just didn't feel right. I'v always worn leather, VM-II, HBE, etc, so maybe it's just a leather thing.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Welcome. I'm a big guy as well, 6'2" 325#. I recently started to carry. I tried a belly band first, but it needed a lot of adjustment during the day. I decided to get a 5-stitch Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt and an MTAC Minotaur holster based on reviews on this and another forum. This combo has worked very well for me. I too sometimes use the suspenders-under-the-shirt trick, but I haven't had to since the belt keeps the gun/holster securely on my hip.

Good luck finding the Gold Dots, that's what I carry and I'm always looking for more.
    --Nick

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Auto - Heh, I've used Biomortis online for longer than I can remember. I just like the juxtaposition of the life and death latin roots together. Anyways, I too did not care for the Supertuck when I first put it on, and was growing to hate it after wearing it a day, until I rounded off those edges. The horsehide did have a sort of cardboard feel to it but that is changing the more I wear it as it continues to break in.

I would also like to say I got my Supertuck in about a week even though I was told a much longer shipping time plus Mark communicated with me prior to my purchase regarding concerns I had with belt vs. suspenders support. Very professional all around. I will definitely order again as my collection grows.
    Last edited by Biomortis; September 29th, 2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Addition after reading "Where's my holster?" thread

In one word...SuperTuck
    Bob

Glock 30sf Ruger LCP Remington 870 HD Hi-Point 995TS Sig 556

"I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"--SGT T

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Welcome and great write-up. Supertuck is Super.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Great Write-up.
    I love my 2 Supertucks!
    MN

Welcome from Tn!!!!

I'm starting to think it's going to get really expensive to try all of the different holsters I'm hearing about!

Supertuck is good but dont wear it much. I prefer my qwikclip. I have had to replace the clip on it 3 times. I think I wear it to much. I have had it for almost 5 years.

Sponsored Links