Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a Kydex Paddle holster for a snubby

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  drlove 
#1 ·
Needing a quality paddle holster for a taurus 85. Not interested in Fobus - what are my options?

#2 ·
Not interested in Fobus? - Smart man. :biggrin2:

FIST
Go Here~~~> FIST, INC.

Addition: The FIST is leather but has a Kydex insert in the paddle.
If the reason that you don't want the Fobus is because it does not ride the gun close enough to the body then you should know that some if not most most Kydex paddle rigs will be about the same.

The G-Code Kydex paddles pull in lots tighter than Fob-ass Holsters but, they do not have a Kydex paddle for the Taurus 85.

#5 ·
I make Kydex holsters. Everything I make is hand-made

I know I'm new on this forum but am very active on the "others" under Rooftop-Special. I actually just discovered this forum and I hope to contribute as much as I can.

Here are some pictures of a paddle for a J-frame. The holes you see in the paddle are to adjust the cant. Please let me know VIA PM - if you have any other questions.

Casey

#6 ·
Casey/CarryOptions
Your above post and pics are fine since...(minus your warranty information & turn-around time) which I needed to delete from your post.

The OP asked specific questions regarding who makes Kydex paddle holsters but, be sure to answer any specific OP or member questions regarding pricing, warranty, wait times, etc. (and whatever else) VIA the DC forum Private Mail feature.

Also...be sure to go and read over our forum rules regarding non-sponsor advertising embedded in forum posts so that you're not in "sponsor conflicting" violation at some future point in time.

#9 ·
Thansk for the info. I have read the rules and sent a PM to Bumper shortly after I posted asking if everything I had in my post was OK, I assumed the PM I received from you was in response to the one I sent to him, I thought maybe he forwarded my PM to you?

Thanks for the info and the great site. I have found another site to spend too much time in :smile:

Regards,

Casey

#7 ·
Look at Blade_tech...still one of the best IMO. Also If you just want polymer but not necessarily Kydex...look at a SERPA from Blackhawk.

#8 ·
The is the BlackHawk NON-Serpa that has a paddle attachment and no trigger guard retention. It pulls in closer than Fobus.
But, the Blackhawks are not Kydex as you have stated above.

#11 ·
From Fobus Website..."Fobus is the first manufacturer of injection molded polymer holsters , with this experience Fobus is the leader in high-density space age polymer."

From the Wikipedia definition..."KYDEX is a line of thermoplastic acrylic-polyvinyl chloride alloy sheet grades. It is frequently used as an alternative to leather in the production of firearm holsters and sheaths for knives. KYDEX® Thermoplastic Sheet is a registered trademark of KYDEX, LLC and is the only manufacturer of this material." "The combination of strength properties of KYDEX® sheet places it at the highest level among thermoforming materials. Its modulus of elasticity in flexure is 330,000 psi - 50% higher than many other sheets." "KYDEX® sheet is a relatively hard thermoplastic with a hardness of 90 on the Rockwell R scale. In service, this excellent abrasion resistance is further enhanced by the grained surface of the Kydex sheets."

The Fobus is a polymer...no doubt. It is however NOT kydex. There are some very fundamental differences in both the chemical composition and overall feel of them both. The Fobus is a polymer that is injected in to a mold like Jello or cupcakes and sets up to form the holster body. Kydex comes in various thicknesses in sheets, and is formed by hand or with tools and heat.

A lot of people dont know the difference. The Fobus is a very serviceable holster for a lot of people and their application. I personally dont like them but to each their own.

#13 ·
I guess its just a matter of how one sees it. I didnt really make a statement about quality or lack there of about either. My own coworker/partner carries his SD weapon in a Fobus and is very happy. I personally dont like them, after trying them out and handling them. I prefer leather first, and true Kydex second. I am glad you like yours.

Plus after seeing this video I didnt like the generalized design and construction.
YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster

Its not the fact its a Fobus but how it is attached that looks faulty.

#14 ·
The Fobus Roto-Holster is attached to the paddle by a strong screw and receiver, making that You-Tube clip virtually impossible. The paddle is also designed in a manor that makes it just as impossible to be removed from the pants, or pants & belt, by anyone except the person wearing it. I don't know what kind of junk they used to make that You-Tube clip, but it certainly wasn't my Fobus or any Fobus I've ever come across. Kydex maybe, Fobus no way.

#16 ·
+1 I love my Blade-tech paddle...as I stated in my earlier post. I carry my G23 in it whenever I feel the need for something besides leather.

#17 ·
If you want quality, and are willing to use the hide of a deceased animal, I'd opt for a Kramer MSP Paddle Holster. They can be had in horse or cow.

My personal preference is for the horse.

Biker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.