Easiest draw?

This is a discussion on Easiest draw? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering people's opinions of the types of concealed carry & holster options that are easiest to draw from. It seems to me that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easiest draw?

Easiest draw?

I was wondering people's opinions of the types of concealed carry & holster options that are easiest to draw from.

It seems to me that a shoulder holster underneath a jacket would be the easiest, followed by an untucked waist carry - and even that would vary by position. Pocket is difficult for me to access, but I'm guessing that would depend on the pants. Ankle and under-shirt shoulder seem almost useless for a primary.

But all that is speculation on my part. I would like to hear the opinions of people with actual experience with this. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    This somewhat depends on what type of activity your are engaged in. Over all many choose strong side belt carry for good concealment, ease of draw and control of the firearm.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    An Alessi shoulder holster is very quick and easy to draw from due to the lack of a retention strap. You just grab the gun and pull and it's out.
    I think a good OWB holster (with a forward cant to the firearm) & worn just behind the strong side hip (held in place by a good stiiff gun belt) and covered with an oversize T-Shirt is quite quick and easy to draw from but, just like any other body location.
    Practice makes perfect when it comes to a quick and effortless draw.

Naturally that waist location is NOT so fantastic during Winter when a long and heavy zipped/buttoned up Winter coat is worn. I usually switch to an Alessi shoulder rig for those biting cold Winter days.

Appendix carry
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Due to some Physical limitations I had to experiment and found for me Cross Draw @ 11 oclock gave me the most concealable,comfortable and fastest draw. Speed will only come with diligent practice.Don't practice for speed,practice for a smooth perfect draw,that has no bad habits within it, the speed of your draw will naturally follow with consistency. good luck!

New, innovative ideas for carry methods come up regularly (Thunderwear, Clipdraw, etc.). There's a reason why strong-side OWB & shoulder holsters still rule the roost after 100 years. They work in the widest range of CC scenerios! Follow the LE/Military pros who bet their lives on their equipment every single day. Sounds like you're right on track .
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    It's the one you practice practice practice from!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Strong side!!

I prefer strong side like Rocky but agree with Thumper. The best is the one you are comfortable with and practice with...often.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Here's your answer...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Perfect!

I have seen people practicing the draw at ranges and notice one step most don't work on.

They stand at the ready with holstered gun, IWB, OWB, shoulder or crossdraw, strong side or weak side, and are not wearing a covering garment.

Getting to the pistol in most normal circumstances involves clearing the cover out of the way, whether it means pulling up a shirt or getting a jacket or coat away from the pistol.

Since a smooth speedy draw is a muscle memory type of action it only makes sense to work on it in the way you would normally be dressed. A fast draw is fine, but if you wind up with a handfull of fabric instead of a gun your pistol isn't going to be much good.

Work on the draw with the pistol concealed usually involves both hands yet most of the people I see, who normally carry concealed, are really practicing on the draw from an open carry start and only use the strong hand.

OMO

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I have seen people practicing the draw at ranges and notice one step most don't work on.

They stand at the ready with holstered gun, IWB, OWB, shoulder or crossdraw, strong side or weak side, and are not wearing a covering garment.

Getting to the pistol in most normal circumstances involves clearing the cover out of the way, whether it means pulling up a shirt or getting a jacket or coat away from the pistol.

Since a smooth speedy draw is a muscle memory type of action it only makes sense to work on it in the way you would normally be dressed. A fast draw is fine, but if you wind up with a handfull of fabric instead of a gun your pistol isn't going to be much good.

Work on the draw with the pistol concealed usually involves both hands yet most of the people I see, who normally carry concealed, are really practicing on the draw from an open carry start and only use the strong hand.

OMO

bosco
    You are exactly right. I have done this as well and after the last time, I decided that from now on I will wear normal type of clothing when I practice draw and fire just because of the muscle memory, etc.

I carry in front, at 1100, using a Smartcarry. Allows you to draw with either hand. No need to sweep a cover garment away, assuming a tucked shirt. In the winter, I just leave the bottom of my coat open a bit - way faster than strong side or crossdraw. Also, since the gun is in front, hand movement is minimized.

Only comparable position is appendix - and I don't want my gun pointed at my femoral artery when I sit. And no, Smartcarry does not point your gun at your "gun."

This method is a faster draw than most folks realize. And utterly concealed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Appendix carry
    You asked...."easiest draw". I'll agree with the above. How you do it makes the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links