Opinions on Thumb-break MacDaniel II??

This is a discussion on Opinions on Thumb-break MacDaniel II?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for Opinions based on personal experience with the Thumb-break MacDaniel II from Andrews Leather?? As I said before, I have never carried ...

Thread: Opinions on Thumb-break MacDaniel II??

Question Opinions on Thumb-break MacDaniel II??

I am looking for Opinions based on personal experience with the Thumb-break MacDaniel II from Andrews Leather?? As I said before, I have never carried a 1911 & before I have always used thumb-break style duty holsters, so this rig seems ideal for both that feature as well as the price.
    ALSO, I HAD decide on a CTAC until you guys were KIND enough to give me the Sam Andrews website!! Which one should I choose for white collar, 5 day a week suit & tie CCW??

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    I really like my McDaniel II that was made for my Kimber CDP Compact. Mine doesn't have the thumb-break however. I never cared for them and consider it to be unnecessary for this holster. IMO there is absolutely no way that gun can fall out of the holster, no matter what my physical activity may be. I don't think it makes a properly tuned 1911 any safer by having the thumb-break. So to me it's a superfluous option.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Thanks. One more question = Does the loop on the MacDaniel snap open, or must you thread the belt through it??

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    as a rule ( being a former small town LE ) i approve of thumbrakes , tho i have no experiance with this holster . a thumb break costs almost no time on draw and can save your a$$ i am shure andy would make it anyway you wanted it as far as the snaps on and off the belt issue goes , i would suggest one way dot snaps myself where properly applied you can snap it off , but it wont accidently release

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio Bill
    Thanks. One more question = Does the loop on the MacDaniel snap open, or must you thread the belt through it??
    Sam makes it with a one-way snap.

For $5.00 each you can also have belt loops for 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" belts. It comes with one size, so for $10.00 extra you can have all three.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    hell my bad andy andrews may well be out of business by now ( prob passed ), and its been so long since i did other than gunstore i may have mispoken too ... but that being said , any custom holstermaker and most companys will accomidate a special order

For LEO's a thumb-break is probably a good idea because there is a high probability of ending up rolling around on the ground w/ some BG.
    For general defensive carry, I would recommend against it - when drawing from under a shirt I have found them to add to the "fumble factor".
    There are also instances of them (thumb-breaks) getting caught inside the trigger guard and discharging the firearm while reholstering.

Administrator

Thumbs up Ditto: Mr. Brommeland

I think that most modern high quality holsters are molded/fit so doggone well to the applicable firearm that the thumb break is truly unnecessary for general civilian carry.
    It's just one more "thing" to get in front of a "timely" presentation of the defensive weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    Sam makes it with a one-way snap.

For $5.00 each you can also have belt loops for 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" belts. It comes with one size, so for $10.00 extra you can have all three.
    How easy is it to take on & Off?? One of the buildings in which I work will soon NOT allow CCW, so this is important. ALSO, do the mag holders use the same type of snaps?? Thanks, Bill.

Exclamation Sam Andrews Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Curio Bill
    How easy is it to take on & Off?? One of the buildings in which I work will soon NOT allow CCW, so this is important. ALSO, do the mag holders use the same type of snaps?? Thanks, Bill.
    I have an open top McDaniels II but it is VERY "easy-on/easy-off" and in my case, mine being for a 1911, it also handles my BHP very well. Perfectly, in fact. I have several thumb break holsters but tend to lean towards the open top for ease of draw and comfort. However for a LEO where CQB is a definite threat, a thumb break is probably advisable, if not a specially designed retention duty holster.When it comes to a thumb break and my good friend Sam Andrews, there is simply no faster draw for either CCW or IDPA than the IPSC Saddle holster. Check it out on his website:

http://www.andrewsleather.com
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Post I Should Add ~ The 1911

It's honestly NOT necessary BUT, some shooters do like a strip of leather between the cocked hammer & the firing pin of a 1911 style pistol.
    It's really redundant as a safety measure but, I guess if somebody wants one (for that reason) I wouldn't break their arm for wanting to buy one.

Links