How practical is the "Tuckable" feature??

How practical is the "Tuckable" feature??

This is a discussion on How practical is the "Tuckable" feature?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am still trying to decide which holster to get, so I will have one I like instead of a "Collection" in the drawer!! How ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How practical is the "Tuckable" feature??

Question How practical is the "Tuckable" feature??

I am still trying to decide which holster to get, so I will have one I like instead of a "Collection" in the drawer!! How practical is the "Tuckable" feature of a CTAC for "tucked under the shirt" wear for white collar, 5 day a week suit & tie CCW??Thanks again, Bill.

As long as you recognize the inherent limitation on your speed of access, it shouldn't be a problem. I would wear a slightly torso-large shirt to have more room to grab-n-pull; a close fitting shirt will hang up on the hip opposite the side you're trying to pull up.

I have a tuckable "hidden ally" from High Noon Holsters. I use it on occasions - only when I really have too. It works okay - just make sure you use a black belt if the clip is back and its still noticable. I use my phone and clip it right next to it to hide the clip. Better than nothing!! You might also try an ankle holster (Galco or Alessi)

Assistant Administrator
    I am just thankful I can always enjoy OWB - but do have major reservations as to the actual efficacy of tuckables.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Howdy!
    My personal belief is that the whole "tuckable" concept is a gimmick - and a potentially dangerous one at that. Why? First off, you have the inherent lack of access and really slow presentation time. You also have a greatly increased "fumble factor". Finally, it takes two hands to draw. Your other (weak) hand might just be busy fending off an attacker, or herding your wife/child behind cover - you are then faced with a decision - do you protect your spouse/kid by putting them behind cover? Or, do you protect them by drawing your firearm and engaging your opponent? You cannot be doing both at the same time, so you'll have to choose one. This is an unacceptable position to be putting yourself into in the first place.
    I know that I can come across as being really opinionated, but I am here to help people survive life and death situations, and the sad fact is that there are a lot of people designing/making/marketing holsters that really do not fully understand what they are doing, or are doing so simply as a business filling a perceived market demand. I've been doing this for well over 20 years, and I am still learning new stuff all the time. The one lesson that keeps coming back to me over and over is to honor the Israeli K.I.S.S. principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid. The more you complicate things, the greater your chance of failure. In this arena, failure ALWAYS equals tragedy.
    It is my sincere hope that tragedy can be averted for the good guys.
    I'm not sure if I just pi**ed in anyone's Cheerio's, but I'd rather have you mad at me than dead. Good luck!

I use a Fist K1 tuckable. Everything folks said here is true. Very slow to access, and a 2 handed draw is almost always required.

The advanteages is it's hidden. That's why I use it. People don't know I have a pistol. Most of my time I need to ahve a semformal outfit. I can't leave my shirt tail out.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Gary: I generally agree with you, but in saying what you said, you bascially discount other forms of CCW like bellybands, fanny packs, SmartCarry etc.

My primary holster is an IWB tuckable from TuckerGunleather. While it is true your speed is limited if you can't carry OWB it is the best thing going I feel. Like anything else, practice helps speed up the draw process. If you practice situational awareness and avoidence techniques hopefully you will have enough advance warrning to get at your gun before you are in trouble. Considering your everyday dress I don't see much in the way of options for you. Perhaps a shoulder holster.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Havegunjoe,
    A shoulder holster is even worse for access then IWB. Gary's position, and I agree, is that OWB is faster and perhaps even safer.
    Like everything each person must make a decision as to what's the best and practice....
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well, Gary makes all great points and I agree with them. While my views on the subject are very close to his, I do realize that people are people and want what they want. Deep concealment is a compromise in more regards than gun access, presentation time and so on. You want a smaller/thinner/lighter gun, less ammo and grip size is typical and so on.

There are some rules I follow for carrying a gun.

First, "have one", never bring a knife to a gun fight.
    Second, train, train and train more...if you carry tucked in, you had damn well better be good at it! Your life may depend on it!
    Third, get good stuff...weapon, leather, knife, light etc....do skimp on what counts the most......
    Forth, shoot the thing all of the time, this isnt training..you can take classes and practice draw until your arm falls off, but if you cant shoot your gun well...what is the point in having it. And so on.

Shoot well and God Bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I have one tuckable and luckily not a real expensive one i wanted to try and see if i like it all i will say is its the most uncomfortable POS to wear

Well, all else considered there are times you may just have to have a tuckable option, generally dictated by your work environment, or dress requirements driven by some special event. I have the C.T.A.C holster that most of the time I use as a standard IWB with shirt not tucked in. But every now and then I want to wear a more dressy shirt/pants combo that dictates the shirt be tucked in, and so I do. It is a pain to get the shirt tucked in, but once in place conceals well. I agree though, it does slow down your draw. You just have to keep a higher level of awareness. So for me every now and then, I suck it up and tuck it in.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Also the C.T.A.C.s have optional clips that have velcro on them. The other side of the velcro is sewn into the inside of a leather gun belt. They are supposed to be quite secure and offer the best use of the tuckable feature.

I have the CTAC tuckable, and it concealed pretty well, but I found the kydex uncomfortable, so the rest of my IWB holsters are leather, including a VMII with tuckable clips (also kydex, also painful to me).

That said, I do sometimes use them when in the summer I have to have a tucked in shirt for the offices I work in. That said, I really Prefer OWB for comfort, accessability, draw speed etc.

Hi All,

I fully realize that some folks must work in an office environment in which a cover garment is not an option. However, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". For such persons, the combination of an ankle rig and pocket holster is a VERY viable option - and significantly more "survivable" if you ever have to actually use it.
    Again, I am not trying to offend anyone - I just feel that the whole "tuckable" thing is a really bad idea. I had stated that part yesterday, but I realized after the fact that I had not offered an alternative idea to solve the problem for all you folks that must dress in "office casual" attire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links