Best OWB concealment holster

This is a discussion on Best OWB concealment holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am starting my christmas shopping (Yes, I'm on of those people that like to be finished before the season even starts :) and I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best OWB concealment holster

I am starting my christmas shopping (Yes, I'm on of those people that like to be finished before the season even starts :) and I am looking for a OWB holster for my dad. He recently bought a glock 19 after shooting mine and liking it. Number one concern here is concealment. I suggested IWB but he wont have anything to do with it. What do you folks consider to be the best holster for maxium concealment for carrying OWB?

Thanks!

I carry a Glock 22 in OWB Fobus paddle holster. It is very comfortable and conceals fine as long as you are untucked. It is also very inexpensive.

There is a crossbreed snapslide. I use it for my glock 30 and 21. For a 19 it should conceal good.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I would recommend a holster that's designed to have the belt go around the outside of the gun rather than behind it. Or at least one that can comfortably be worn that way.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Administrator
    Well, I WAS going to tell you to check with Bruce Gibson over at Gibson Gunleather because he usually has some super-nice high quality Hermann Oak holsters in stock.

He does not take orders at this time but, usually posts the rigs on his web site that he has available for immediate sale.

BOO Hoo though. I just checked for you and he is all sold out of everything.

I was thinking of this one which has a bit of nice ornamentation on it. It is gone though.

I would say TTgunleather but it won't make it by the holidays.

Does he currently carry a gun or will this be his first? How does he normally dress and what are his normal activities? These are things that I think are important. Just my $.02.

Carl

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    One of the most comfortable holsters I've ever used is the Galco Concealable. If you need a thumb strap, Galco makes the Fletch , another very similar, excellent holster.

Wow, I can't believe you're asking...
    I have just started switching from my IWB's to an OWB using my Glock-36.
    This what I am using... FIST, INC.

The holster hugs the body as well as any of my IWB's...I have been using this holster exclusively...easy reholstering, too.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I received my High Noon 'Need for speed' a few days ago and have been wearing it 2-6 hours a day.

My initial impressions.
    Carry: Pistol rides high and very tight to the body, with out digging the grip into the side (and I've got a little extra "side" to boot). It also carries "light", or distributes the weight of an all steel 1911 CCO platform beyond words. It's comfortable standing or sitting.

Craftsmanship: It's not as pretty as some custom holsters, it isn't boned (on the outside) as it's a 'rough out' design. It's not as tight as most custom holsters, by design I'm guessing. The inside is boned as nice as the outside of any other holster I own, the hard rubber? sight track clears the sight quickly. 90% of the retention on the rig is due to the tension screw, again I believe by design.

Why did I choose a "less attractive" rough out above the more popular boned? The name says it all, SPEED! A combat grip is faster to obtain than any other holster I own or have tried. Once the tension screw is set right, overall presentation is faster by far. In a couple weeks and a few range trips I'll post a more in depth combo review of my newest pistol and this holster with pics

Good luck on which ever one you decide on.

Here's a link Need For Speed
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

The holster hugs the body as well as any of my IWB's...I have been using this holster exclusively...easy reholstering, too.
    I'm waiting on a FIST 1A, thought it would come in faster than the HN
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Mitch Rosen Upper Limit holster. Nothing can touch it for OWB as far as I'm concerned. Ultra high ride and smooth!

I always carry my M&Pc, Kel-tec PF9 or Model 66-1 2.5" in one of my The Slide.

I have a number of G19s in stock.

Side Guard Holsters - OWB Holsters - The Slide
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I am starting my christmas shopping (Yes, I'm on of those people that like to be finished before the season even starts :) and I am looking for a OWB holster for my dad. He recently bought a glock 19 after shooting mine and liking it. Number one concern here is concealment. I suggested IWB but he wont have anything to do with it. What do you folks consider to be the best holster for maxium concealment for carrying OWB?

Thanks!
    A pancake with either slots or snaps will hold the holster closer to the body than other designs in my opinion.
    While a high ride holster might conceal better unless long cover garments are worn, I find the high ride holsters require my shoulder to move in a way that it does not want to move. Your dad might feel the same. Another reason for my preference for a low ride holster is that I usually wear a shirt tail outside my pants, and a high ride is slower to get the shirt to lift high enough for the draw.

My personal preference is a holster such as the Sparks I-BAK (slots) or the Axiom for snaps. I recently purchases off ebay a Rosen Express line that has snaps. It is not as well boned as his best or the Sparks, but it fits tightly and is a good holster. I paid $75 including postage. I prefer the snaps in the positions of the Rosen or the CQC/S to the Axiom's position, but the Axiom is a fine holster.

I am not sure if the Fist is low enough, but I like their revolver holsters. I want the muzzle to clear the holster at about the belt level. The Fist #12 revolver holster does that, but the SA holsters of the same model appear not to clear the holster that low. It might be that the Fist #7 DROPPED FRONT BASIC would suit me better.

I have had no problem concealing a low ride holster under a shirt.

Make sure your dad and his shoulder will do well with a high ride holster before you buy one.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I have the #12 Basic for my Colt Commander, I carry it everyday with no problems. I got the sweat guard added to mine. Its a great holster. My next gun is going to be a glock 19 and I will be getting a Fist #12 Basic for it.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links