Smartcarry, Thunderwear, etc.... Screw my head on straight!

This is a discussion on Smartcarry, Thunderwear, etc.... Screw my head on straight! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I've been seeing the Smartcarry, Thunderwear, and a few clones around for some time now. There have also been numerous threads on here about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry, Thunderwear, etc.... Screw my head on straight!

Okay, I've been seeing the Smartcarry, Thunderwear, and a few clones around for some time now. There have also been numerous threads on here about it.

So I have some questions. Yes, crude jokes are welcome as always.

Typically, how high or low does your gun ride in one of these? Are we talking about right behind the zipper? Between the legs? Elsewhere?

Are you required to wear looser-fitting pants with one, like most IWB rigs?

Are these molded to your specific gun model or are they a "this size fits many" idea, like a lot of nylon holsters?

What about printing? (this is the most likely invitation for the crude jokes) Granted, people don't generally stand around looking at your crotch, but suppose someone does? Is it well hidden or is it obvious that you have something "unnatural" there?

I thought about ordering a Smartcarry to try it out because of their return policy, but I want to do some preliminary research first.

What sayeth ya'll?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I'm one of the SmartCarry evangelists... do a search and you'll find my opinions all over the place...

Typically, how high or low does your gun ride in one of these? Are we talking about right behind the zipper? Between the legs? Elsewhere?

I wear mine outside the pants 85% of the time, covered with an untucked shirt... the positioning is low, "in front of the boys", so to speak... bottom of the holster is "dead even" with, uhhh... err... I hope you get my point...

People say all the time, "Aren't you scared you will shoot yourself in the crotch?" That can't happen... if that is possible, you are wearing it way too high.

Slightly looser... I don't like tight pants anyway, but you don't have to buy a size larger, just not tight... tight= printing. I like cotton shorts and cargo shorts, which tend to be a little loose in the crotch anyway.

Are these molded to your specific gun model or are they a "this size fits many" idea, like a lot of nylon holsters?

3 sizes, I believe... large for full-size weapons like a 1911 or my Sig 220, medium for the typical 9mm, and small for a 380 or smaller.

What about printing? (this is the most likely invitation for the crude jokes) Granted, people don't generally stand around looking at your crotch, but suppose someone does? Is it well hidden or is it obvious that you have something "unnatural" there?

Tight means you will print more... pleated Dockers slacks, cargo shorts, or even jeans are not a problem, so long as they are not tight.

I thought about ordering a Smartcarry to try it out because of their return policy, but I want to do some preliminary research first.

I think you will find that it is 50 bucks well spent... some day, you will be glad you have it. I went to the beach on the 4th of July in swim trunks, no shirt, flip flops, and a Taurus 45.

Good video here... this guy's jeans are way tighter than I wear...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

go to the website or search youtube for videos, they will help answer your questions better too.

I guess I have similar questions, SpringerXD.

I have a G30, and when I tried it, I thought the thing looked obvious as all get out. I realize that I'm looking down at it, so I am getting a different angle of view, but, even in the mirror I thought it was RIGHT THERE!

The G30 is a fat little bugger. I love it, but it can be a challenge to hide sometimes...

I still have the holster. I plan on re-acquiring a BERSA Thunder .380 ACP someday, and that would be a perfect fit.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I also wear a smartcarry holster 5 days a week. This type holster is not for everybody. There is no one ideal holster that will fit everyone comfortably. In my case, my SC holster works very well. When I'm wearing my SC holster I almost forget that I'm wearing it.

The best advice I can give you is to read the comments posted on this forum. If you decide that the SC holster is a holster that you might like to wear is to buy it. Go to the website and fill it the information to provide SC to custom make your holster.

Once your SC holster arrives try wearing it for a week or so. You have to decide if the SC holster is right for you. I'm completely satisfied with mine. In a worst case case scenario, SC has a 30 day refund policy. You can't lose if you want to try wearing this holster that I use the majority of the time.

I hope this helps you decide if a smart carry holster is something you might want to buy.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; October 3rd, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I'm female and have a Smart Carry. I have a few things I can wear where it works. But mostly, it will make me look like I have a male surprise in my pants!

But when I'm doing chores around the house or otherwise somewhere where I'm unlikely to be seen, it's a comfortable way to carry.

I wish I could figure out a way to make it work with more clothing choices because it is comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    But when I'm doing chores around the house or otherwise somewhere where I'm unlikely to be seen, it's a comfortable way to carry.

That sounds similar to my getting a pocket holster for the Taurus PT145. The reaction I got from several people was, "You're going to pocket carry THAT?!?!?!"

But I'll only pocket carry it around my own property because it definitely prints somewhat. It enables me to carry on my body at home whereas I normally wouldn't. That's another reason I'm considering the SmartCarry.

-miklcolt45

I have a Smart carry and I also am a believer in this thing. It is the best ccw holster I have and I have tried many. I have a bit of a belley and I can use if for several firearms. It is a medium size one, but with some rolled up pieces of cloth I can carry a Sig 232 .380 all the way up to my full size XDM in .40. The little Sig disappears in anything from shorts, pants, and even sweat pants. If I have sweat pants and I do sitting or squatting in front of someone up close, then it will protrude and look like I have a HUGE package. Otherwise it all disappears. The full size XD barrel in the holster rides to the left of the package and the grip does push into the pants at the butt end across the hips. If you feel where your pubic bones come together just above the package, this is where I position the top of the holster and the butt of the gun rides below the belly roll and slightly above he pubic bone for the full size XDM. For the .380, it just disappears in there. It is HIGHLY unlikely you can have an accidental discharge with the firearm in the holster as the trigger is covered. I would say never...but you know how never goes in this world. It would be as likely as any other holster. My days require that I carry very discreetly, this thing is awesome and it is the only one that works for me 100% of the time and is comfortable and accessible with being completely discreet. If you have a tight waistband, drawing takes some practice and it is easily hung up with a full size auto. With the .380 it doesn't matter what I wear. If I use the full-size auto, I find a elastic waistband is easier, but jeans with a belt is not restricted either. The only thing I could say about it ton the downside is here in AZ the heat will may you have a bit of crotch sweat if it is hot (the Smart carry is made with sweatproof materials to keep the firearm dry), but it can be a smidge warm. The other drawback is if you have an exposed hammer on a full size gun, when you sit, the hammer can push into the belly roll making it uncomfortable for me. I think that is more a function of the belly roll, not the holster. I had a Sig 239 da/sa and the hammer would push in. The Sig 232 w/ the hammer, no problem. With the XDM, or a glock, or even a Sig 239 SAS, no problem. I guess if you had a revolver without a shrouded hammer this might also be a factor, but I think that is more about someone's build and adjustment of the holster height.

If you have a closet full of holsters, spend another $50 and you will not regret it like the others.

Let me take a crack at your excellent questions. I have been a Smartcarry guy for several years and have both experience and opinions based on my experiences.

Quote:

Like pretty much everything else associated with holster wear experimentation is often necesary. For me the right place to wear the SC is with the gun's grip just beneath my belt. That means I can easily reach down behind my belt and draw the gun. I do not like the gun to ride between my legs at all! Way too low for either comfort or efficiency!

People say all the time, "Aren't you scared you will shoot yourself in the crotch?" That can't happen... if that is possible, you are wearing it way too high.

Quote:

I tend to wear my trousers looser as a matter of both personal taste and style. Relaxed fit jeans/Dockers are my choice and both work well for the SC. Too tight and printing is likely to occur.

Quote:

SC's are not tighly fitted holsters but they are absolutely not "one size fits all"! After some personal experimentation my personal choice is to order a SC that is a a larger size. That works for me.

Quote:

It is obvious that the tighter the trousers the more likely there is to be printing. If you are someone who really favors tight trousers then printing is a likely outcome. However, wearing relaxed fit trousers or ones with pleats will pretty much eliminate printing at all.

Quote:

I have been pleased with all my SC choices so returning one has never come up. But, from what I have heard, SC has excellent customer service and lives up to its return policy.

My experience with the SC has been excellent and I recomment it higihly. But, I realize that it may not be for everybody. Get one, experiment with it, and see for yourself if it is for you.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Thanks for the great replies, everyone. I'm still thinking about it and might give it a whirl.

-miklcolt45

Administrator

Unhappy

If carrying that deep is your only option then you must do what you must do.

I personally would not ever carry in one because access to the self-defensive firearm is just too doggone slow.

Not the best VID but, this is basically the reason why I have no use for one.

But, again if you absolutely need to carry deep in one then go for it.
    It sure is better than leaving your gun at home.

YouTube - FOF/Tueller @ 15'

Have somebody that is in good physical condition run at you full speed (try 21' away) with a Styrofoam tire-iron, baseball bat, or trainer knife.
    If you can get your firearm out of a SmartCarry and presented on target before you get severely stabbed or walloped (also known as dead in real life) then you are way better than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If carrying that deep is your only option then you must do what you must do.

I personally would not ever carry in one because access to the self-defensive firearm is just too doggone slow.

Not the best VID but, this is basically the reason why I have no use for one.

But, again if you absolutely need to carry deep in one then go for it.
    It sure is better than leaving your gun at home.

YouTube - FOF/Tueller @ 15'

Have somebody that is in good physical condition run at you full speed (try 21' away) with a Styrofoam tire-iron, baseball bat, or trainer knife.
    If you can get your firearm out of a SmartCarry and presented on target before you get severely stabbed or walloped (also known as dead in real life) then you are way better than I am.
    This is something else I've considered. The problem with needing a gun is that you often need it NOW.

I'm also a bit turned off by the absolute necessity for two-handed draw with the SmartCarry types.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I'm also a bit turned off by the absolute necessity for two-handed draw with the SmartCarry types.
    If you dress for it, you only need one hand to draw.

First, there was only Thunderwear. Same product and it still exists. For my $0.02, it's still the better one but I have both. SmartCarry came along later.

I've been wearing them both for more than 10 years. I live in FL where it is hot 10-11 months out of the year. In gym shorts and a t-shirt no one ever knows - even the spouse was surprised. I carry a baby Glock (G33) and it's perfectly concealed.

I also spend several days in the National Forest two or three times a year. I wear my holster 24/7, even sleep in it. Very comfortable - never even think of it - except for those personal hygiene moments......

Comfort depends on whether you "dress left or right". Ever buy a tailor-made suit, then you know what I mean. Women don't need to consider this. For my part, low and to the left is MUCH more comfortable.

When needed, I believe I can access my pistol in fractions of a second. In deep cover, I have the element of surprise. It is not perfect, but for me it is the way I go.
    Last edited by cat118; October 4th, 2009 at 09:03 AM.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    QKShooter sez...

Springer sez...

Grady sez...
    If you dress for it, you only need one hand to draw.

As I have said many times, I wear it outside the pants and covered by an untucked Hawaiian shirt... I keep meaning to take some photos to demonstrate this... but I have never been made carrying this way, including a very close encounter with 2 Deputy Sheriffs. And while I don't do the defensive shooting clubs, I do practice drawing and presenting around the house a little... I can put my hand under the tails of my shirt and from your perspective, it looks like I have my hand in my pocket.

But my hand is not in my pocket... I have my palm flat against lower abdomen/upper thigh, just an inch from the butt of my Sig, and I would wager that I can pull my Sig faster than you can clear your cover garment and present your weapon in a IWB tuckable holster like an MTAC or Crossbreed. That's not a slight against either holster; I also have an MTAC.

Now before anyone gets all huffy and puffy and tells me how they drill constantly on that and they have timed it, I'm not saying that I am the fastest draw here. But my hand is one inch from the grip, and I look relaxed... very "gray man"... just some guy in a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops with his hand in his pocket. I'm tellin' ya... my gun comes out surprisingly fast.

I know not everyone has a job and lifestyle that allows carrying this way... but it really works for me. I'm self-employed and work from home, so I dress for comfort, not fashion. But I clean up nice, and I have worn my SmartCarry in the pants with pleated slacks. The SmartCarry is very versatile...

Like Uralite sez... what other holster can you wear with sweatpants?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links