LFI Concealment Rig review wanted

This is a discussion on LFI Concealment Rig review wanted within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have any of you used the LFI Concealment Rig from Ted Blocker designed by Massad Ayoob and Ted Blocker? If so, what has been your ...

Thread: LFI Concealment Rig review wanted

Have any of you used the LFI Concealment Rig from Ted Blocker designed by Massad Ayoob and Ted Blocker? If so, what has been your experience with it? Any review information appreciated.
    Paul
    Springfield XD(M) 9mm, Springfield XD Sub-compact 9mm, Kel Tec PF9
    09/16/2009: USPS Delivered Application
    10/09/2009: Received Pin # in the mail, status 'processing application'
    12/08/2009: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
    12/14/2009: Plastic in hand

Quote Originally Posted by psehorne View Post
    Have any of you used the LFI Concealment Rig from Ted Blocker designed by Massad Ayoob and Ted Blocker? If so, what has been your experience with it? Any review information appreciated.
    I had one twenty years, or so ago. I liked it for what it was and it did a good job of hiding my 5" 1911 at the time.

It's Velcro, so you can really get the cant and height right, if you take the time. The bad thing is, take your Belt off, you have to set the cant and height all over again.

It was the predecessor to today's Velcro Clips. IMO, it was ahead of it's time, and has since been surpassed by better designs today. Please don't get me wrong, I like the LFI, but for me there are better options out there now. It does fill a niche though, and has some devoted fans, much like us old guys that like revolvers.

I don't think you can go wrong with an LFI Rig, I just think that in many cases you can do better. The problem is, finding that better holster, for you. Would I use one again? In a NY minute. Would it be my first choice? Nope, but definately not far from the first pick.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    It's Velcro, so you can really get the cant and height right, if you take the time. The bad thing is, take your Belt off, you have to set the cant and height all over again.
    Thanks, Biker. Good information to have. It's $150; so important to be informed before making a decision.
    Paul

Biker, do you know if the holster is boned to your desired gun? It doesn't specifically say on the web site, but it does ask for your gun make and model on the order form. If it is well boned I would probably forgo the Thumb Break. (Of course, I can call and ask).

What was your experience with retention?

Thanks,
    Paul

The holster is made to accomodate a particular gun.

The version I had didn't show fine detailed boning, but was definately pressed.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I had one twenty years, or so ago. I liked it for what it was and it did a good job of hiding my 5" 1911 at the time.

It was the predecessor to today's Velcro Clips. IMO, it was ahead of it's time, and has since been surpassed by better designs today. Please don't get me wrong, I like the LFI, but for me there are better options out there now. It does fill a niche though, and has some devoted fans, much like us old guys that like revolvers.

I don't think you can go wrong with an LFI Rig, I just think that in many cases you can do better. The problem is, finding that better holster, for you. Would I use one again? In a NY minute. Would it be my first choice? Nope, but definately not far from the first pick.

Biker
    Five years later I hope some folks are still interested. Could we discuss better designs?
    I have an LFI I've used a lot and I really like that it conceals to the top of my belt. I wear the 1.5 inch belt so that's an inch and a half more cover that I think matters. I would like something that doesn't have to be re done when I take the belt off, but I don't think I'd want to give up the adjust-ability of Velcro for that. So, is there something that let's me -really- adjust cant/position, that is easy to take off/on, other improvements? I'd like to see the LFI re done in kydex (for some, heresy I'm sure) particularly the holsters velcro tab. I've never had mine disconnect when I didn't want it to it just seems that a stiffer tab and or belt surface would adher better. What is better, and why? -Boyd

Cool

Go on the below web site and scroll down to the Changeling IWB holster.

I have one for my Browning Hi-Power and it is of excellent quality and should fit your needs for adjustability and ease of use.

Garrity's Gunleather - IWB Holsters

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

changeling looks great on adjustment, but loses me that last bit of concealment because of the loops. Anyone else?

I also had an LFI rig for a K-frame. retention seemed to depend on the thumb-break and when I converted it to DAO, it kinda went to the wayside. The belt in that rig was not the stiffest you'll find and the velcro tended to fray, so you had to keep trimming threads. this was over 20 years ago so YMMV in the present.
    Well, I guess we don't get to make fun of Burt's lifestyle anymore. Earl Bassett

Sponsored Links