Serpa for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Serpa for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rocky So what is junk about the Serpa holsters? How are comp tac better? The Serpa is a close second behind the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serpa for concealed carry?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    So what is junk about the Serpa holsters? How are comp tac better?
    The Serpa is a close second behind the Fobus in how many times they let the gun go in DT training. It seems as if they just let the gun rip loose at the slightest stress. The Taser holster is complete crap. Give it a dirty look and it drops the Taser. I'm not much of a Blackhawk fan at all. The should have stuck with nylon stuff. That is what they know best.

The comp tac conceals much better, is much more rigid without the bulk, and doesnt give any false sense of what it will or wont do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The Serpa is a close second behind the Fobus in how many times they let the gun go in DT training. It seems as if they just let the gun rip loose at the slightest stress. The Taser holster is complete crap. Give it a dirty look and it drops the Taser. I'm not much of a Blackhawk fan at all. The should have stuck with nylon stuff. That is what they know best.

The comp tac conceals much better, is much more rigid without the bulk, and doesnt give any false sense of what it will or wont do.
    Thanks for clarifying. My buddy and I did try tearing one up with regards to a gun grabs/ wrestling but was unsuccessful. I actually picked him up by the holster once. Any links / ect to this issue?
    Not doubting you but I want to learn more. As for BH nylon work , I was not that impressed with some of it. (but they did start to outsource to SE Asia too).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The Serpa does not conceal well. I recently bought a "Silent Thunder" from Tucker Gunleather. It's made of leather lined kydex. It is much slimmer and thus conceals better. There's also an IWB version that I didn't try. Another option if you like kydex and don't want to screw up the finish too bad.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    when i had my 1911 I had a serpa set up in a cross draw configuration and it was amazing, I could wear a Who Dey jersey or a button down shirt with a few bottom buttons buttoned and I was good to go
    +1!

I carry in just this fashion at 1030-1100. It works great! Surprisingly, it conceals rather well (given a cover shirt or hoodie), and with the winter coming, it is even easier to do.

For the price, you can't go wrong.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

It is a great Holster

It is a great holster It does stick out a bit but for me I wear a leather vest winter or summer so it isn't really a problem for me. As for the holster itself . Once your weapon is in there it stays put until you hit the release button. A buddy and I tried different scenarios and he couldn't take it out.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I just bought a blackhawk serpa for my glock 32 about an hour ago.....

so far I LOVE THIS HOLSTER....

conceals just as well as leather, very light, secure and fast draw....

i think its a winner

Well...I got one.

It's what I took out on day one of CCing (this is day 2) to the grocery store. I had a hoodie on and my football jacket (long...like a sideline jacket).

I "checked myself out" in the mirror before I left. No way anyone would ever see anything.

JVD
    John VanDusen

"Whether it's a football game or an IED attack, you play EXACTLY how your practice."

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." ~Oliver Cromwell

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. My buddy and I did try tearing one up with regards to a gun grabs/ wrestling but was unsuccessful. I actually picked him up by the holster once. Any links / ect to this issue?
    Not doubting you but I want to learn more. As for BH nylon work , I was not that impressed with some of it. (but they did start to outsource to SE Asia too).
    Sorry Rocky, I lost track of this thread.

Anyway, we were grabbing the leading edge of the holster and peeling it back. The guns just flopped out. The first time it happened on accident, and we were able to duplicate it over and over. Its not done by grabbing the gun, but the holster itself.
    The Taser hoster is a joke not even worth talking about really.

Someone from our group said they were going to post a video on youtube, but I dont know if he did or not. I think he was going to wait to hear from the Blackhawk rep.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Another "non fan." If you don't mind the holster protrusion then you should mind the growing documented concerns of the locking mechanism failing in training cycles. And that's not even commenting on the design, which is a controversy in and of itself.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

I keep hearing this on the forums. Can you provide a link to verify this? I know a Youtube video exists but it is a Fobus Holster, not a Serpa.

It's Ok if this is a real and known problem, but a cite or link helps tremendously when making a purchasing decision.

I have 3 Serpas and have NEVER found a problem with any I own. I agree they are not the best for concealment but other thahn that they seem OK to me. I can't even get the paddle off without dropping my pants first.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Another "non fan." If you don't mind the holster protrusion then you should mind the growing documented concerns of the locking mechanism failing in training cycles. And that's not even commenting on the design, which is a controversy in and of itself.
    Please provide a cite or link to verify the "ever growing documented concerns of the locking mechanism."

I have heard (via trhe Internet) of one instance of a pebble jamming a locking mechanism on a Serpa. I am told Blackhawk changed the design but no one can provide a cite or a link for any of this. I think one instructor posted a report and it turned out to be 3rd hand. My Glocks would jam if a pebble was in them. Does that mean it's a bad design? Nope.None of these items were designed to function with debris in them.

As far as reported ND's, again IMO it's the shooter, not the holster.

My .02 cents. YMMV.

I have a Serpa which I bought for my XD. It seems to be useful only at the range. Pretty much useless for concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I have a Serpa which I bought for my XD. It seems to be useful only at the range. Pretty much useless for concealment.
    Agreed. It is nice for OC and range use. I use it for CC under a heavy coat in Winter sometimes

I find it interesting that some are having trouble with the locking device.
    I carried a serpa everyday in Iraq and never had a single issue. (That's why I asked about the CQB)
    From riding in a HMMWV, to kicking in doors, it never failed. I never heard of any of my guys having them fail either (Probably 6 in my Platoon...30 in the Company...Infantry guys are not the easiest on equipment....)

My observations...
    JVD
    John VanDusen

"Whether it's a football game or an IED attack, you play EXACTLY how your practice."

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." ~Oliver Cromwell

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I used a Serpa for LFI II and LFI III and found that the belt atatchemnt is closer to the body than the Paddle, I carry my Glock 19 with one of the Woolrich or EOTAC button conceal carry shirts every day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links