Serpa for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Serpa for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JVD85 I find it interesting that some are having trouble with the locking device. I carried a serpa everyday in Iraq and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serpa for concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by JVD85 View Post
    I find it interesting that some are having trouble with the locking device.
    I carried a serpa everyday in Iraq and never had a single issue. (That's why I asked about the CQB)
    From riding in a HMMWV, to kicking in doors, it never failed. I never heard of any of my guys having them fail either (Probably 6 in my Platoon...30 in the Company...Infantry guys are not the easiest on equipment....)

My observations...
    JVD
    ^^^^^^ Well thats a good enough endorsement for ME.....if it works well in that environment, i know it will work well for me in my daily duties of going to the store, washing the car and going to ball games

2. Remove Ads

It would work up North under a coat for concealed carry,but the Serpa is not a concealed carry holster! It is actually a Tactical holster,it wasn't really designed to be a holster for concealed carry!

I have a couple of buddy's on the police force They are under cover and this is what they use. No a T shirt wont work to cover it properly but a button down shirt with only the bottom couple of buttons do Or a vest. It fits snug against the body and works real well.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

see how close the holster rides to the body?
    Attached Images
    NRA Member

PHB
    I like the holster for open carry and at the range for me it is to bulky for CC and after using it for a while I had to go back to my old way of thinking which is plastic guns plastic holsters good guns leather holsters JMHO.

PS: BH belts are fantastic
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    The key guys is to dress accordingly. I have at least 2 holsters for each carry gun. A Serpa and an IWB depending on how i will dress.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1984 View Post
    see how close the holster rides to the body?
    nice pic....so if you can conceal a beretta with a serpa, imagine what you can do with a Glock 32 or 33 :)

my Glock 32 disappears with the serpa holster

This definitely depends on the clothes that you wear. I can see where you "can" make it work but personally I would prefer a tight quality leather pancake holster.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    The key guys is to dress accordingly. I have at least 2 holsters for each carry gun. A Serpa and an IWB depending on how i will dress.
    excactly. I have a Serpa and a Supertuck for each weapon. having choices is good.

Been carrying a G22 in a Serpa 24/7 for over a year now and it has worked excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by ASHTXSNIPER View Post
    Been carrying a G22 in a Serpa 24/7 for over a year now and it has worked excellent.
    Mine works well too. It just doesn't conceal well. Can you dress around it and make it work? Of course you can. Does it compare favorably for concealment to a good pancake type leather holster or a kydex from Comp Tac? Hardly. I think the Serpa is a decent holster but if concealment is your pleasure there are better choices to be had.

I have Level 2 SERPAs for my GLOCK 17 and Glock 19. I like the holsters and use them for carry around the house, but they don't conceal very well for me. They don't tuck the weapon in close to my body. I use a leather holster for concealed carry.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

I also use the Level 2 around the house. I carry my P2000 around all the time in gym shorts and a tshirt. It doesn't conceal well under the tshirt, but I could care less.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    nice pic....so if you can conceal a beretta with a serpa, imagine what you can do with a Glock 32 or 33 :)

my Glock 32 disappears with the serpa holster
    Yes a smaller weapon would be better to conceal but i have trained with the beretta for a Lot of years it is what im most comfortable with. I had a glock once didn't care for it at all I sold it after having it a month.
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Blackhawk! just released a blanket e-mail with a press release about SOCOM units selecting the SERPA holster system with select accessories as their issued equipment. Apparently they ran a series of tests with SOCOM in Q2 of this year and the SERPA took on all comers for the winning of the contract.
    A few things to keep in mind about this are:
    SOCOM has an exponentially more flexible acquisitions system than main-line units. They could have gotten dang near anything they wanted and they selected the SERPA because it works.
    The testing was done by SOCOM and to SOCOM standards. If the holsters had blown apart with a hard stare then they definitely wouldn't have made the cut.
    The testing also showed, again to SOCOM standards, that the locking mechanism is tough and reliable enough for some serious use in a wide variety of non-optimal conditions including, dust, dirt, mud, rocks, etc.
    And finally, the testing showed that the system can indeed be finally deemed as safe as any other system because if a bunch of high-speed/low-draggers had capped themselves or others during the testing under their stressful training regimen (like a few supposed "operators" had done at a couple of training schools) then it, again, wouldn't have made the cut.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links