? about going from out of car to in

This is a discussion on ? about going from out of car to in within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; whats everyone do when you go from walking around to getting in your car? do you have a seperate holster for you gun? do you ...

Thread: ? about going from out of car to in

? about going from out of car to in

whats everyone do when you go from walking around to getting in your car? do you have a seperate holster for you gun? do you lock it in the glove box? right now i have an IWB that allows me to tuck my shirt in. i wear it right up front right now. it isn't too bad when i set down in the seat of the car but was just looking for other options.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure that you are asking.
    I really don't have to change anything when getting into the car. My holster stays right at 3:30...get in the car and drive away.
    I guess it would depend upon what kind of holster you are using which would determine if a change were needed to access your firearm from a seated position. (i.e., pocket carry or small of the back, etc.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm left handed, so I don't have any problems with my gun being covered by the seatbelt, unless I'm the passenger, which doesn't happen very often.

If you are concerned about being able to draw easily, I've heard several options, from a holster that stays in your car, either center console, under dash, jammed between the seat and console, etc. to a car gun that never leaves the car.

Or you could just learn to shoot left handed and move your holster to the left side. It really is a lot less hassle... :-)
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

First let me welcome you to the forum.

If carrying in your car is that big of a concern for you, try looking onto classes that offer lessons that specifically focus on carrying while in a vehicle.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Welcome to the forum. You can purchase a driving holster. ther are makers out there making one. I believe Mitch Rosen makes one named after your home state. LOL I use my Galco CCP and tilt it for crossdraw then just slide it on in the car... very effective. Try looking at these.

FIST, INC.

Mitch Rosen's CCR model I couldnt put in a link to it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    [QUOTE=retsupt99;1324121]I'm not sure that you are asking.
    I really don't have to change anything when getting into the car. My holster stays right at 3:30...get in the car and drive away.

+1
    [One Nation Under God]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I prefer the get in the car and drive method too. I figure that parking lots are dangerous and the transitions are vulnerable times, so no need to make it worse by switching your gear around.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

What Ret said.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sliderbuck View Post
    whats everyone do when you go from walking around to getting in your car? do you have a seperate holster for you gun? do you lock it in the glove box? right now i have an IWB that allows me to tuck my shirt in. i wear it right up front right now. it isn't too bad when i set down in the seat of the car but was just looking for other options.
    Welcome to the forum!

It seems you are wearing a "tuckable" type of rig, forward of the hip, either what some term the appendix position, or crossdraw. I do not use a tuckable type of rig, myself, as I usually wear an outside-the-belt holster covered by a vest or jacket, or IWB under an untucked shirt, and do not unholster when seated inside a vehicle. I sometimes DO position an alternate gun, or what my friend Anthony, on another forum, has dubbed a "roving" gun, in a more accessible place, often in the appendix position, but not under a tucked shirt.

In my newer commuter car, a Honda Civic, I am contemplating fastening a now-unused holster in a certain semi-concealed place accessible to my most dextrous hand, but I will NOT unholster my "primary" and put it there; it will be for a roving gun, which will leave the car with me under most circumstances. In a fast-breaking emergency, one is not likely to remember to grab anything from within the vehicle, that is not fastened to the body; keep a gun ON your person.

On a long road trip, I have been known to position a second P229 in a shoulder rig, an Andrews Monarch, or a large sixgun in an absolutely superb, but now-discontinued, nylon rig. This is while keeping my "primary" handgun on my "primary side" hip.

It should be evident by now that I believe one's "primary," or go-to gun, should be worn in the same place as much as possible. Bad things happen fast; drawing a weapon should be a totally unconscious action, with no active thought required.

One idea: if you are wearing under a tucked shirt, consider untucking when seated in the car, leaving the shirt bloused so it conceals the weapon, and re-tucking when you exit the vehicle.

thanks for the reply guys. well yesterday i finally got my conceal license. tonight was the first time that i was actually out with the holster and gun. when i would sit down the grip on the gun was poking into my stomach farely good. i don't know if i'll keep this type of holster or not. i really like the way that it fits though when i'm out and about. i'll try it for awhile and see what happens i guess.

Carrying was uncomfortable for me at first, especially when in the car. Eventually, I found a great IWB holster, but was still not completely comfortable driving the car wearing an IWB holster.

After awhile, either my body adjusted, or I found a sweet spot with the holster.

Give it some time and keep trying different things till you find what works best for you.

Good Luck.

When driving in my vehicle, I keep my firearm in the seatback pouch of the driver seat. I have a big wing span(6'5'' 280lbs.) I can get to my gun from this position faster than if it were on my person in my IWB holster. I can get my firearm out in a ready position in one second or less.

Links