looking for a adjustable cant IWB...

This is a discussion on looking for a adjustable cant IWB... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; as i have mentioned in my 'introduction' (if i was really tech savvy, i'd put a link to it here), its about the time of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a adjustable cant IWB...

looking for a adjustable cant IWB...

as i have mentioned in my 'introduction' (if i was really tech savvy, i'd put a link to it here), its about the time of year i'm thinking of switching my sig 226 to my glock 19 - and i'm contemplating a IWB holster, just becasue it hides the business end a little better than an OWB holster. i guess my only crevat is that i'd like something with an adjustable cant so i can wear cross draw if i so desire. having spent some time looking through manufacturer's websites, i've been drooling over the Andrews Custom Leather's MacDaniel II Crossdraw...

i'm sure they are a good company, and their products are top-notch. i'd like to hear opinions about this, as well as alternate suggestions. one more thing; i'd prefer not to wait 5 months for the darned thing to arrive, at which point, the glock will probably get put away for hibernation...

many thanks in advance,

rd

2. Remove Ads

If you are open to other materials (Kydex), how about a C-TAC? I have one for my 1911, and I love it. It is adjustable for cant, as well as tuckable, and you have different clips available for mounting it to your belt. Turn around time is usually 1 week, 2 at the most. http://www.comp-tac.com/

Here's mine:

Another vote for the CTAC, I have two.

Hi,

Sam usually has McDaniels in stock - I would suggest that you give him a call - the wait might not be all that long.

Having said that, one of the cardinal rules regarding the carry of a defensive handgun is that you pick a carry location and do not vary from it. Otherwise, you may well miss the draw if/when you need it. (Gunfights are usually over in a few seconds at most, so it is likely you will not get a second chance to draw before you are dead).

PJH
    I carry a G19 daily in an Andrews MacDaniel II at around 4:00-4:30.

While I have tried other holsters, and am currently thinking about going to a two-loop design ( VM2, MaxCon V, COM3 -- I can't decide which ), the MDII is very comfortable and well made. The adjustable cant is a nice feature, and it comes with a couple different sized belt loops. I much prefer the offset loop design to holsters where the loop(s) are on holster body; carrying a Glock, the last thing I want is MORE thickness.

I was at a gun show here in FL last weekend, and Sam Andrews was there selling his wares. I pulled my (unloaded, of course) G19 in its holster from my waistband and thanked Sam for the excellent work. I have had my rig for several years, and it will continue to provide several more years of service, I'm sure. Also, unless he sold everything he had with him at the show, I'd think there's a good chance he may have one left over and "ready to go" if you call him, which could avoid a long wait.

I couldn't tell you about crossdraw, sorry.

-Paul

You may also want to check out the Super-Tuck form Crossbreed. the website is www.crossbreedholsters.com.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Assistant Administrator
    Just to reinforce Gary's mention re piece in same place - give or take. Cannot imagine anything worse than a fumble while trying locate the gun under pressure!

This is one reason I carry all waking hours and always 3 - 3.30 - the constancy of presence and position IMO makes for a draw almost possible half asleep - it is there always.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Another vote for CTAC
    Blinky

Dalai Lama - May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Don't forget KD guys,

I have a Cochise Defender on order right now, Thus no review for you, but it is adjustable cant and heigth, Kevin was prompt on the reply's to e-mail too. My model wasn't in stock, so I have to wait a bit, I'll put up a review when it comes in and I can try it out. It does give the options of flipping it around for cross draw too, but like it has been said here before, I don't know how good an idea that would be.

Here's the link.

K&D Holsters
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Just wanted to say a quick "thanks!" to everyone who's replied. i generally carry strong side, OWB; but contemplating cross-draw or 'appendix' carry (is that a real term?) in the summer with the smaller G19 so i can wear a loose shirt over it, and use my weak hand to pull up the shirt and access the weapon with the strong hand. but having said that comments regarding not switching is very valid... more to ponder about.

i've got to dash for now, but will go over everyone's input and will ask more questions.

i just hate the idea of "trial and error" with holsters, especially since good ones aren't cheap. and i've gone that route with a lot (and i mean a lot) of climbing gear.

Thanks again!

rd

PJH
    It's pretty much always summer here, so a loose shirt is what covers my gun 95% of the time. Strong-side IWB from under a shirt will never be as fast as OWB, but with practice it can be pretty quick.

Personally, I'm not a fan of any carry method which relies on using two hands to access my pistol; there's always a chance that my off hand will be occupied doing something important at the time I need my gun.

Although I'd like to say I always carry in the same place, it's not true. Sometimes my G19 stays home and all I have is a S&W 442 or P3AT in a pocket.

Best,

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rubber ducky
    i just hate the idea of "trial and error" with holsters, especially since good ones aren't cheap. and i've gone that route with a lot (and i mean a lot) of climbing gear.

Thanks again!

rd
    If you try a Max-Con V and don't like it - I'll buy it back from you. How's that for a "no risk" trial ?

One more vote for the C.T.A.C.

Thanks to everyone who replied, now i'm going to spend some time going over everyone's suggestions and hopefully, come to a definitive and final (is that redundant) conclusion...

Mr. Brommeland, thank you for the generous offer, i will keep you posted.

if people have other suggestions, please let me know. it'll probably take me a few days (with all the other stuff going on) to make a decision, and i'm always open to new ideas.

Cheers,

rd

Hi Ducky,

I ordered a MacDaniel II for a 1911 today. He had some already made up and ready to ship in "oil finish" with the sweat shield. I'll probably have it in a couple of days----can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links