Rafting/Waterborne Ops

This is a discussion on Rafting/Waterborne Ops within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going camping in West Virginia next weekend and I'm bringing my HK45C, but the thing is I'm also going whitewater rafting during that weekend ...

Thread: Rafting/Waterborne Ops

Rafting/Waterborne Ops

I'm going camping in West Virginia next weekend and I'm bringing my HK45C, but the thing is I'm also going whitewater rafting during that weekend too. I really don't like the thought of having the gun off body (possibility of bag getting stolen but somewhat unlikely), but then again, you're wearing a wetsuit as well as some additional layers, not the usual every day ccw attire. Anyone who's ever been rafting (well it's actually my first time) knows that there's going to be some crazy parts and you could go overboard and bash your side against a rock...and I don't know if that is enough to cause an ND with the hammer down, nor do I want to find out...

what kind of holster should I be using in this case?

2. Remove Ads

A Safepacker with The Packer Backer may work. Also get yourself a phone cable style lanyard and hook it up from the pistol to the holster/body.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Lead Moderator
    I have used a nylon pistol belt & holster over my wetsuit & under clothes while kayaking . Never been whitewater but I do use a Blackhawk lanyard attached to the belt in the event of a spill.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Are you going rafting in the Fayette Co. Area? New River, and/or Gauley? I live in Faytteville. Maybe a Maxpedition bag. I would go with a kydex holster if you can find one. It is impervious to water, and has positive retention. Just make sure you wipe down and oil the gun, after all wet activities.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I currently have a crossbreed supertuck (kydex) with crossbreed twin mag carriers, worn on a liger gunbelt, what advantage does a nylon belt have over mine?

jwhite we are rafting on the Upper Gauley River, and we will be stopping by bridge day, too

I've been rafting, and have to say, I would leave the gun in the car. Yes yes, we all hate to be without it, but this is one experience where carrying would be a HUGE PAIN. Plus, the gun would need extra oil/lube before and after to keep it from rusting.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I don't think you need to worry about an ND with the hammer down and the safety flipped back up. I would more worry about the gun itself. Like others have said, in addition to a good Kydex holster, a sturdy lanyard and extra lube with a thorough cleaning after should be okay. Do you have a different(less expensive) gun you could take? I know after just dropping $$$$ on my 45C, I couldn't do it.

I was on a float trip this summer and carried my XD9sc in a nemesis holster inside a Aloksak Bag and carried it inside the cargo pocket of some cargo shorts. Spent more than just a little bit of time in the water. Gun stayed nice and dry.

If it's not going to be a "fashion faux pas," you can wear a pair of cargo shorts over your wet suit and carry that way.

Just a thought.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I live a mile from the Bridge. Awesome rafting you will love it. Be advised the Gauley is very turbulent and I would not disagree with leaving it in the car for awhile.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Did the Gauley years ago. Man, that was fun. You're going to enjoy it. Don't think I'd take a handgun on a one day rafting trip (i.e., return to civilization at night). Just too much of a hassle.

You need a top float dry bag with a double lanyard to your body. Or leave it in the car.

Meryl Streep ain't gonna save you. :)

VIP Member
    Maybe something like this?

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'd leave it . Have fun, relax.

Links