Holster for the wife

This is a discussion on Holster for the wife within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We're still on a quest to find a holster to allow my wife to comfortable carry a 90mm EMP. The only place that seems comfortable ...

Thread: Holster for the wife

Holster for the wife

We're still on a quest to find a holster to allow my wife to comfortable carry a 90mm EMP. The only place that seems comfortable for her is SOB, I don't like it, but thats what she wants. Only problem is, "normal" SOB holsters put the gun in the butt up/barrel down configuration. She wants it oppisote. She wants the butt on the gun to point down, W/ the barrell up. Basicically...I think... like a left handed SOB holster, but with right hand belt attachments...I think.

Any ideas?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

2. Remove Ads

pax
    Tell her to try appendix carry first.

If she's got her heart set on SOB, encourage her to bring it slightly forward so it is not directly on the spinal cord. You can still get the same (slow draw, poorly concealed, impossible to draw if knocked on your back as a rapist will try to do to you, putting yourself in an armlock to draw) basic draw there, but without the downside of a potentially permanent crippling injury to her spine should she get slammed against a wall or thrown to the ground.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I would try one of the custom makers. But as it will be a "one off" model expect to pay extra. Nossar, UBG, HBE, Side Guard, Little Bear, Desbiens. They might be able to help or even FIST.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

She wants a MOB holster! I used to carry this way with a full size 1911A1. Middle of back, palm out draw. Most natural for me. A couple of holster makers do this one. Mainly Galco. Finding what she wants means you'll be better off in the long run. Trust me........mine is carrying my favorite pistol in my favorite holster! All i need to do is find another holster now. Hey! I've got back-up now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    She wants a MOB holster! I used to carry this way with a full size 1911A1. Middle of back, palm out draw. Most natural for me. A couple of holster makers do this one. Mainly Galco. Finding what she wants means you'll be better off in the long run. Trust me........mine is carrying my favorite pistol in my favorite holster! All i need to do is find another holster now. Hey! I've got back-up now!
    Good suggestion, and Fist makes this... FIST, INC. ...and I have about six of them for various guns.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I always carry my 90mm on a trailer.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    That's why it has to be SOB, it will sag too much at the 3.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Real quick questions:

1. What holster is she using now?
    2. What holsters has she tried and in what positions?
    3. What is her typical mode of dress?

Right now she isn't carrying because it isn't comfortable. She picked out a Galco Concealable which is what I use for IDPA. She's tried some of my SOB rigs from Galco, the concealable, etc. None of them are comfortable for her. We've tried everything from SOB to cross draw.
    I've never seen a holster configured the way she wants it. I told her it would be dang near impossible to conceal they way she wants to carry. I told her about landing on your back W/ a gun on your spine, rinse, repeat.
    The only way she carrys now is off body, which I don't like.
    She dresses semi casual. Mostly slacks with no belt and a nice top. We're working on that as well. I'm trying to get her to at least buy slacks that use a belt.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Wife had similar issues and finally decided to carry a smaller gun we are not at war, if so she would be carrying full size fighting pistol. If it is going to be for mostly up close and personal protection fast firing small is not a bad idea IMHO. We came to the reality that her carrying was more important than the size of the carry. Her first 9mm was just to big for what she wanted to do throughout her busy day. By shifting down in size she is armed near all the time and that suits me just fine.

A friend of mine his wife carries an EMP in a Kramer holster. Try Kramer.
    Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

No belt?

Not too many options. My wife is similar. She carries a LCP in a belly band. It's not my Glock 26, but it will certainly do the job.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My wife is a small person and carrying a concealed thick double stack handgun on her in hot Texas weather is just not going to work. Her smaller carry is a Kel Tec P3AT which she shoots very well and very fast. For now she purse carrys or pocket carrys and we are working toward on the body carry. She had kidney cancer and had a kidney removed and it is still tender where the surgery took place. We will find out next week if all cancer is gone.

I have a current thread that might be relevant ("It's not that hard (CCW))

I often hate when people propose a solution that is outside of what I'm asking for...so forgive me if this has been considered and dismissed.

I am usually in business casual for work. This means dress pants (usually.) Women's dress pants either have no belt loops at all, or the belt loop might accommodate a 1/2" belt. Asking a woman to wear pants that can manage a gun belt, effectively means asking her to wear manly pants or jeans.

Women's pants just don't have those kinds of belt loops. And our pants fabric is thinner and not made for big belts.

My solution is a small gun in a reasonable caliber (Kahr PM9) with a single stack. I don't need a big, honking holster. I don't need a big belt.

A small holster with a clip, easily attaches directly to my pants. And because the gun is so small, I've had no problems with stability or drawing. (Only exception is bathroom needs a bit of care for muzzle control.)

I can't envision ever feeling okay about purse carry.

I can't/won't hugely compromise my clothing.

So the thing I've compromised is the size of my gun. The PM9 is not fun to shoot. I'm not as accurate with it as I am my HD weapon. It doesn't hold as much ammo as I'd like it to hold. BUT...I can dress in a manner that is comfortable to me, carrying a caliber that I feel comfy with as an SD weapon. And my marksmanship with it now, is almost as good as I am with my HD (full sized) weapon.

The scenario that pax posted is really disturbing because it doesn't take much to imagine things coming down that way. Slamming a woman up against a wall or down on her back, is not at all unlikely in an assault.

Why does she think she'd be most comfy carrying SOB?

Caveat: I've been carrying for all of a few weeks now. I don't claim expertise! But the idea of having to change my wardrobe to carry was very upsetting. And I'm finding that the needed changes are minimal.

When appendix doesn't work, I have a Galco Underwrap Bellyband that conceals in a whole 'nother wide range of clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    I have a current thread that might be relevant ("It's not that hard (CCW))

A small holster with a clip, easily attaches directly to my pants. And because the gun is so small, I've had no problems with stability or drawing. (Only exception is bathroom needs a bit of care for muzzle control.)

When appendix doesn't work, I have a Galco Underwrap Bellyband that conceals in a whole 'nother wide range of clothing.
    Do you have any pictures of you carrying concealed. I am having similar issues with holsters for my wife.

Links