CB Supertuck or MTAC

This is a discussion on CB Supertuck or MTAC within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all...first post here but I've been doing a lot of reading. In terms of carrying an XDM, which holster do you think would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Supertuck or MTAC

CB Supertuck or MTAC

Hey all...first post here but I've been doing a lot of reading.

In terms of carrying an XDM, which holster do you think would be more comfortable without causing wear to pants I'm wearing.

The reason I ask is that I hear of those who have the supertuck who complain about the fact that the muzzle sticks out past the end of the holster causing wear or holes in the pants you wear. From what I can see in pictures is that the MTAC is a fully enclosed holster that covers the end of the muzzle that may help prevent this.

CBST
    MTAC

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by joshp14 View Post
    Hey all...first post here but I've been doing a lot of reading.

In terms of carrying an XDM, which holster do you think would be more comfortable without causing wear to pants I'm wearing.

The reason I ask is that I hear of those who have the supertuck who complain about the fact that the muzzle sticks out past the end of the holster causing wear or holes in the pants you wear. From what I can see in pictures is that the MTAC is a fully enclosed holster that covers the end of the muzzle that may help prevent this.

CBST
    MTAC

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh
    There are so many quick and painless solutions to the problem (if it exists for a particular gun) that it's a non-issue to me, even if the MTAC was made for my gun - which it isn't.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Hs anyone counted up how many threads there are here that pose the question Crossbreed or MTAC?

I think both models are innovations and very well built. I am a big fan of looks and fit/finish of a product. IMHO, the MTAC has a much better fit and finish. and just looks nicer. The MTAC also is available with exchangeable holster bodies, a big plus, if you decide to change CCW pieces. Both comapnies seem to have very quick turnaround times and great customer service, its just a matter of which one fits your personal tastes better. I would go for the MTAC.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sorry if its been beat to death...but I'm looking for somone that has maybe tried both instead of the CB guys saying they love their ST's or the MTAC guys saying they love theirs. If someone has owned or tried both that can compare that would give me a better idea. Thanks for the responses so far.

VIP Member
    I prefer the MTAC. To me the big selling point was the changeable holster bodies.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

i'm fixing to order me a new holster and have been trying to decide between those also. yes the mtac does look better but it is going to be concealed anyways so that really doesn't matter to me. the fully covered barrel, shorter turn around time, better quailty in production, and options of different holster bodies is a plus for the mtac.

the cost, the lifetime warranty, and being able to get the leather in black(didn't see that option on the mtac) is a plus for the crossbreed(mainly the lifetime warranty). i usually over think my decisions so it'll probably be a couple of weeks before i order and even after i order i will second guess my decision.

i've also heard of concern from the holsters with the open barrell ends having the guns ride up out of the holsters some and exposing the trigger. has anyone had any expense with that issue.

They both work, and work well, equally comfortable/concealable to ME.

That said, I'm using MTACs for pretty much all IWB carry these days. The changeable kydex body has no bearing to me, but on the same note, the REPLACEABLE (if damaged) kydex body is quite valuable.

In my experience, Crossbreed has great customer service, Comptac has exemplary customer service, and their 5-7 day delivery times are simply outstanding.

Dang, I guess it's pretty hard to go wrong with either holster!

Quote Originally Posted by joshp14 View Post
    Sorry if its been beat to death...but I'm looking for somone that has maybe tried both instead of the CB guys saying they love their ST's or the MTAC guys saying they love theirs. If someone has owned or tried both that can compare that would give me a better idea. Thanks for the responses so far.
    I have 2 CB's and one MTAC. Functionally they are about the same. I don't think the changeable kydex is a big selling point because I don't have time to swap shells every time I go out and want to carry a different piece. So I have a holster for each pistol.I have CB's for my 2 Glocks G22 and G30 and an MTAC for my Kimber TLE II.

I agree the MTAC looks a bit better than the CB but they seem to function the same. I'd go with whichever one is cheaper everything else being equal. The horsehide option for the CB is a good one if you carry in a hot humid environment. I do and glad I got horsehide.

YMMV.

I carry a full size 4" XD40 in an MTAC at about 3:30, and love it. It's very comfortable, doesn't move once it's on the hip, and the retention can be adjusted. I too was concerned about the muzzle issue, which ended up being the final straw in my decision to go with the MTAC over the Crossbreed. I don't own, nor have I owned a Crossbreed, but know several that do. They all love theirs as much as I love my MTAC.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Hs anyone counted up how many threads there are here that pose the question Crossbreed or MTAC?
    One less than 9mm vs .45 ACP?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have both, and like both. I have the CrossBreed MiniTuck for my Kel-tec PF-9 and the Comp-tac Minataur for my S&W M&P 9

The CBMT is stiffer leather and has wide metal clips that chew up your belt leather. I don't mind the stiffness, in fact it seems to aid in getting it in place, but am considering ordering some comp-tac clips to replace them.

The CTM is more pliable and has very flexible narrow plastic clips. This rig seems a little harder to quickly get in place, but I like the narrow less destructive clips. The clips have more adjustment capability (more holes) than the CBMT. Also, there is the ability to swap out kydex for different weapons, but I don't ever see myself doing this. I just have a different holster for different weapons.

I do plan on getting an M&P 9C some day, and it will fit into the holster I have for the full sized 9.

Also, I have a separate set of velcro clips for the CrossBreed but haven't tried them yet.

Hope this helps.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Thanks for the responses. I'm torn on what to get but I think I'm leaning towards the MTAC. I'm sure it was change a few times between now and when I order it but I think the selling point for me is the entire length holster. I dont think I would have much use or desire to swap out the holster if I ever did want to carry a different pistol.

If you want to compare apples to apples, compare the crossbreed to the Comptac Spartan. The Spartan is the MTAC without the extra piece of leather on the backside. Last time I checked it was cheaper than the crossbreed.

I too like the covered muzzle option on the comptac. I like to wear my gun kind of low and I could see it getting popped up out of place if I sit on a hard chair or caught it on the arm of an armchair.

The MTAC is compy, molds to your body, and secure. It is not eating my high dollar belt.
    Keep your powder dry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links