Tell me about the maxcon v please - Page 2

Tell me about the maxcon v please

This is a discussion on Tell me about the maxcon v please within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't believe I have any pics of me wearing it, but I do have a number of pics I posted in the gallery of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about the maxcon v please

DC Founder
    I don't believe I have any pics of me wearing it, but I do have a number of pics I posted in the gallery of mine. I really like the holster when I need to wear an IWB. It's comfortable, rides high and stable and really seems to slim down a 1911. You will never regret investing in that particular holster....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Maclean can you tell us the diffs btwn the Watch 6 and the Max Con V that you have noticed?

God Bless & Happy Easter
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

Quote Originally Posted by MTGun
    Maclean can you tell us the diffs btwn the Watch 6 and the Max Con V that you have noticed?

God Bless & Happy Easter
    Okay, bear in mind I'm on my first cup of coffee so I hope this makes sense. The most striking difference to me is in the loop attachment methods. The Watch Six loops attach to the body of the holster in an upward direction and then fold over the waistband to attach to the belt. Every time I tried to reholster the force would try to push the holster lower inside the pants (as normal) but the loops would roll right in with it and try to pull my belt along for the ride... ever see the movie "The Black Hole"?

The loops on the Max-Con V are attached to the outer face of the holster in a downward direction that creates a pocket and sort of traps everything into place. Really difficult to explain without close up pics of each but that one detail alone makes a big difference when reholstering - at least to me. The Max-Con's rear loop is also just a tad bit longer than the front (1/8" maybe?), not enough that it's even noticeable during the draw but when seated it lets the gun rock forward just a touch so it's more comfortable.

As I've said before, the Watch Six is a fine holster and the guys at Sparks make great quality gear, hard to go wrong with anything they offer. Maybe it's my body type or the way I carry but Gary's Max-Con V works best for me (I'm 5'-10", 185 lbs BTW). Still, I Will have one of Kevin's exotics someday ... did you SEE THAT PYTHON RIG???
    Jack

please forgive the long post. read it not because of who writes it, but who it is about. let me preface this by saying i am NOT a professional gun slinger. i'm not a high speed, low drag operator, i'm not a snake eatin, bounty huntin, death dealin, stone cold gunfighter. instead, i'm a husband, father of 2, and adament self preservationist. i carry to protect my wife and kids, and to make sure that i get home each day.

due to a change in our financial situation, my wife and i are heavily prioritizing. for me, this means narrowing my focus from how many guns i have, to having guns i can really use. this has led me to sell a few odds n ends guns for which i had no real purpose but to own. i took a long hard look at my needs as a concealed permit holder and range nut. in short, most all the handgunning i do can be covered w a 5" 1911. i have 3. a sorta custom norinco, a kimber custom, and a classic gold match that has been set up to carry. took some of the money from these sales to augment my 1911's. while searching for a holster to allow me to carry a 5" gun even in florida under a t shirt, i settled on an iwb. i looked at web sites, and made a short list of makers i wanted to contact. most of whom, had a voice mail to answere calls. i fully understand that. but, just for kicks, late one evening, well after business hrs, i called Brommeland Gunleather. "hi, this is gary" was the answere on the line. ******, another voice mai. i began to leave my infor, and the voice mail spoke. it said, " hold on let me get a pen". i had a real person on the line. and the person was not the clerk, nightwatchman, or janitor. it was the dude who would later make my holster and belts.

the customer service from Gary was outstanding. we spoke at length about my needs in a rig, and what i didnt need as well. in all that evening, we spoke for about 2 hrs. he stated that his concern was what i needed, not how fast he could close a deal. while on the phone, my 20mo old son was stung by a wasp. on the throat. gary guided me through some critical stages as this was the first time he'd been stung. i hung up w gary to get my son in bed after making sure he was ok. about 1 hour later, the phone rang. it was gary calling back to make sure all was well. how's that for taking a personal interest in your customer. in talking some more, we settled on a max con v, and belt. gary was very respectful of the other makers on my list. never a bad word. thats class from a guy who wants to make a sale. he offered some names and styles of other makers for me to look at. i came back to the max con v.

which brings me to the product review section of my dissertation. the max con v and belt. wow. no really, wow. the belt is a full 1.5' wide and is very thick. but, is very comfortable. i will not use gunrag terms like "supple" and "fits like a glove". you guys can read that anytime. the words i will use are: tough, strong, resiliant, sharp, classy, reliable. nuff said. and this rig, the max con v. the fit to the gun is absolutely amazing. i can damn near read the roll marks from the slide of the gun he molded it around. beautiful. lets talk retention. this is not a holster, this is a waist safe. the gun will stay put. trust me on this. this belt/holster combo is more comfortable than i could have imagined. standing, walking, very little running, it is comfortable. and its comfortable seated. dont know how, just know that it is. doesnt dig, poke, prod or rub. its that good.

with the permission of the members of this board, i would like to do a more in depth review of this rig in action. i am attending Mr Randy Caine's handgun 101 at southern exposure dec 12-15. i will be using this rig and would like to post my experience using this rig in a class such as this promises to be. members, you know i'm long winded, but for others searching for a carry rig, this testing in this class will be a great resource. please tell me if you are interested. looking foreward to hearing from all of you. anyone w any q's about
    gary's work, please ask. i'll give you my honest answere. this is an unsolicited write up. i like to give respect and business to someone who not only delivers what they promised, but more.

I'm sorry I did not get this review posted in this forum sooner. I did make a more in depth in 1911forum.com and then, well, just didnt get'er done here. My apologies.

Again, I'm no Stephen Camp, but I'll attempt to convey my thoughts and opinions clearly.
    Ya cant go wrong w this Max Con V. Well, I guess ya could, but it would be very surprising. Anyway, at Mr Cain's class, I was one of only 3 shooters w simply a ccw. The remaining 11 were leo or security career types. Great class, if you get a chance. I was also the only one working from a cover garment thru the entire class (heavy jacket on Fri as it was cold as a wicken practitioner's mammary gland), RR vest on Sat (nice), Stearns WalMart raincoat on Sun (guess what the weather was like then). The MCV was unbelievably comfortable. Attaining a firing grip was no trouble. The pistol cleared the leather w no undue resistance from the holster while drawing. Holstering was no problem. Which does bring me to a point of interest. Although this rig has no steel band in the mouth, the quality of the leather used is such that even now, 3 months and a LOT of draws later, the mouth continues to stay open well enough to allow proper one hand holstering. Even if the rig closes some, I have learned to place the muzzle againt the body shield and 'press' the slide against the shield and press the gun home. No problem. I dont mean point the muzzle at my hip, and twist or anything like that, I mean just pushing the slide a little against the body shield while pressing down. Just like drawing to retention. In fact, I think my draw has gotten much tighter to my side while moving the gun up to my pec (as in the retention position). Anyway, the class was very enjoyable using this holster. We did some firing from kneel, quick kneel, prone and other positions. We shot on the move, and practiced drawing while moving and shooting. The MCV was comfotable and stable thru all of the exercises.

The MCV's concealability is a BIG point for me. I can wear it over an 'A frame' wife beater and under a slightly oversized polo shirt and it dissappears. My wife loves it. No more need for a denim shirt, or the much despised photo terrorist vest. Not that I dont still wear that stuff, just not out to eat anymore w her. And, if like me, you do like a denim shirt as a cover garment, then this is one 'no see um' holster.

Well, , I hope this helps. If you have any further questions that I could humbly help with, please post. And please post your first impressions w the holster, and later after some time perhaps a follow up.

Dan

ps-this was posted in another forum I frequent, bit it is the best of the reviews on this product i could find. hope it sheds some light.

Mclean3 are you saying that even when sitting or bending foward that even a maxcon V will cause a 1911 grip to print? I notice with my rafters rig and my sparks summer special rig that when I'am sitting and lean foward or bend a certain way the grip will print,and I do dress around the gun. Thanks for any further input.

Well, if you bend over too far at the waist then yes, the grip will print to some degree. I haven't found it to be a problem just when sitting down though or leaning forward so long as it's not too far. I think that was the idea behind Ed Brown's Bobtail grip design, reducing the MSH's sharp corner so it doesn't print through clothing.

At this point I think the best advice you could get would be from Gary himself. There may well be a solution that only he can offer - slightly different cant, different carry position, who knows. In all honesty, he really is "The Man" when it comes to issues like this and I learn something new each time I speak with him.
    Jack

When leaning over or in any other way pulling your covering garment tightly over the pistol grip, it is almost impossible NOT to print. Solution = don't do that. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. Bought both because they are much easier to conceal. however after using my Max Con V's for a while now, I have no problems concealing my full size 1911.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links